Flysky gt5 help setting the trim and subtrim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opua

Reaction score
Hi, I have a flysky gt5 but I didn't understand how to set the trim. There are two parameters of trim subtrim and trim, first of all I don't exactly understand the difference between them. I noticed that when I set for example subtrim the display shows st and L (I assume it's on the left) but I can't find the right channel... If I rotate the navigation key it goes to the aux parameter and in aux you can set L (left ) then R (I think right) and U (I don't know what it is) same problem in the trim parameter.. I thought I'd find the L and R settings and set them the classic way. .. Could someone give me some explanation?
Thank you!

look at sub-trim as a trim you set to align everything mechanically, like when you install the servo and you want the arm to point directly 90 degrees (for example). While normal trim is something you change during driving to make sure the car will drive straight. for normal trim you have direct buttons on the controller, while sub-trim you set in the menus.

As for the gt5, it has L (left), R (right), U (up) and D (down).
the way you choose if to control L or R is by actually moving the steering wheel, or the throttle for CH 2

Thank you for your reply, but which is the difference between st and aux? In aux (only in subtrim setting) is present left and right while in st no. So i have to use st or aux? Moreover in Trim setting is not present aux...

look at sub-trim as a trim you set to align everything mechanically, like when you install the servo and you want the arm to point directly 90 degrees (for example). While normal trim is something you change during driving to make sure the car will drive straight. for normal trim you have direct buttons on the controller, while sub-trim you set in the menus.

As for the gt5, it has L (left), R (right), U (up) and D (down).
the way you choose if to control L or R is by actually moving the steering wheel, or the throttle for CH 2
Thank you for your reply, but which is the difference between st and aux? In aux (only in subtrim setting) is present left and right while in st no. So i have to use st or aux? Moreover in Trim setting is not present aux...

Hi, I have a flysky gt5 but I didn't understand how to set the trim. There are two parameters of trim subtrim and trim, first of all I don't exactly understand the difference between them. I noticed that when I set for example subtrim the display shows st and L (I assume it's on the left) but I can't find the right channel... If I rotate the navigation key it goes to the aux parameter and in aux you can set L (left ) then R (I think right) and U (I don't know what it is) same problem in the trim parameter.. I thought I'd find the L and R settings and set them the classic way. .. Could someone give me some explanation?
Thank you!

20221226_211819.jpg

20221226_211840.jpg

i have done a mess with quoting, moreover i have posted 2 pictures of the setting, with sub trim i have only left in st mode, while in aux L and R... in Trim instead aux is not present

First you need to choose which channel you want to set the trim. Ch 1 is called ST, ch 2 is called TH, and the rest of the channels are called Aux (from 3 to 6). In the photo you set the trim to channel Aux6.

So first rotate the control wheel to choose your desired channel (I assume 1 which is ST - steering), then click the wheel and then rotate it to set the trim. It will change from L to R as you cross the zero point.

I don't understand this aspect, when I change from L to R I have to go back to zero point, so in this way I can't set a value for example left 25 point (confirming the value) and then switch to right trim and confirm another value without going over the zero point.
In summary, when I set a left trim I can't confirm it because I go back to zero to access the right trim

Maybe you are confusing between the functions of trim and end-point adjustment? trim is to set the "middle" point, and there's only one middle point. But end point is to limit the range of movement (separatly to L and to R), so you have value for R and L seperatly.

Ok, thank you again for you advice, yesterday i fitted a new servo (dsservo 35 kg), so before to fit the horn i turned on the model and then i fit it to 90° respect to housing of the servo. Anyway i haden't set nothing on the transmitter relatively to trim, for this reason I had to set a lot the trim parameter in order to reach a rigth alignment between left and right. So my question is, before to fit the horn how i have to set the parameter on the flysky, for to get the right setting?

Ok, thank you again for you advice, yesterday i fitted a new servo (dsservo 35 kg), so before to fit the horn i turned on the model and then i fit it to 90° respect to housing of the servo. Anyway i haden't set nothing on the transmitter relatively to trim, for this reason I had to set a lot the trim parameter in order to reach a rigth alignment between left and right. So my question is, before to fit the horn how i have to set the parameter on the flysky, for to get the right setting?
When installing a new servo, you want to power up the car without the horn attached to the servo as you have no way of knowing if the servo is in neutral position until you power it on. Only after you power up the car and have all your trim, sub-trim, etc. set to zero, only then should you put the servo horn on the servo, as close to 90° as you can get (sometimes the neutral position of the splines won't allow you to put it at exactly 90° so you'll be one spline to the left or right, but that's ok). Then tighten the screw down for the servo horn.

Now go to your sub-trim and bring the servo horn to the 90° position and take a look at where your wheels are pointed. If everything is set up correctly they should, in theory, be pointing straight ahead. But this isn't always the case. What I like to do in that case is take a look to see if this is something that can be corrected by adjusting the steering tie rod lengths. If so, proceed and adjust them until both the left and right wheels are pointed straight ahead (you can always dial in a little toe-in or toe-out later, but it's best to start from a neutral point). Now drive the car around and do the final adjustment with the regular steering trim setting until the car drives straight.

At this point, drive the car around and see how it behaves. If the steering seems twitchy, give the wheels a little toe-in using the steering tie rods. If, on the other hand, the steering feels numb and unresponsive, dial in a little toe-out - again with the steering tie rods. This will increase the sensitivity of your steering. When I say a little, I'm talking about 0.5-1° of toe-in or toe-out max. If that doesn't help, then the problem is probably elsewhere (suspension setup, tires, etc.).

Hope this helps :)

Thank you very much! I know the procedure before to ATTACH the horn let's say with a stock transmitter how slt3 for example but with flysky gt5 i didn't know how to set subtrim and trim before attach the horn... From what you wrote to me i have to set all in zero point

Thank you very much! I know the procedure before to ATTACH the horn let's say with a stock transmitter how slt3 for example but with flysky gt5 i didn't know how to set subtrim and trim before attach the horn... From what you wrote to me i have to set all in zero point
That's the way I do it. First I attempt to get the steering and wheel geometry dialed in mechanically as close as I can before moving on to making the finer adjustments electronically. To me this makes the most sense. Yes, there are surely other ways to go about "just getting it to work out somehow", but I like for all of my trim, sub-trim and other steering related functions of the transmitter to be as close to zero as I can get them, if for no other reason that to have the maximum amount of adjustability, remotely from my transmitter. If I have wild sub-trim and trim values of +/- 100-120, this will only leave me a few clicks in that direction to make my final adjustments. That's my line of reasoning for why I proceed in the way that I do. First the mechanical roughing it in (or even getting it really close if the design of the vehicle and its components allow for it and I think any hobby grade vehicle should be able to do this) followed by the digital tuning and final polish.

But that's just me. Your mileage may vary :)

What i do is
- Set all trims to zero, power the servo
- Attached the horn as close as possible to the desired location
- Use sub-trim to get the horn perfectly positioned
- Use trim if the car doesn't track straight

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back