Fix adaptor or just use to change battery connection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edough13

Bashing, Speed running and family!!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Notorious
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vorteks
So got a good deal on some Gold edt 5200 3s batteries but they are dean's. So bought some wireless connectors/adapters deans to IC5 and first run broke the fabulous solder job on one of the adapters. So never tried to change connection on battery but seems I'm better off cutting off dean's and using these adapter tips to solder and convert battery to IC5? I know also connections cause more resistance which is bad so I guess in short is it hard to solder and change battery connections?
IMG_20201005_184320131.jpg

You need a decent soldering iron (50W or more I'd say) with a hefty tip. Please change those out or get someone to do it, deans suck.

if you keep the deans plug please keep a bag of marshmellows nearby for the camp fire. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:??But seriously swap out those deans.
Honestly haven't had any issues with dean's on my batteries, only battery I've had an issue with was higher end battery I have being Dynamite Reaction2 3s have dead cell 3. But I'm tired of adapters for sure and don't want the added resistance either so definitely be changing out my connections for IC5 ?

Learn to solder, or get someone to do it for you..??
I would happily solder them for you, but it's a long trip for me to come over..?

Oh come on it's not that far?. I know how to solder just haven't done any battery connections and have a smaller tip on my iron. Will have to pick up a bigger tip and I'll be good to go!

Hi, I am new into RC.
What is a difference between using plug adapters instead soldering a new plug directly to a battery?
Do you lose some power, when there is more connectors between a battery and the motor?

Oh come on it's not that far?. I know how to solder just haven't done any battery connections and have a smaller tip on my iron. Will have to pick up a bigger tip and I'll be good to go!
NO, You will NOT be good to go. Here are some of my recommendations, going by your experience level.
- Get an 80 watt (or better) iron with a chisel tip. Save your pencil iron for the small jobs. It will almost be useless unless you're really good at soldering.
- When using a soldering iron, the general rule is 'Go in hot, come out quick'. I have a 250 watt iron for special occasions.
- Do NOT just replace the tip on your old iron. I'm betting it's 25-40 watts if that.
- You will burn a couple of connectors at first. I, and most techs, have hundreds of hours at the bench. Don't get frustrated. Remember your first Deans?
- Get a soldering jig (two arms and two alligator clips), or they make a jig that fits most all sizes. That's what I use and it's one of my most used tools.
- When I started racing MTV was the big thing. Today they have Youtube. There are hundreds of great videos on how to solder a specific connector.

HTH, Dave

Hi, I am new into RC.
What is a difference between using plug adapters instead soldering a new plug directly to a battery?
Do you lose some power, when there is more connectors between a battery and the motor?
It does add some resistance and also more points of failure and or loose connections. On the bench or when doing some charging all may be fine but when you're putting these huge batteries in these cars and purposely launching them to the moon, less points of failure the better.

NO, You will NOT be good to go. Here are some of my recommendations, going by your experience level.
- Get an 80 watt (or better) iron with a chisel tip.
*Looks at $250 FX951 station on bench with a 70 watt iron, hmm...

@spazik some added resistance but main issue is the current rating on smaller connectors. On the 6S rigs you are easily drawing over 100A consistently and Dean's are rated at 30A and will melt. Adapters across more capable connectors are ok but always add another point of failure.

- Get an 80 watt (or better) iron with a chisel tip. Save your pencil iron for the small jobs. It will almost be useless unless you're really good at soldering.
- When using a soldering iron, the general rule is 'Go in hot, come out quick'. I have a 250 watt iron for special occasions.
- Do NOT just replace the tip on your old iron. I'm betting it's 25-40 watts if that.
- You will burn a couple of connectors at first. I, and most techs, have hundreds of hours at the bench. Don't get frustrated. Remember your first Deans?
- Get a soldering jig (two arms and two alligator clips), or they make a jig that fits most all sizes. That's what I use and it's one of my most used tools.
- When I started racing MTV was the big thing. Today they have Youtube. There are hundreds of great videos on how to solder a specific connector.

HTH, Dave
Wow way to dig up an old thread😂 and ya I'm just fine and solder is still holding on my connections. I've since this what over 6 MONTHS AGO gotten a new better soldering iron. Glad your a professional and know how to solder correctly 👍 maybe comment on a more recent post that needs help instead of my 6 month old post from last October 🤣

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back