Forward to Reverse ECU question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackintoR/C

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
I never noticed this last summer, but when I just tested my Typhon 3S in my basement to make sure it was set to stop if the receiver lost a signal (it does), I noticed something. When I run the car forward and then stop, the next time I hit reverse, the red light comes on on the ESC, but the car doesn't go backwards. If I let the trigger return to center, then try backing up the car responds fine. Is this because when/after travelling forward, the first time reverse is transmitted the car is actually applying brakes? I know you wouldn't want to be going at speed and hit reverse and have the wheels just instantly start going backwards. That would be a bye bye gearbox. Thanks for the help.

I never noticed this last summer, but when I just tested my Typhon 3S in my basement to make sure it was set to stop if the receiver lost a signal (it does), I noticed something. When I run the car forward and then stop, the next time I hit reverse, the red light comes on on the ESC, but the car doesn't go backwards. If I let the trigger return to center, then try backing up the car responds fine. Is this because when/after travelling forward, the first time reverse is transmitted the car is actually applying brakes? I know you wouldn't want to be going at speed and hit reverse and have the wheels just instantly start going backwards. That would be a bye bye gearbox. Thanks for the help.

Spot on, 👍... takes a double tap to engage reverse..

Thank you!! Now I need to find a thread on Toe-Out, to make sure my front wheels (which are Toe'd-out from the factory) are at the correct angle. I know slight Toe-Out improves stability and tracking, but the right wheel seems slightly too much. This Forum is great!!

I prefer dead ahead, or a slight toe in to prevent over steer.. typically toe out is seen in rear wheel drive, and toe in is seen on front wheel or all wheel drive ..

Of course this is preference for me, there is no wrong way, just matters how you like the rig to handle, but for me, I can't stand the factory toe out thing...

Thank you!! Now I need to find a thread on Toe-Out, to make sure my front wheels (which are Toe'd-out from the factory) are at the correct angle. I know slight Toe-Out improves stability and tracking, but the right wheel seems slightly too much. This Forum is great!!
Just adjust your link.. they always seem to be this way, no matter the platform

Spot on, 👍... takes a double tap to engage reverse..

Can I ask a somewhat related question? In videos of 4WD buggies & trucks, I see people adjusting the vehicle's angle in the air, after a jump. Rotating the nose up, or down.

I believe rotating the nose up is by giving it more throttle while in the air. When they're rotating the nose downwards, in the air, is that just letting off the throttle? Or also hitting the brakes? Or maybe also flicking into reverse?

And how are you supposed to land, to reduce stress on the drivetrain? Neutral-thottle, like if you let go of the trigger? Or mild forward throttle?

Can I ask a somewhat related question? In videos of 4WD buggies & trucks, I see people adjusting the vehicle's angle in the air, after a jump. Rotating the nose up, or down.

I believe rotating the nose up is by giving it more throttle while in the air. When they're rotating the nose downwards, in the air, is that just letting off the throttle? Or also hitting the brakes? Or maybe also flicking into reverse?

And how are you supposed to land, to reduce stress on the drivetrain? Neutral-thottle, like if you let go of the trigger? Or mild forward throttle?
Your understanding is spot on.

Give throttle in the air to bring the nose up. Neutral to simply maintain circular momentum. Brakes to bring the nose down. The effects are more drastic with taller/heavier tires and a shorter wheelbase.

Always let go of the trigger on landing so the drivetrain can efficiently absorb the violent jolt.

Give throttle in the air to bring the nose up. Neutral to simply maintain circular momentum. Brakes to bring the nose down. The effects are more drastic with taller/heavier tires and a shorter wheelbase.

Always let go of the trigger on landing so the drivetrain can efficiently absorb the violent jolt.

👆 This..👍... I will add after the vehicle leaves the ground, to keep the rig leveled and under control a small blip of the throttle will keep them more controlled in the air....

I'd suggest watching some videos as you have, but pay close attention the sound.. you will hear brake apply, throttle blips, and what it takes for front and back flips..

What you see is a failsafe, so you don't inadvertently hit reverse immediatley. Forces you to be more concious of Braking versus Reverse. Some ESC's do it differently. The delay can feel different. Some ESC's don't use a double tap, for Reverse. Some wait for the motor rotation to be still before Rev. engages. The Motor's "EMF Back Signalling" to the ESC ultimately controls this.

👆 This..👍... I will add after the vehicle leaves the ground, to keep the rig leveled and under control a small blip of the throttle will keep them more controlled in the air....

I'd suggest watching some videos as you have, but pay close attention the sound.. you will hear brake apply, throttle blips, and what it takes for front and back flips..

Thanks guys, this is very helpful! Great advice. I've watched videos on this, while listening, but need to watch some more. And I couldn't tell, for backwards rotation, whether I was hearing the driver just hit the brakes, or also going into reverse.

If it's just the brakes, that's good, less stress on the drivetrain. I'll have to find a spot where I can "gently" put it into the air, to learn about this. I think it's great (and a bit amazing) that people can be mid-air, in a terrible orientation (like nose straight-down), and then bring it horizontal again before landing. I'm sure that takes plenty of practice, of course, but it seems like a cool and money-saving skill.

Thanks guys, this is very helpful! Great advice. I've watched videos on this, while listening, but need to watch some more. And I couldn't tell, for backwards rotation, whether I was hearing the driver just hit the brakes, or also going into reverse.

If it's just the brakes, that's good, less stress on the drivetrain. I'll have to find a spot where I can "gently" put it into the air, to learn about this. I think it's great (and a bit amazing) that people can be mid-air, in a terrible orientation (like nose straight-down), and then bring it horizontal again before landing. I'm sure that takes plenty of practice, of course, but it seems like a cool and money-saving skill.

Yes, it's the brake you hear.. brake alone is enough to engage a front flip.. a double tap reverse will rotate the rig forward fast like doing multiple flips in a row..👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back