Flip's Kraton 6S V4 build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipSide

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Vorteks
Hey, I just finished the 1st version of my Kraton 6S V4. This would not have been possible without the help from this forum. Thanks!

At first, I just wanted to have my own RC truck so that I can bash with my son and his Granite. I bought it in January and I had no plans to upgrade anything right away, but I was a bit intimidated by this thing and I was fearing to get over my head with the repairs next summer. Just looking at it and reading about it was not enough. I had to work on it to understand how it works and how to repair it. I then decided to go ahead and proceed with some basic upgrades to get the feeling of wrenching on these things.

I bought a RPM front bumper and rear skid plate with the car. I then realized the stock front bumper needed to be replaced by a Typhon bumper in order to be able to fit the RPM bumper cleanly, which I did.

My first round of upgrades was from GKA. They fabricate beautiful parts and are based in Canada... I didn't need more justifications to go with GKA.

- GKA chassis braces
- GKA tall servo mount
- GKA Ackerman plate

I replaced the 4 bushing in the steering rack with bearings while installing the Ackerman plate.

After this was done, I went ahead and upgraded the radio for a DX5C with the SR315 Rx.

Then, my son stripped the gears of the stock servo on his Granite Mega on his first real bash session. I installed the stock servo from the Kraton in the Granite and purchased a Savox 1210SG for the Kraton.

Apart from that, I vented the tires and that's it. I should be good for a while and I'll just upgrade as I break stuff. I am still debating with myself about the T2T brace. I am not looking at sending this truck super high up in the air (I need to learn to drive first), so I am not too worried about bending the chassis too early. From what I understand, the T2T brace should certainly be removed if you don't have the aluminum braces. Since I have the alu braces and don't plan on jumping super high, I guess leaving the T2T brace on may not be problematic.

(Edit: Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. I didn't realize how bad they were before posting. I'll update with better pics another time.)

K6S_Body-off.jpg
K6S_body-on.jpg

Last edited:
Added two 1/2" snap rings to the servo saver tonight. Hopefully, this will help the steering performances.

Edit: It does! Probably up there with best the sub-2$ upgrades. Seriously, the steering went from unacceptably poor to very good with these 2 snap rings.

IMG_20200511_224604.jpg

Last edited:
The cleaning continues. I found that a lot of crap can get between the bulkhead and the rear center brace mount (or whatever that part is called).

I thought of closing this opening with rubber mastic tape (3M 2228). It's not pretty, but it should work. Using Gorilla would work well also, but i wanted to try the mastic tape. The best for this would probably be to put some moto foam in there, but I don't have that.

Before:
IMG_20201215_225657.jpg

After:
IMG_20201215_231057.jpg

Last edited:
I just received my Mugen E0206 shims to rebuild the diffs, as well as some 19x13x0.1 shims for the input gear bearings (if needed...we'll see).

The front diff is now done and feeling very good. I also changed the output drive cups for the stronger M2C. The stock ones were in pretty bad shape.

IMG_20210105_235233.jpg

IMG_20210105_234446.jpg

Last edited:
Wanted to install the M2C ZRS top caps tonight.

It didn't work out smoothly, thanks to whoever on the assembly line thought the shock cartridge threaded cap needed a healthy dose of red threadlocker.

IMG_20210210_224208.jpg

M2C upper hinge pin holder installation.

It didn't fit perfectly and my mad filing skills have been required to ensure a good alignment between the hinge pins and the M2C part. 😜
IMG_20220125_223017.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back