Vorteks Flip's Vorteks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipSide

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Vorteks
I had to pick up one of these! 🙂 I wanted a backup RC to complement our Kraton 6S and Granite 3S. I was aiming for a small-ish RC and building a truggyfied Typhon was pretty much the plan, but I wanted to wait for the updated 4S line.
When the Vorteks came out, it ticked much of the boxes and the number of parts shared with the Granite simply made it the logical choice.

So here's my build thread... There's not much to say right now, apart that it looks like an amazing RC.

Before driving it, I will reinforce the body and perform a more-or-less complete tear down to make sure everything is well assembled. So far, I only added the moto foam to prevent rocks from entering the steering linkage and mud to accumulate in the wheelie bar. I will update as I go.

IMG_20210501_222205.jpg

IMG_20210501_223213.jpg

IMG_20210501_223352.jpg

Can you get a pic of the foam in the front from a couple of different angles so I can see how it fits please? Stones in my Senton are my nemesis!!

Can you get a pic of the foam in the front from a couple of different angles so I can see how it fits please? Stones in my Senton are my nemesis!!

Don't overthink it. Just put some in front of the servo to ensure no rocks can get in the from the top. You can also add some to the right of the center driveshaft. Just make sure it doesn't interfere with the steering and drivetrain.

BTW, moto foam is just fish tank filter material.

This is the piece that goes in front of the servo. I didn't measure it before cutting. I just eyeballed it and it came out fine.

IMG_20210502_221211.jpg

Last edited:
Some notes from the inspection tonight:

- One of the rear arm had a lot of slop in it. The arm would actually move front to back on the hinge pin. I added a washer to remove the slop.

- I don't think there was any thread locker on the driveshaft screws.

- There were washers on the motor screws and the screws seem to have been bathed in locktite. There was literally thread locker everywhere, even on the motor plate... 😆

- The pinion/spur gear mesh was too tight out of the box.

- The front shocks are way underdamped. Rear feels good.

- One of the rear shock seem to have leaked a tiny bit in the box. I didn't see it until I removed the hub.

- Diffs seem very smooth, but the gear mesh is way too tight. I guess it will bed in by running it. I'll open them soon to check out.

Installed a metal spur gear:

IMG_20210504_224653.jpg

Last edited:
Front shocks were nearly empty. I topped them with 50wt. The rebound still seems a bit fast, but I'll try it like that. It's probably better to have a faster rebound up front anyway.

Diff yokes were stupid tight out of the box. I released them a bit and the truck is now super smooth.

Last edited:
Better cooling for the Vorteks.

I just got one of the new KC-RC motor fans. Super nice stuff. 🤩

I will probably add a mesh to prevent rocks from getting in there.

IMG_20210521_001558.jpg

All cleaned up and ready for 2022. I just completed the full disassembly, cleaning and rebuild. 🙂

Current list of upgrades worth mentionning:
- Body reinforced with Shoe-goo and drywall tape;
- Spektrum S6240 servo
- Kimbrough 124 servo saver
- Arrma steel spur gear;
- KC-RC 7075 motor plate;
- KC-RC 7075 motor hinge pin holders (F/R);
- KC-RC motor fan;

I think it's pretty dialed as it is. Upgrading the shocks could be interesting eventually, depending on the options available down the road.

IMG_20211213_133930.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back