forum seems to be lacking general RC information

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yillbs

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
I apologize if I just can't seem to use the search function properly, but i've looked. I've noticed that this form seems to be missing a great deal of just general information (Again, if it exists, please point me to it?).

I'm trying to understand the difference between the channels, like what's a 2chan, 4chan, 6chan, 8chan, 12chan, etc. Also, what are all these different battery types. 2s, 3s, 6s, etc. What does it all mean, why do people put 2s in a 3s machine, what's the benefit? Why do people use 2x2s instead of a single 4s?

I've tried to understand a lot of this just from google, but nothing really explains things like a 10 year old to help understand, and comprehend what it is exactly all of these things mean. I see things like " This has a gyro ", but no indication to what the gyro actually is / does. From laymans terms, a gyro would indicate some sort of tilt motion.

Thanks!

Greetings. While I’m not awake enough to direct you somewhere to answer all your questions, here’s the answers and don’t be afraid to ask for specifics.

2chan means the radio has 2 controllable channels. Steering is one, throttle is the other. 3chan is 3 channels, so one is steering, one is throttle, and the final one is usually an auxiliary switch on your transmitter than can be hooked up to anything that you plug into channel 3 on the receiver inside the truck. For example, the traxxas summit has steering, throttle, a center differential lock, a rear differential lock, a front differential lock, and a high-low transmission. If you add them up: throttle (ESC), steering servo(s), front diff lock servo, rear diff servo, center diff lock servo, transmission servo, you get 6 channels... it has a 6 channel radio and receiver (or I might be forgetting something but the example still stands)

Batteries: a 2s lipo has 8.4 volts, a 3s lipo has 11.1v, a 4s 14.8v, a 5s (18.5v I think) and a 6s, 22.2v. There are a lot of reasons why people use 2-2s lipos instead of a 4s, but at the end of the day either approach (separate batteries or one single battery) has its pros and cons, so it’s all about opinion.

A gyro is a speed runners tool. It keeps the front wheels where you want them to face. (Well in theory)

The amount of channels is how many things can be plugged into the receiver. 2s, 3s and so on is how many cells the lipo has. I use 2s in my 3 s trucks because I tend to break things when I give it the full power of the 3 s. Some people use two lipos because that is what they have. Also can benefit from weight distribution.

Greetings. While I’m not awake enough to direct you somewhere to answer all your questions, here’s the answers and don’t be afraid to ask for specifics.

2chan means the radio has 2 controllable channels. Steering is one, throttle is the other. 3chan is 3 channels, so one is steering, one is throttle, and the final one is usually an auxiliary switch on your transmitter than can be hooked up to anything that you plug into channel 3 on the receiver inside the truck. For example, the traxxas summit has steering, throttle, a center differential lock, a rear differential lock, a front differential lock, and a high-low transmission. If you add them up: throttle (ESC), steering servo(s), front diff lock servo, rear diff servo, center diff lock servo, transmission servo, you get 6 channels... it has a 6 channel radio and receiver (or I might be forgetting something but the example still stands)

Batteries: a 2s lipo has 8.4 volts, a 3s lipo has 11.1v, a 4s 14.8v, a 5s (18.5v I think) and a 6s, 22.2v. There are a lot of reasons why people use 2-2s lipos instead of a 4s, but at the end of the day either approach (separate batteries or one single battery) has its pros and cons, so it’s all about opinion.

A gyro is a speed runners tool. It keeps the front wheels where you want them to face. (Well in theory)
Excellent reply, I appreciate it. This is is what i was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to provide me info, even if basic, it makes it to where I understand the differences now.

I apologize if I just can't seem to use the search function properly, but i've looked. I've noticed that this form seems to be missing a great deal of just general information (Again, if it exists, please point me to it?).

I'm trying to understand the difference between the channels, like what's a 2chan, 4chan, 6chan, 8chan, 12chan, etc. Also, what are all these different battery types. 2s, 3s, 6s, etc. What does it all mean, why do people put 2s in a 3s machine, what's the benefit? Why do people use 2x2s instead of a single 4s?

I've tried to understand a lot of this just from google, but nothing really explains things like a 10 year old to help understand, and comprehend what it is exactly all of these things mean. I see things like " This has a gyro ", but no indication to what the gyro actually is / does. From laymans terms, a gyro would indicate some sort of tilt motion.

Thanks!

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/hello-to-all.15826/post-203077

To extend a bit on the lipo explanation, when you see lipo packs listed, they list them at their "nominal voltage", which is 3.7V per cell for typical lipo's. Fully charged, they are 4.2V. There are some other high voltage lipo's, not sure how high they go, but more V = more RPM.

3.7*2=7.4V (2S)
3.7*3=11.1V (3S)
3.7*4=14.8V (4S)
3.7*5=18.5V (5S)
3.7*6=22.2V (6S)
etc.

Fully charged:
4.2V*2=8.4V (2S)
4.2V*3=12.6V (3S)
4.2V*4=16.8V (4S)
4.2V*5=21V (5S)
4.2V*6=25.2V (6S)

To extend a bit on the lipo explanation, when you see lipo packs listed, they list them at their "nominal voltage", which is 3.7V per cell for typical lipo's. Fully charged, they are 4.2V. There are some other high voltage lipo's, not sure how high they go, but more V = more RPM.

3.7*2=7.4V (2S)
3.7*3=11.1V (3S)
3.7*4=14.8V (4S)
3.7*5=18.5V (5S)
3.7*6=22.2V (6S)
etc.

Fully charged:
4.2V*2=8.4V (2S)
4.2V*3=12.6V (3S)
4.2V*4=16.8V (4S)
4.2V*5=21V (5S)
4.2V*6=25.2V (6S)
I think they only make 2s and 4s HV lipos but I have to double check that, but the HV lipos are 4.35v per cell fully charged.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back