Kraton First Upgrades help: Chassis Braces & Servo Mount - which brand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
Hello there.

So, the pre-story:
I had 3 RCs, but I had to sadly notice that I just don't have the time or money for them as a student...so, I'm selling all 3 on ebay (as none ot those is perfect as only RC) and will get myself an Arrma Kraton this month (sigh, bye bye Arrma BRCC, Stampede 2wd 3S, Cen Reeper :cry: )

So, I'm making a list of upgrades I will put in before the first ride... :

I WILL get:

- Radio
I will put in the Tactic Radio I have from the BRCC and will leave the original Radio at my LHS...he will even give me a 5€ discount as he might sell it to another poor soul. :D

- Exotec V2 Fan Mount & Dash 40mm Fan
Engine cooling is never a bad idea. What also adds to this is my driving style...when I'm bashing and not jumping I'm giving these cars absolute hell. (Fun Story: Me and a buddy who has an X-Maxx were out driving in a gravel pit. He could deplete a complete 8S pack without any issues. Then he let me drive. He enjoyed watching me drive...but that lasted 5 minutes until his car ran into the overheating protection [I was basically wheelying or drifting, no exceptions xD]. )

- Robitronic Dirt Bag
Well, there is nothing better than having a waterproof bag for transport of the car.

- Front & Rear Chassis Braces...and this is where I need your help !
I'm looking at 4 brands: GPM, Hot Racing, M2C, Voltage Hobbies.
I understand that the last 2 are better...but I'm from Germany, and only GPM and Hot Racing are sold here.
Basically, if I order M2C or Voltage I will have to wait a few weeks, probably pay a lot for the delivery, and pay at least 19% tax on the cost of parts AND delivery cost.
If I get GPM or Hot Racing it will be a 3 day delivery which will cost 5€ for all parts together.
The cost of the Front Chassis Brace: GPM 12€ ; HR 27€ ; M2C & Voltage ~ 25€ (without tax!)
The cost of the Rear Chassis Braces: GPM 14€ ; HR 30€ ; M2C & Voltage ~ 25€ (without tax!)

I MIGHT get:

- Servo Mount
Is this part really crucual? If yes, why?
Also, here we have the same problem with the brands.
Cost: GPM 14€ ; HR 27€ ; Voltage 23€ (without tax!)

- Servo: Team Corally CS-5226 HV
Is a new Servo obligatory?
TBH, weather I will get it or not really depends on how much I will get for my old cars...
Why the Corally? Well, it is 70€, waterproof, aluminium case, titanium gears and gives 18kg and 0,09secs/60° on 6V.
And, if I get it now, I can leave the original one in my LHS, and might also get 5-10€ discount for that.

I'm sorry if these question got answered somewhere else. :oops:

I would really like to hear an opinion on the list.
Is there really important stuff missing?
Is some of the stuff really not that important?
Are there better options I haven't looked at?
And most importantly, which brand would you pick for the Aluminium Upgrade parts?

Thanks a lot in advance guys :cool:(y)

Yes they have been answered. But voltage has terrible customer service these days. Being as how you are over sea I would just stick with hot racing and scorched parts. I would start with chassis braces and towers to begin with. If you are a jumper change the chassis and hubs. Find a bearing kit but other then that just upgrade what breaks.

Thanks.
Is Hot Racing really that much better than GPM that it is worth paying 2,5 times the price for it?
I also thought about going GPM for the start, and somwhen when my chassis bends going full f**k it and ordering Chassis, Towers & braces from M2C (so I only need to drive to customs once).

Worth seeing if Adrian, @Badtouch The basher , is able to help with supplying M2C bits from here in the UK at his website https://badtouchbreaker.com. Not sure if anything has changed in respect of VAT/customs now we've left the EU as it were but, might find that given you'd be paying the 20% VAT we get charged in the UK that might only leave postage/shipping cost to pay, and no customs assuming of course that nothing has changed there as a result of Brexit.
Cheers

@StChalky You're my hero man.
According to German customs, there is a period where nothing changes, and it is until the end of 2020.
So, for the rest of this year, I can order from the UK without having to pay tax or customs if I understand this rigth. :D
Cool, I'd better stock up on anything I want from the EU before the end of the year lol!

Noticed Custom Rc Upgrades out of the UK isn't on the list. Check them out for sure. DS3225 Amazon 25kg servo is best bang for the buck. Available worldwide from tons of online retailers.

