First time LIPO Issue, should I be worried?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volasko

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Can someone provide some guidance on an issue I'm having with a GENACE 3S Lipo. When I plug it into my new DOTA D6 it won't even read the 3rd cell. I already opened up the connection end softpack and took the readings right from the high gauge wire to eliminate a balance plug wire issue. is it possible there is a disconnect deeper into the battery I can check. Its been so long since I last used it I can't remember the last time it held a charge. I do remember sending off a half pipe last season and having a decent impact to the point of a pack coming loose. I always storage charge after and I believe this one had no problem doing so. Checking a few months later I noticed the issue when I was playing around with my new charger. I included a picture with labels where I took off the readings. The first letter was where I had the positive lead and the second being the negative lead. My readings below:

C-1: 4.02 V
C-2: 8.05 V
C-3: -0.02 V

1-2: 4.03 V
1-3: -4.03 V
2-3: -8.08 V

1) Is my 3rd cell dead and gone?
2) Is this at risk currently and should I get rid of it, if so?
3) The 8V reading has me particularly confused. On the charger is shows both cells around 4V.

Feb 25th Edit:
So I now know that each cell is wired in series which kind of explains 8V reading. I'm still a little tripped up by the polarity reading though so maybe someone more knowledgeable could explain given how I detailed how I took the readings above. It must be a dead cell and not an internal disconnect issue. In a series connection a disconnect would be an open circuit and wouldn't read any voltage. What also has me tripped up is how the balance wires work. Why is it that my meter measurement takeoff points match the balance wires location, yet the reading show the voltages added together?

Genace 3S.jpg

Last edited:
You are describing a bricked non cared for lipo that was well used. I would dispose of it. Only because you have an inkling of an idea that it is not safe. And you came here to question further,
And I couldn't advise you to play around with it. Only experienced and confident hobbyists play with lipos in this regard. At their own risk. My self included. I know when its time to fix or dispose of a lipo.
Your voltage reads don't even look like you were taking them properly. Cell 3 with 8v??? DIspose of it safely. You got your moneys worth.
Don't neglect your lipos. When sitting for 2-3 months and longer they need to be storage charged again (3.8v/cell) every few months at minimum. And after every single bash. Not just sit around dead or even full charged. Especially for the the time you stated.
Just my advice.
Be safe.
Edit: Good to have a Lipo Cell checker on hand. They are inexpensive.

Last edited:
Yes, high risk, do not use and do not charge.
There is definitely something wrong either in the way you measure or in the wiring, like you stated.
If you are good at soldering and are not afraid you can open the heatshrink and look at the lipo wiring (NOT THE SILVER LIPO CELL ITSELF).

If the 3rd wire is disconnected you can try re-soldering or you could try making a 2 cell.

My opinion, get rid of it. Discharge completely using a resistor or light bulb, twist power leads together once that is done and throw away.

You are describing a bricked non cared for lipo that was well used. I would dispose of it. Only because you have an inkling of an idea that it is not safe. And you came here to question further,
And I couldn't advise you to play around with it. Only experienced and confident hobbyists play with lipos in this regard. At their own risk. My self included. I know when its time to fix or dispose of a lipo.
Your voltage reads don't even look like you were taking them properly. Cell 3 with 8v??? DIspose of it safely. You got your moneys worth.
Don't neglect your lipos. When sitting for 2-3 months and longer they need to be storage charged again (3.8v/cell) every few months at minimum. And after every single bash. Not just sit around dead or even full charged. Especially for the the time you stated.
Just my advice.
Be safe.
Edit: Good to have a Lipo Cell checker on hand. They are inexpensive.
I updated my original post to include more details of the issue. I wouldn't say I neglected them, it was a new pack last year that got me a season worth of use. Whenever it sat for more than a week or two I would storage charge them. I'm more curious to know what is going on as it is becoming increasingly clear its shot.

Is it a balance lead issue or a cell issue? That is the question.
How does it look on the charger?
What do the cells read.
What are the IR's?
Balance lead wires look ok?
I think its a dead cell beyond saving. A dead cell sitting like that months and all. (n)
Some cells can be saved.
:cool: I don't know what you have in front of you.
Start with accurate cell reads and IR #'s.🤷‍♂️

I updated my original post to include more details of the issue. I wouldn't say I neglected them, it was a new pack last year that got me a season worth of use. Whenever it sat for more than a week or two I would storage charge them. I'm more curious to know what is going on as it is becoming increasingly clear its shot.
I've had batteries drop a cell for no apparent reason and I am a anal with my batteries. It happens. I will say there is no need to storage charge after a week or 2. They shouldn't need it in that short period of time. They sit in stores and warehouses much longer than that.

Is it a balance lead issue or a cell issue? That is the question.
How does it look on the charger?
What do the cells read.
What are the IR's?
Balance lead wires look ok?
I think its a dead cell beyond saving. A dead cell sitting like that months and all. (n)
Some cells can be saved.
:cool: I don't know what you have in front of you.
Start with accurate cell reads and IR #'s.🤷‍♂️
Answers to your questions below:
- The balance leads look in good order and match my finding from my multimeter (well I'm still confused about polarity measurements). I didn't do a continuity test but everything passes the visual checks
- I showed and explained how I took my readings in my original post, with a picture of where I took off the measurements. I also explained where I put my leads and kept a consistent system when taking my readings.
- When plugged into my charger it only reads two cells at around 4.05 V, it doesn't even pick up the 3rd cell
- I haven't checked the IR yet, I'll have to figure out how to do that or if my DOTA D6 can do that already.

Also, I put an update with some additional thoughts and points from some basic research I did.

Last edited:
My guess. Your 3rd cell is shorted out, therfore you are measuring the 2 good cells as reverse polarity.
Hota will measure IR as part of the charge cycle. Since your 3rd cell is dead it won't let you do that. Any IR reading would be impacted by the bad cell and more or less meaningless.

Discard! The price for a new lipo is less than a new house... if a lipo is giving you attitude, just get rid of it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back