First upgrade installed! I really need better tools...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT58

Very Active Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
  4. Talion
  5. Typhon TLR
  6. Vendetta
Just installed the Voltage Hobbies servo mount on my Notorious and realized how crappy some of my tools are. Stripped out 2 cheap Kobalt hex bits and ended up using the allen wrench in the box for the servo arm. Sounds like MIP is still the go-to name for those. Also realized some of those little screws are looooong and I think I'm going to get an electric screw driver. Any recommendations?

I'll probably grab all the stuff @WoodiE recommends in the welcome post as well:

Don't skimp on hex wrenches (Allen keys?) or torx bits.
Snap-on, Park Tools (the Snap-on if the cycling world) and Bondhus are fantastic, as well as, in the UK, Halfords Professional range.
Spend the extra and they'll last you the rest of your life.

Bear in mind that even though Arrma are American, they appear to use all metric fittings, so make sure you aren't bodging it with imperial tools.

Don't skimp on hex wrenches (Allen keys?) or torx bits.
Snap-on, Park Tools (the Snap-on if the cycling world) and Bondhus are fantastic, as well as, in the UK, Halfords Professional range.
Spend the extra and they'll last you the rest of your life.

Bear in mind that even though Arrma are American, they appear to use all metric fittings, so make sure you aren't bodging it with imperial tools.
Not sure if anyone uses standard hardware anymore, I know Team Losi and Team Associated used to. I know Associated switched to metric but I can't remember if Losi did too.

I’m afraid I don’t understand what you mean by “standard” hardware ?‍♂️

Well Arrma actually started out of the UK I believe (those from the ancestral home can correct me). Metric is used by people who like precision, imperial for when near enough is good enough :ROFLMAO:.....but seriously +1000 on the MIPs. There are some other good brands as well that people here use, but I'm firmly in the MIP stable. Drivers along with battery chargers and solding irons are something that you should always look to buy the best you can afford. Even if that means holding off buying for a few weeks or a month until you can afford it or it will cost you more in the long run

I’m afraid I don’t understand what you mean by “standard” hardware ?‍♂️
In the US we have standard which is like 0.50", 1/16", 5/64" ect then we have metric which is 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm ect.

Losi and Team Associated used to be made in the US so everything was standard hardware.

My old Losi Muggy uses all imperial size screw. Pain in the ass but not as bad as my old HPI Savage X which uses Phillips head screws!

My old Losi Muggy uses all imperial size screw. Pain in the ass but not as bad as my old HPI Savage X which uses Phillips head screws!
Phillips head with metric threads, at least the machine screws. Many of them used to use Phillips. I think Tamiya and perhaps Kyosho still do.

Either way, it sucks when you get a truck that uses imperial allen heads/threads or phillips head.

Just bought some mip speed tips...this will be a welcome change from my dynamite hand drivers. Those seem pretty darn good for hand drivers tho

I bought a 2mm MIP bit a year ago (as that's the screw I find most challenging to remove) and holy crap were the people right, it is the best tool I've ever used. My dynamite drivers were crap, my integy drivers were awful. I didn't even realize the play in new screws was unacceptable until I finally got that MIP bit. It's so perfectly snug that you need to give it a tiny push to slot into a screw. I use it in a drill and an old ratchet driver that takes drill style bits. I used to get about 100 screws out of a driver before I had to replace it, this MIP is way way past that and actually shows no visable wear at all, to the point where when I have a new screw, I still need to push a bit to slot it in.

Where do you guys buy your MIP tools at. Went to their site a few months ago and they are pricy. Is their an alternative?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back