@Notorious J Thanks, those parts look good, I might check them out too and see what they want for a delivery to Germany. Are they as good as M2C and GKA parts, or just convenient because easier available?
And thanks for the Servo, but I think I might stick with the Corally. I had their CS-5016 in my BRCC and man was it a sweet servo, night and day compared to the original Arrma one.

@Notorious J Thanks, those parts look good, I might check them out too and see what they want for a delivery to Germany. Are they as good as M2C and GKA parts, or just convenient because easier available?
And thanks for the Servo, but I think I might stick with the Corally. I had their CS-5016 in my BRCC and man was it a sweet servo, night and day compared to the original Arrma one.
The Custom Rc Upgrades parts are very good. I have their suspension mounts on my Notorious 6s and they are flawless thus far. I imagine all their offerings would be of comparable quality.

Get the carbon fiber towers from this guy in Germany. CF is strong, but more flexible than metal, so you won't break other stuff like the diff housings. The rear is crucial, the front I never changed on my 6s because it never bent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Tun...502518?hash=item56b9ddb636:g:wXAAAOSw4vpb1z3j

GPM is crap, HR is pretty good.

Servo upgrade is definitely necessary on the Kraton 6s, the mount you can modify with metal legs for very little cost, or get the HR, or whatever is cheapest metal option for you. I don't have any experience with the plastic stock servo mount since they added reinforcement from the original V1 that flexed more than Arnold schwarzenegger.

RPM front bumper is another necessity I think. The stock arms are pretty strong, but if you break them replace with RPM.

I never broke a wing mount, maybe because I had the T Bone Racing rear bumper for extra protection?

The necessity list should also include a hardened pinion like Tekno or Robinson Racing. 15T was my sweet spot. A full set of rubber sealed bearings. Day 1 you need to open the diffs and change the oil weights, at least some stiff oil in the center or you'll blow some tires. While you're in there I'd highly recommend an aluminum diff cup for the center, they can blow apart easily or just leak.

If it seems like your steering is a bit slow, vague, inaccurate then I would recommend an aluminum servo mount and to shim the servo saver with 1/2" snap rings.

20200210_174531.jpg

20200210_180332.jpg

If you're on mostly loose surfaces then you might not notice enough to justify the cost of the mount. I went with the armorwerks on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Alumin...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

tow_glinka - Here are the Upgrades I went with which has now put me over the $1200.00 dollar club for all of my Hop-ups! I went with a lot of parts from #M2CRacing since Mitch makes some high-end quality parts for my ARRMA rigs and he always has stock on parts.

Here are the upgrades I have done so far:
M2C Shock Towers
M2C Goliath Chassis
GPM RACING Turnbuckles front and rear
RPM A-arms front and Rear
PowerHD Servo (Waterproof)

Attachments

• GPM RACING TURNBUCKLES.jpeg
    GPM RACING TURNBUCKLES.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 61
  • M2C - Goliath Chassis.jpg
    M2C - Goliath Chassis.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 65
  • m2c shock towers.jpeg
    m2c shock towers.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 57
  • PowerHD Servo.jpg
    PowerHD Servo.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
My experience with GPM turnbuckles, or GPM in general is bad. There's nothing wrong with the stock metal turnbuckles.
@jonUF02 - They can't be that bad after the bashing they took on this session last weekend since nothing broke! I mean I was hitting 20ft airs no problem without any issues so far! Check out the video!
Letting the #v3 loose.JPG

@Uplift-RC Nice little bash. :D Although I have to say, my BRCC survived worse treatment (lets just say a tripple backflip is possible with the BRCC and the right ramp). :ROFLMAO:

So, as it looks like I might go with M2C Braces and a GKA Servo Mount as I can hopefully get them from the UK.
I won't change the Chassis or Shock Towers for now, they will have to go when they break. :)

@Uplift-RC Nice little bash. :D Although I have to say, my BRCC survived worse treatment (lets just say a tripple backflip is possible with the BRCC and the right ramp). :ROFLMAO:

So, as it looks like I might go with M2C Braces and a GKA Servo Mount as I can hopefully get them from the UK.
I won't change the Chassis or Shock Towers for now, they will have to go when they break. :)
Your first big air that you don't land on all 4's your shock towers will bend...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back