Limitless Flysky Noble NB4 or Futaba 4PV for speedruns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here. I like my 3PM-MX but its ancient...

I don't love that the connections face up towards the antenna on that FGR4 receiver.
Yes I don’t like that orientation either, but once it’s on it’s side it works well. It is a big receiver though, this is it in the Limitless

Also I would say of the different versions of the FGR4, this is the only one I’ve seen that gives you the long range.. I have tried two other versions, both smaller with no antenna that didn’t work past the end of the block.. fine for bashing but not for speedruns

Attachments

• F35653AA-CE60-44F7-BDA1-0AA6B1A8CFC1.jpeg
    F35653AA-CE60-44F7-BDA1-0AA6B1A8CFC1.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 109
Yes I don’t like that orientation either, but once it’s on it’s side it works well. It is a big receiver though, this is it in the Limitless

Also I would say of the different versions of the FGR4, this is the only one I’ve seen that gives you the long range.. I have tried two other versions, both smaller with no antenna that didn’t work past the end of the block.. fine for bashing but not for speedruns
That's some good range for having the antenna tucked down like that.... I am thinking if you had it up on a center brace with the antenna extended up above the body you would have range further than eye sight. May already be the case at 1400 ft ?

You can see that is how I planned mine on the Unlimited project:

test drive.jpg

That's some good range for having the antenna tucked down like that.... I am thinking if you had it up on a center brace with the antenna extended up above the body you would have range further than eye sight. May already be the case at 1400 ft ?

You can see that is how I planned mine on the Unlimited project:

View attachment 93875
I like this. That’s how I have my R2006 Dual antenna receiver mounted in another car, in the back with antennas up over the wing. It’s great for reception and works well as the body covers the wires. Problem is if you happen to crash there’s a good chance the antennas will be ripped clean off.. been there, done that lol

Attachments

• E47261F9-0DB0-43FF-9444-EF930483DA43.jpeg
    E47261F9-0DB0-43FF-9444-EF930483DA43.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 73
Update..
Last Sunday I did a seedrun with a Limitless and the FGR4 receiver, I started from a measured distance of 1000 ft away (according to google Earth) The signal strength on the display was at 39 out of 100 and I had full control. Then I decided to take the car farther away and see how far I could go. I went maybe another 75 feet or so and the transmitter voice started saying " signal loss"
At this point I thought I had really lost signal for good, but then I saw the car was still responding to the gentle steering and throttle inputs I was giving it. So I turned it around carefully and started the speedrun from that point, just about 1075 ft away from me. The car was tiny in the distance but stood out on the road so I could still see it. What impressed me about the Noble nb4 is that even when it said it was out of range it was still working. This radio is no less than my Futaba 4pv and a lot better ergonomically as well.
This was at a different location to the place where I ran before and had a range of almost 1400ft. This was a much more populated area, I suspect that there were many Wifi signals and cell phones and the like all around the area so range was shortened by about 300ft. Still, having full control at almost 1100 ft away is enough for me lol

I had been looking for true distance tests but never seen them. I hear good things about the Noble.
It seems once you go 130+ a booster is likely in your future either way.
booster? tell me more... :unsure:

Update..
Last Sunday I did a seedrun with a Limitless and the FGR4 receiver, I started from a measured distance of 1000 ft away (according to google Earth) The signal strength on the display was at 39 out of 100 and I had full control. Then I decided to take the car farther away and see how far I could go. I went maybe another 75 feet or so and the transmitter voice started saying " signal loss"
At this point I thought I had really lost signal for good, but then I saw the car was still responding to the gentle steering and throttle inputs I was giving it. So I turned it around carefully and started the speedrun from that point, just about 1075 ft away from me. The car was tiny in the distance but stood out on the road so I could still see it. What impressed me about the Noble nb4 is that even when it said it was out of range it was still working. This radio is no less than my Futaba 4pv and a lot better ergonomically as well.
This was at a different location to the place where I ran before and had a range of almost 1400ft. This was a much more populated area, I suspect that there were many Wifi signals and cell phones and the like all around the area so range was shortened by about 300ft. Still, having full control at almost 1100 ft away is enough for me lol
theres a setting for the distance (as a signal percentage ) that the warning shouts at you, hence the still having control (y)

Nice thread. I have a Futaba 4PLS and a Noble NB4. I've been wondering which one I was going to use with the Limitless. Think this thread made up my mind to go with the Noble.
That is a no brainer. Been discussed many times.
Have the NB4, was not a good candidate for my Lim or any speed runner. Otherwise a great radio. Just not for range. A high end radio for bashing and Track use.

I agree it would need a booster in any event for optimal range. If willing to do so. Not for the faint of heart. Like me.:LOL:
That aside, NB4 is definitley a precision radio. The response/ latency is among the best. It blows away all my other radios in this regard.

I agree it would need a booster in any event for optimal range. If willing to do so. Not for the faint of heart. Like me.:LOL:
That aside, NB4 is definitley a precision radio. The response/ latency is among the best. It blows away all my other radios in this regard.
Those features are good along with the audio alerts that are programmable.
But what makes it best for speed runs in the digital throttle control feature.
-If you want consistent runs so that you know if your changes made an impact.
-If you have trouble finding traction driving with foam tires. (that is me)
-If you want the lowest possible voltage drop for those extra few mph

It is like the perfect pass by Raz, but highly precise and much easier to configure. You can also configure how fast it comes off throttle so that there is not an abrupt 100% back to 0% hit. It is the bomb dot com.
I hope to replace mine within the next month or so (y)

Agree on all points. The digital throttle curve I dial for my other rigs is a major tuning option. Only I wish I could use for speed running. Along with the other features. The RC6GS has a similar feature, but the repsonse is nowhere near a NB4's.
I wish Flysky offered a better Rx( air) for much greater range. Im running the best Rx right now. It improved range from the out the box Flsky Rx I got, but nowhere the range that I need. NB4 V1. Updated F/W.

Last edited:
Agree on all points. The digital throttle curve I dial for my other rigs is a major tuning option. One I wish I could use for speed running. Along with the other features. The RC6GS has a similar feature, but the repsonse is nowhere near a NB4's.
I wish Flysky offered a better Rx( air) for much greater range. Im running the best Rx right now. It improved range from the out the box Flsky Rx I got, but nowhere the range that I need. NB4 V1. Updated F/W.
I agree.
I was a bit disappointed when people were reporting 700-1000 ft max range.
To be honest my 3PM-MX with FASST receiver wasn't a whole lot better at around 1200 ft. The 3PV seemed to drop around 1000 ft also.
I understand the Futaba air RX is much better and I never tried those.

The RadioLink RC6GS V2 has us spoiled. While the throttle curve (dual rate) is nice to have, it is not really as beneficial as the throttle speed settings in the NB4. The good news is you could use Raz's product with the RC6GS and have something very close as 2nd best.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back