Kraton For some reason my Kraton 4s' wheel keeps melting off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eatyourveggies

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
I am not sure why is keeps melting off, but it might be my driving. I got a new set, but it happened again despite the brand new set. My other thought was that it was the terrain, although I have watched videos and my terrain doesn't look out of the ordinary at all. For some reason it is only on the back left so maybe is is something with the gearing.

Last edited:
I hate the stock hexes and nuts. Get the Hot Racing hexes instead.

Wtf i think your bearings are just bad first time j heard melting tire rims you bearings might be seized and you are running the car like that and creating tons of heat.
Check you bearings send a picture of the wheel. My wheel hexes never get hot if you build up heat there you have a problem putting hot racing hexes on will change nothing you need to find out why you are melting wheels

Using the red plastic tool to tighten the wheel nuts by chance?
I think he is saying the wheel hex is melting the rim who makes no sense at all under normal conditions only way it to have a lot of resistance from the bearings
Maybe he is talking about the clutch and the back plate is melting off becaus eof poor stock bearing and clutch ridiculously loose if its that the word "wheel" doesn't make sense because the clutch is not a wheel

I think he is saying the wheel hex is melting the rim who makes no sense at all under normal conditions only way it to have a lot of resistance from the bearings
Maybe he is talking about the clutch and the back plate is melting off becaus eof poor stock bearing and clutch ridiculously loose if its that the word "wheel" doesn't make sense because the clutch is not a wheel

Correct.. wheel is melting.. very common when the hex spins in the rim due to loose wheel nuts..

hence, why I asked if he is using the red plastic tool to tighten the nuts, cause we all know it doesn't work.. ?

Correct.. wheel is melting.. very common when the hex spins in the rim due to loose wheel nuts..

hence, why I asked if he is using the red plastic tool to tighten the nuts, cause we all know it doesn't work.. ?
I personally lost a wheel a lot of times and the only way fot the hex to overheat iis with a missing pin i get one loose wheel nut almost every 3 runs on my outcast same on my kraton but im putting threadlock now
If the pin is secured with the set screw even if the wheelnut is loose i don't see how it wil generate incredible heat to melt your finger

I personally lost a wheel a lot of times and the only way fot the hex to overheat iis with a missing pin i get one loose wheel nut almost every 3 runs on my outcast same on my kraton but im putting threadlock now
If the pin is secured with the set screw even if the wheelnut is loose i don't see how it wil generate incredible heat to melt your finger

Your way way way over thinking this buddy... it's simple, nut is loose..metal hex strips the plastic hex in the rim, gets hot spinning in the rim, melts plastic..

If your wheel nuts are coming loose your not tightening them enough/ correctly..

Your way way way over thinking this buddy... it's simple, nut is loose..metal hex strips the plastic hex in the rim, gets hot spinning in the rim, melts plastic..

If your wheel nuts are coming loose your not tightening them enough/ correctly..
I have a few scars on one rim because of the nut coming loose ?‍♀️ But never stripped. If it was astripping rim issue he would have talk about stripped hexes and not melting plastic

I have a few scars on one rim because of the nut coming loose ?‍♀️ But never stripped. If it was astripping rim issue he would have talk about stripped hexes and not melting plastic
A plastic wheel will never strip a metal hex.

This is it, this happened to mine when it was brand new. I now use a socket to tighten wheel nuts and no more issue now.

Here are some pictures. I believe that there might be a missing pin because the day before I melted the wheel off the whole wheel fell off probably because I didn’t have it tight enough. I haven’t mentioned this because I didn’t think that it had anything to do with the melted rim. Anyone know what part to oder for missing pin on Kraton?
Also I do not use the red plastic tool, I use a type of multi tool from Dynamite rc. When I first got the car I didn’t have the right tool for the wheels and I tried the red plastic tool but couln’t get the nut off one of the wheels and I tried a wrench but that didn’t work either, and now I can't get that wheel off with the right tool or any other tool. (Different wheel than the melted wheel.) Any ideas how to get off a nut that won’t budge?

Attachments

• B53B925E-6DA7-43AB-B383-F565FE403733.jpeg
    B53B925E-6DA7-43AB-B383-F565FE403733.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 67
  • D9E89E74-F9AF-48A0-BB04-31F3A5B687B2.jpeg
    D9E89E74-F9AF-48A0-BB04-31F3A5B687B2.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 58FF3F82-45B3-4612-9539-D863E307030D.jpeg
    58FF3F82-45B3-4612-9539-D863E307030D.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 60
Well that would explain the melted rim if the drive pin fell out the previous day and was not reinstalled.. no pin, no drive to that wheel, axle just roasting in the hex until the plastic melts..

Exploded view in your paperwork..(which everyone tosses for some reason) or on arrma site.. every part with every part number...✌

If your pin fell out, was the grub screw missing too? I believe the 4S stock hex uses a grub to hold the pin in

I just had this problem today with my Senton 3s modified to 6s .the wheel melted off so I check my bearings and there fine.The wheel nut was thread locked with blue loctite and was still secure.wheel hex,pin and grub screw still was secure in fact so secure I had to fight with it to get the pin out using some vice grips. Any help out to why this happens will be greatly appreciated .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back