Flirting With Disaster? 6s Lipo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rottster

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton EXB
Am I stupid for continuing to run this pack or can I just tape and send it?

IMG_5654.JPG

IMG_5655.JPG

IMG_5657.JPG

If it burns your (car) body will smell for a few months. Fire might damage more. It might ignite a few hours or days after bashing. Is it stored safely? I'd get rid of it right away.

If it burns your (car) body will smell for a few months. Fire might damage more. It might ignite a few hours or days after bashing. Is it stored safely? I'd get rid of it right away.
I store all my batteries in ammo cans with the gasket removed. Fire sucks, lol.
You’ll get all sorts of replies here. The reality is that risk of fire is higher than without that damage, though nobody really knows whether it’s okay or not.

I’d personally discharge and dispose of it immediately.
You're right, how could anyone know for sure it's ok? I have to admit I have used it twice with no ill effects but it's probably ok until it's not.... Then I lose a $1000+ rig for a $100 battery.
Just got rid of 3s pack a week ago I had in storage mode .looked just like yours..took no chances.got rid of it.took it our local auto parts place where they dispose of them for free. Get rid of yours before something bad happens.why take the risk
This was crash damage, not that it makes any difference. I'll discharge it, clip the leads and dump it in the battery bucket at work.

I wouldn't discharge it at home .put it back in your rig and just run the battery completely down.just drive it slowly up and down your road don't go bashing with it lol.this is safer than using your charger at home to discharge it.you don't want that to explode in your home . When I say drive slow I mean like keep it under 20 mph .👍😁 Throw a lipo alarm on it and set to the lowest it can go.so you know when you reached the end . Stay safe brotha
I store all my batteries in ammo cans with the gasket removed. Fire sucks, lol.

You're right, how could anyone know for sure it's ok? I have to admit I have used it twice with no ill effects but it's probably ok until it's not.... Then I lose a $1000+ rig for a $100 battery.

This was crash damage, not that it makes any difference. I'll discharge it, clip the leads and dump it in the battery bucket at work.
Clip leads and wrap the ends with electric tape .so they have no contact with anything that's metal 👍 most places i go to want all batteries taped up .or they won't accept it
Don't bring that lipo back in your house plz..I don't care what any one says on here . bringing that lipo back inside is a bad mistake that you can avoid ..

Last edited:
I wouldn't discharge it at home .put it back in your rig and just run the battery completely down.just drive it slowly up and down your road don't go bashing with it lol.this is safer than using your charger at home to discharge it.you don't want that to explode in your home . When I say drive slow I mean like keep it under 20 mph .👍😁 Throw a lipo alarm on it and set to the lowest it can go.so you know when you reached the end . Stay safe brotha

Clip leads and wrap the ends with electric tape .so they have no contact with anything that's metal 👍 most places i go to want all batteries taped up .or they won't accept it
Don't bring that lipo back in your house plz..I don't care what any one says on here . bringing that lipo back inside is a bad mistake that you can avoid ..

Discharging it via my ISDT FD200 to 3V per cell outdoors, that's as low as the discharger will go. I may make a total discharger using an automotive headlight for a load. Yep, I always tape up the terminals.

Last edited:
Got my welding gloves next to me in case I have to whip this sucker out the shop door, lol. I also have my temp gun to periodically monitor the battery temps
I don't mess around with a damaged. bad cells or puffed battery. Glad you are getting rid of it.

Update: took 17 minutes and 2 seconds to drop down to my target and lowest voltage possible of 3.00 V @ 15A. I could've discharged at a higher rate, but I didn't see the point. Highest temp recorded was 118F at the damaged area... No surprise there and tells me that there's some resistance in that area due to the physical damage, glad I took everyone's advice. I'll wait an hour and discharge again as I'm sure there will be some bounceback. Then maybe make total discharger tonight.
I don't mess around with a damaged. bad cells or puffed battery. Glad you are getting rid of it.
Not one of my shining moments, I should've done this long ago.

Last edited:
Update: took 17 minutes and 2 seconds to drop down to my target and lowest voltage possible of 3.00 V @ 15A. I could've discharged at a higher rate, but I didn't see the point. Highest temp recorded was 118F at the damaged area... No surprise there and tells me that there's some resistance in that area due to the physical damage, glad I took everyone's advice. I'll wait an hour and discharge again as I'm sure there will be some bounceback. Then maybe make total discharger tonight.

Not one of my shining moments, I should've done this long ago.
I no what you mean. My first battery charger didn't discharge and so I didn't. Not to smart on my part.:rolleyes:

Agree, it's hard to say goodbye to a $ lipo but totally worth it considering the alternative.

This Is Fine GIF

If you solder an ec5 (or whatever your using) to an old lamp and throw a 100+ watt bulb that also works like a resistor and will take it to 0volts eventually.

I no what you mean. My first battery charger didn't discharge and so I didn't. Not to smart on my part.:rolleyes:
I've always discharged to storage voltage, but my Tenergy is slooooow, lol. This ISDT is awesome. BTW, I found I could trick the ISDT by discharging the 6s to 3v a cell, then telling it it's a 5c, then 4c, etc. I'm discharging as if it were a 3 cell right now.
Agree, it's hard to say goodbye to a $ lipo but totally worth it considering the alternative.

This Is Fine GIF

If you solder an ec5 (or whatever your using) to an old lamp and throw a 100+ watt bulb that also works like a resistor and will take it to 0volts eventually.
Yeah my previous decision to try it a few more times was based on money and yes, the alternative is really bad and I should know better. I was thinking of using a spare automotive headlight, but I figure that may draw too much current? BTW, the Gif is hilarious!

Edit: After some quick research, an automotive halogen pulls about 5 amps or less @ 13.5 volts. Catch being that I wouldn't want to use it for a total discharger on anything over a 4s at storage charge due to the risk of blowing the bulb BUT, I've got that handled via tricking the ISDT.

Last edited:
To be honest, put it out it's misery! Stop risking your car and wherever you store that lipo!

put the battery, leads down, into a jar filled with salt water. Leave outside overnight and it will eventually discharge to zero. Once it stops bubbling it’s safe to dispose of in the normal trash.
Yummy, hydrogen and oxygen!
To be honest, put it out it's misery! Stop risking your car and wherever you store that lipo!
I'm killing it slowly and safely. ;)

Love that discharger. Can you tell the discharger it's a 2S battery to go even lower on voltage? I've never tried.
Working on it... Voltage keeps bouncing back. I've dropped the discharge current to 0.5 amps to have time on my side.

Edit, Yes I can, but at this point the .5 amp draw actually gives an "undervoltage" error in about 10 seconds as the lowest cell voltage I can program is 3.3V on 2s. It's very close to a boat anchor at this point.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back