Forum demographics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought all the old people use Facebook. Nobody at my age does anymore anyway, while everybody's moms and dads do.

I don't use any social media except for WhatsApp and Discord, if you can even call that social media
That shows you how old I am....

59 and don't drink. RC restores my childhood. It's just like fishing, when the excitement is gone I'm done and I don't see that happening anytime soon. ;)
I find that my interest comes and goes. I have had years where I'd go bash a couple times a year and that was it.

I drink protein shakes. Does that count as drinking?
Replace the water with vodka and it will. ;)

Been in the hobby since right after I got married at 24yo. 45 now, still married, RC's probably had a lot to do with that! No kids, no house, no credit cards.

I ran nitro RC's until 5 years ago. Been loving brushless ever since and it has allowed me to run in places closer to home without infringing on others ear-space.

46 and definitely don’t drink this stuff...

image.jpg

56 and started the hobby 4 months ago. Have 4 cars (going) with the Vorteks about to join the fleet.

My other hobby music I do on a semi professional basis so it pays for it self and helps fund my RCs.

I work from home and have a 9.5 acre property in the country I'm going to convert into RC heaven.

True. Diversity is good. Different people find different solutions to problems. Luckily there is some age diversity

I'm amazed that anyone under 21 can afford this hobby! I'm 35 with a well-paying job and I have a hard time stomaching my CC statement based on RC purchases and I only have 1 1/2 cars!
A teen does not pay rent, insurance and other fix costs and usually is supported by parents or relatives. I have a well payed job and have no issues paying for parts. Of course I have to save if I want a new car .

I have a feeling that half of the people here are 50 y/o who drink a lot of beer and are almost retiring,
¼ are 30 y/o who need a distraction from work, and
¼ are teens who shouldn't have an expensive hobby like this (me)
31, Distraction from Life, kindy nerdy so love RC no excuse needed🤘🦾

When the op said “here” I’m taking that as those on this forum. Most of us are old here because we don’t use Facebook, Instagram or whatever but can manage getting on the internet...on social media I bet it flips. Mostly young guys with a few savvy old geezers...oh I forgot and maybe like 3 girls...
Wait, there's girls here? I don't believe you at all.

Wait, there's girls here? I don't believe you at all.

There might have been 1 asking about what to get her husband and another trying to fix one for her son a few times. I just assume there may be a few more. @Basherqueen is a better driver and wrencher than all of us...

44, headbanger to the core, and if I must drink, I sip room-temperature bourbon with nothing in it. Me and the boss (SWMBO) both have educations, careers, and don't have kids, so I can afford my own toys. I couldn't afford a buggy as a kid, and Mom's Christmas budget didn't even come close. By the time I started working, all I cared about were mountain bikes and full scale cars. That stuck for decades. A few years ago, I got into 1/10 buggies (eternal childhood, blah, blah), but I had to fight the urge to bash my finely-tuned, delicate cars. Then Arrma put out the 6S 1/8 cars. You all know what happens after that.

*SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed

Bwahahaaaa. Ur right. 38. Can't afford to drink so I bought an RC. And due to home waaaaaayyyyyy too long. F U covid! And thanks covid! I love this hobby I can't afford that distracts me from the world I realized I hated. A wife I can't stand. And all the deep dark thoughts thru lockdown.

WOW! I am really glad I got into RC. U imagine if I had to deal with that ☝b.s. all the time? Id go nuts! 😂🤣🤣😂😂😂🤣😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😬🤣😂🤣🤣🤣😎

34 here; been off and on with the hobby since being a teenager. Was into the full scale thing for a bit, but my GTI that turned into a tacoma has now turned into a minivan, owing to having a toddler running around. Like that I can comfortably afford RC way more than full scale anyway.

Currently doing all of it; cars/trucks, boats (3D printing my way through a 1/48th Flower class corvette as I type this), and planes. PLaes I’ve retreated to Horizons Ultra Micro birds; just don’t have the time to drive to the flying field to fire up larger scale planes. But have enough property fly the little ones for a bit once the wind dies Down at the end of the day.

One interesting thing I’ve seen happen over my time in the hobby is watching planes actually become more affordable than cars/trucks. You can get a RTF UMX cub for less than $150 and be in business. Just wasn’t an option as a kid.

If I were doing things over again as a teenager, I’d focus on the mini scale side of the hobby across the board. The arrival of lipo means that small but potent models are a true reality. The aforementioned UMX birds, and the mini crawlers and losi buggies on the market are very affordable and can run in smaller areas. I also really wish I had a time machine and could send my 3D printer back to my teenage self. Man would that have saved me a lot of money on model kits!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back