Flex Seal Tape on Underside of Body?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCbasher33

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I have read about people putting duct tape on the underside of the body (Granite). I read about people using flex seal spray but what about the tape? I have some and was thinking of reenforcing the underside with that it pretty much rubber tape.

Any thoughts or reason I shouldn't?

Most use shoe goo and drywall tape. I am going to use Gorilla tape on my next body. I don’t know anything a out flex seal tape, but I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t work.

I have read about people putting duct tape on the underside of the body (Granite). I read about people using flex seal spray but what about the tape? I have some and was thinking of reenforcing the underside with that it pretty much rubber tape.

I use fiber tape/cloth tape. Seems to work good.

Whatever you do is probably stronger than it was. It'll still look good. I don't think there's loser of the top few techniques.
Gorilla tape is the only one I've really tried and it works. I bought drywall tape and E6000 but didn't do it.

I know people that used flex seal before so I say why not try the tape, anything is better than nothing.

The article posted above by slick2500 is very informative as I have read it before, but be warned, it's long but very well documented.

I used drywall tape, hot glue and flex seal spray on a short course body, somehow I got lucky and the hot glue stuck, I think the flex seal helped. It seams like a pretty good combo.

On my granite I used drywall tape, shoe goo, hot glue and duct tape but now it weighs almost a pound. I might take the tape off and use the flex seal because it looks better and might work better too.

It’s always nice to have a beater body (mine didn’t last long) to see where the weak spots will be. In my case it was the whole back end that got obliterated, it’s kind of funny.

I have tried all three and have gone back to just gorilla tape it gives you the right amount of re-enforcement and flex. The drywall and show goo in my experience made the body to rigid and I ended up with cracks my older taped bodies didn’t have, because they had additional flexibility. The flex seal it just to flexible in my experience it allowed for the body to crack and would pull the crack back, which made it look smaller, but didn’t prevent it. For sure do something thou these stock bodies seem to get thinner and thinner. Bash on ??

I've used Gorilla tape, but next time I think I'm letting my son take it to work and undercoat it. We were loosing traction on his plastic ramp and didn't feel like spending 40 bucks for grip tape, so he gave it a few coats, dusted it with blasting sand, then a few more coats. That stuff is tough.

Gorilla tape works really well, but I found using a heat gun on low temp helped a lot. Each strip I applied, I ran the gun over than pressed hard to make sure it adhered to every surface. It also helps to make sure you're covering all the inside curves and small corners. A lot cleaner and less complicated than the dry wall tape and shoe goo, and holding up very well.

Gorilla tape works really well, but I found using a heat gun on low temp helped a lot. Each strip I applied, I ran the gun over than pressed hard to make sure it adhered to every surface. It also helps to make sure you're covering all the inside curves and small corners. A lot cleaner and less complicated than the dry wall tape and shoe goo, and holding up very well.

Yeah, I hit it with a heat gun and rubbed it into corners with the back of a small screwdriver. It's pretty much one piece.

Gorilla tape for a stock basher body. If I paint it or really want to protect it drywall tape E6000 and sometimes plastic dip spray paint on top of the drywall tape and E6000.

And on the Granite a piece or couple of pieces of Gorilla tape on the top of the bed and tailgate end.

I weighed my beat up taped up Outcast body and one without tape. 6 ounce difference which is ridiculous. I’m just taping the mounting holes and behind the front fenders on the new one and see how it last. My Kraton bodies last much longer than the outcast ones. Wish they weren’t that hard plastic. Maybe the Notorious bodies are better. Never had one in my hands.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back