Big Rock First time Diff maintenance. Couple of questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually if you don't use gloves over time the chemicals from what your using will get into your skin and could cause major problems later in life. Ask some older mechanics
I am an older mechanic. 48 and been working on cars and motorcycles since I was 12. My hands are fine.

I am an older mechanic. 48 and been working on cars and motorcycles since I was 12. My hands are fine.
Okay then. Cool that's awesome! Glad your hands are healthy. In general it's bad to expose your skin to carcinogens (ie) brake fluid, etc. Maybe not you but alot of people can get sick over time. Skin is the biggest organ of a human body and its very porous so it absorbs.
Kinda like being poisoned slowly by antifreeze. The response isn't immediate but if continued you'll get deathly sick and die.
Just trying to help out other humans to extend their lives.

What do you need rubber gloves for? Afraid to get your hands dirty? Lol
Nope. Working in the house with grease and diff oil. That and I don't have to stop and wash my hands ever time my kids need something. Gloves are cheap.

Actually if you don't use gloves over time the chemicals from what your using will get into your skin and could cause major problems later in life. Ask some older mechanics
Okay then. Cool that's awesome! Glad your hands are healthy. In general it's bad to expose your skin to carcinogens (ie) brake fluid, etc. Maybe not you but alot of people can get sick over time. Skin is the biggest organ of a human body and its very porous so it absorbs.
Kinda like being poisoned slowly by antifreeze. The response isn't immediate but if continued you'll get deathly sick and die.
Just trying to help out other humans to extend their lives.

Meh i am one of those Older Mechanics 43 and i have had no issues and never needed B!tch Mittens 🤷‍♂️

Edit:
just also want to say the only reason i said that is from what i have seen over the years people Now days are to "thin skined" if you live your life in a Bubble and don't get exposed to some "unhealthy things" from time to time you will never get a robust healthy immune system

i am 43 and have only had the Flu 4 times in my life other than being out of shape from being Lazy i have no heath issues i am am smoker since i was 14 and i Rarely Drink

don't take this as an attack im only saying Yes Some people do need to take some steps form certain things but for the most part just messing with a little bit of grease from rc cars is NOT going to kill you

Last edited:
Love the way these threads get off topic 😋

As a newbie RC guy and reluctant wrencher I've replaced the crown and input gear on my BR. This was done over 2 different times (note when replacing the Diff crown gear replace the input gear too). And it was easy. Watched a YouTube video and followed along.

After working on some other unnamed Chinese RCs the Arrmas are an absolute breeze.

I've replaced the servo in my BR too and that was very easy.

Love the way these threads get off topic 😋

As a newbie RC guy and reluctant wrencher I've replaced the crown and input gear on my BR. This was done over 2 different times (note when replacing the Diff crown gear replace the input gear too). And it was easy. Watched a YouTube video and followed along.

After working on some other unnamed Chinese RCs the Arrmas are an absolute breeze.

Totally agree these things are so nice to work on compared to other brands

My boy had a Laegendary MT before his Big Rock. I had to replace the rear diff which was a pain. The front needs replacing now and the entire truck has to be torn down to replace it. They use weird 2.6mm Phillips screws. I've been replacing them with M3 hexs so I can use my speed tips. I hate that thing. He paid $150 of his own money for it. Wish I knew then what I know now. Always the case though.

In this case I would assume silicone oil is safe to handle, or are you saying that diff oil is toxic?

So I removed the 4 screws on the bottom and pulled the front diff out.

I was real careful once I pulled the drive shafts off and getting the Yokes apart, but of course it flew apart all at once. :p

Is the first bearing on the input gear supposed to sit flush against the back of the input?

View attachment 129092

Reason I ask is when I took the yoke apart and re-seated the diff and input gear the face of the input sits on the side of the diff there is a TINY gap. I've read numerous times when tightening the yokes back together to make sure not to get it too tight because it will bind. I put them back together without screws and it still feels like the input is rubbing the diff part way around. It's nice and smooth then one section it's like it rubs a bit tighter. Not sure if this is normal or even matter once it's greased. I know nothing is perfect.

View attachment 129094

• Speaking of re-greasing (not refilling). Before do you re-grease do you just wipe off the old grease or do you use a de-greaser to clean the housing, diff, & input?

• When opening up the diff is it necessary to remove the bearing and shim?

• When you open up the diff to refill or change fluid and put it back together should you Locktite those screws since it metal to metal. I know it's typical, but wasn't sure being inside the yoke and greased up.

• I didn't have rubber gloves. I'm not going any further without them :LOL: First world problems.

I did figure out that the yokes only go one way around the diff and input (each side goes on a particular side). Then saw the exploded view that showed the same way.
So I removed the 4 screws on the bottom and pulled the front diff out.

I was real careful once I pulled the drive shafts off and getting the Yokes apart, but of course it flew apart all at once. :p

Is the first bearing on the input gear supposed to sit flush against the back of the input?

View attachment 129092

Reason I ask is when I took the yoke apart and re-seated the diff and input gear the face of the input sits on the side of the diff there is a TINY gap. I've read numerous times when tightening the yokes back together to make sure not to get it too tight because it will bind. I put them back together without screws and it still feels like the input is rubbing the diff part way around. It's nice and smooth then one section it's like it rubs a bit tighter. Not sure if this is normal or even matter once it's greased. I know nothing is perfect.

View attachment 129094

• Speaking of re-greasing (not refilling). Before do you re-grease do you just wipe off the old grease or do you use a de-greaser to clean the housing, diff, & input?

• When opening up the diff is it necessary to remove the bearing and shim?

• When you open up the diff to refill or change fluid and put it back together should you Locktite those screws since it metal to metal. I know it's typical, but wasn't sure being inside the yoke and greased up.

• I didn't have rubber gloves. I'm not going any further without them :LOL: First world problems.

I did figure out that the yokes only go one way around the diff and input (each side goes on a particular side). Then saw the exploded view that showed the same way.
hi. I have the same issue with my diff when I put back the yokes it’s turn nice and smooth then one section it's like it rubs a bit tighter. What do you do with yours? you find a way to make it turn smoothly all around or you just put grease and run it like that? thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back