Kraton First Time R/C Truck - Kraton EXB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Htown

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm very new to r/c trucks/cars, looking into getting my first one and I think I have settled on a kraton exb. I have experience with nitro planes and nitro/electric helicopters, but I'm out of my element here. I have a list attached with what I have so far. I'm looking for a build that will get me into this hobby and keep me interested with room to grow for a while if I end up enjoying it. As of right now I will be using this setup in my 1/2 acre back yard with a lot of trees to relax after work.

Will this setup suit my needs? Any changes you would recommend? I was hoping to stay as close to $1000 all in as possible. Will this be too much for my yard in general? Anything I will need to run this thing that's not on my list?

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_20211027-221439_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I like most of your items but to start i would go with a few different choices
specifically a more entry level charger like the gensacearespammers I mars 3 a perfect entry level charger $49.99 you can always get a better one if you get super into the hobby later on and a cheaper radio something like a dx5c with a sr315 receiver combo for 149.99 and just like that you are saving $160.00 this is just my opinion check out my review of the Imars Charger if you want. I love my Kraton one of my favorites in my collection

Thanks for the options. I'd like to save money where I can, but also make sure I have the performance to grow into if I decide I like it. I have the money to buy what I want, I just know the resale value in this hobby is very low. I took a massive loss on my plane/heli fleet when I got out.

Is it really worth it going to the max 6 1650kv combo? I saw the firma 160amp combo with the 1250kv motor is about $100 less than the max6/1650kv. I've read that the firma 160 is a rebranded max 6. What are your thoughts on these? I do want to be able to wheelie "fairly" easily.

Is there anything else I will need such as fluids or anything else? I'd like to make sure I order everything I need to get running.

Thanks for the options. I'd like to save money where I can, but also make sure I have the performance to grow into if I decide I like it. I have the money to buy what I want, I just know the resale value in this hobby is very low. I took a massive loss on my plane/heli fleet when I got out.

Is it really worth it going to the max 6 1650kv combo? I saw the firma 160amp combo with the 1250kv motor is about $100 less than the max6/1650kv. I've read that the firma 160 is a rebranded max 6. What are your thoughts on these? I do want to be able to wheelie "fairly" easily.

Is there anything else I will need such as fluids or anything else? I'd like to make sure I order everything I need to get running.
Get diff oil f/c/r accordingly and shock oil accordingly. I would personally use what the stock uses but you will want to make sure its properly filled before running your truck. Would suck to have to wait to run your truck if you find out theres no oil in one of the diffs so you have to order and wait for it before running.

Even if you do decide that spektrum combo, you can get it for about 125 on Jenny’s.

But why go exb to put rtr equipment? Go hobby or king castle😏

Even if you do decide that spektrum combo, you can get it for about 125 on Jenny’s.

But why go exb to put rtr equipment? Go hobby or king castle😏
Just my 2 cents. Stock electronics for cheap on the exb means nothing needs to be changed but the electronics later as an upgrade. all the beefed up parts are already on. imo
Buuuut....thats only if youre trying to save money right now. Cause you will end up with a castle or hw combo at some point.

Just my 2 cents. Stock electronics for cheap on the exb means nothing needs to be changed but the electronics later as an upgrade. all the beefed up parts are already on. imo

I hear that, I just figure grab the system I’d grab later first, instead of buying 2 systems in the end.
He was prepared to spend 220 on a spek combo, don’t think hw max 6 is much more?.

Yup, save money in other places but go Max6 combo or Castle 1717. The rest is personal pref really. Lots of good batteries and chargers out there. I agree GT5 & DX5C are solid radios that won't break the bank.

One thing I did not see posted by him and it is all personal of course. What size pinion? 20T, 18T

If HW 1650\Max6 combo would that be a 20T to start? Think pinion that comes with it is way too small...could be wrong

One thing I did not see posted by him and it is all personal of course. What size pinion? 20T, 18T

If HW 1650\Max6 combo would that be a 20T to start? Think pinion that comes with it is way too small...could be wrong
I did a bit of searching and settled on an 18T pinion. Still researching cooling options. I live in texas so I guess I'm going to have to see how much this setup heats up as I progress.

I did a bit of searching and settled on an 18T pinion. Still researching cooling options. I live in texas so I guess I'm going to have to see how much this setup heats up as I progress.

Thx

I am in the same boat in Memphis. Trying to decide on 18/20T but I will run Game Changer fans on motor and ESC that I took off my sold Felony. Looking for a start point.

Thx

With those fans on it 20t should not be an issue at all. I run the 18t with a normal fan and it does not get over 125-130 running a full pack. I run in medium to low cut grass area.

So I got everything in and I'm assembling it, but there's no screws for the motor to mount to the plate. Anyone know what size and length I need for the HW 4985 1650kv?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back