Kraton Franken speed build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamart85

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Outcast 6s
  3. Talion
Started a build thread and I figured I'd restart it here. Friend gave me a chassis and body to start with and I had some spare parts to get it going. I plan on hitting 100mph and call it good hopefully 😆. So far my list of parts:

V3 Kraton Chassis
Typhon arms & hubs
Infraction GP5 diffs F/C/R
Rear Talion tower, Front Typhon tower
1/10 93mm gmade shocks for the front with TMaxx blue springs
Some Hobao shocks in rear
Limitless hoons (maybe GRPs or Felony Rears in all four corners?)
MMX8S with a TP4050CM 2300kv
Jconcepts finnisher body
Flysky GT5 Transmitter

Any help with set-up would be appreciated, looked at some threads and seen some YT vids to get an idea already.

Was thinking of getting Senton arms and axles to shorten the width too.

IMG_20210212_044342_423.jpg

IMG_20210212_044416_518.jpg

IMG_20210212_044443_564.jpg

IMG_20210212_044508_575.jpg

IMG_20210212_044544_873.jpg

IMG_20210212_044707_467.jpg

IMG_20210212_044828_607.jpg

IMG_20210212_044921_196.jpg

I like it!

You gonna put a bumper on that thing or pray that you don't hit anything? :p
Thank you!

I'm open to options but not quite sure what to go with that'll help on the aero side of things 🤷🏻‍♂️

Might just pray I don't hit anything 😂

I got some clear acrylic sheet that I thought about using on the front of the body to make some sort of front air dam to keep air from coming underneath.

Something like this:

P1030663_B.jpg

Nice work.. Leave the Typhon/Lim arms for now. Check out a set of 53/107 Hoons.
The rake looks spot on. Is that going to be body for sure?
Try a flat rear wing out of Sheet Lexan you have. At least for mock up purposes and experimenting.
I say you can get over 100MPH there. :cool:

That paint job is SICK!! 🤩
Can't take credit for that one! Friend bought it off a guy and he gave it to me. Didn't take a pic of the other side but it has more white than red
Nice work.. Leave the Typhon/Lim arms for now. Check out a set of 53/107 Hoons.
The rake looks spot on. Is that going to be body for sure?
Try a flat rear wing out of Sheet Lexan you have. At least for mock up purposes and experimenting.
I say you can get over 100MPH there. :cool:
Thank you! Ok I'll go with what I got on now.

I was trying to find the silver hoons but they're nowhere to be found or super price gouging. I'll probably pick up the white hoons.

I have a Typhon wing coming in that I was thinking of cutting up as flat as possible but if there's any Lexan left I'll be sure to try that! 👍🏼

Thanks! Nice got a link to those fans 🤔, do you have a build thread for your Hybrid Typhon?
I'll link the fans when they arrive as I've not seen them but was given the dimensions which were 40 x 40 x 20mm. As you know there is not much room under the body of a Typhon. And I'll definitely do a build thread or hijack yours lol

You will end up wanting a spool for more gear selection.
I just might if i can't hit 100mph with the 46T diff or if I get the urge to go faster than that!

Eventually I'd turn it into a buggy. Got Typhon Katars for it and I'll order some proper length shocks from JennysRC. Then figure out what body will fit the Kraton Chassis length.

Or save and just rock the finnisher body 🤷🏻‍♂️

Looks good so far.
I agree you might end up needing a Limitless spool to get the speed up. The Hoons and GRP tire diameter is just so small....
Be sure to keep the rear as stiff as possible, you don't want any squat occurring.
I'll keep an eye out on Jenny's for a limitless spool 👍🏼, not sure about the hot racing spool. Read there's issues about the pin coming out.

I was thinking the hoons 107/53 since the diameter is a tad larger 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have the adjustment screwed all the way down on the rear shocks. Funny thing about those Hobao shocks, they're a little too long so the rear won't bottom out. Think I need to change the weight and maybe stiffer springs though

I'll keep an eye out on Jenny's for a limitless spool 👍🏼, not sure about the hot racing spool. Read there's issues about the pin coming out.

I was thinking the hoons 107/53 since the diameter is a tad larger 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have the adjustment screwed all the way down on the rear shocks. Funny thing about those Hobao shocks, they're a little too long so the rear won't bottom out. Think I need to change the weight and maybe stiffer springs though
Yes the HR spool has that issue (happened to me). The Limitless spool is very reliable.

Many people put nitro fuel tube over the shock shaft to function as a travel limiter. Around 100mph isn't too bad, but 120+mph those sort of details become very important.

The guys going 150+ only allow 2-3mm travel in the rear (but requires a buttery smooth road)

Finally got around to putting it together. I 3M taped the MMX8S and just zip tied the cap pack to the center brace. Still waiting on the firmware update so I can use the TP motor I have 😒

I installed a Hobbywing 4274 motor in the mean time, seems to work fine. It's 2200kv, no idea what motor winding it is but nothing exploded or caught fire when I pulled the trigger 😅

Got a Typhon wing and it's too nice to cut up! Still need to buy a few things: felony rear hoons X2, skyrc gnss, better servo, but gotta wait till next month.

IMG_20210223_190430_058.jpg

IMG_20210223_190442_775.jpg

^^^ Just curious why you gambled running the HW motor, supposedly risking an ESC fire, not knowing the wind type,
yet are afraid to test the TP motor??
Did I miss something? Are the TP motors amp hogs or something aside form the wind issue. What made you chance the HW motor?
You may be waiting a long time for any F/W update. Like I noticed many guys are. Leaving their ESC and motor in the box unused for months already.

I want both the MMX8S and the TP 4050 myself, and am passing on them for now, because of this. I don't want to buy them to leave them on the shelf waiting for the F/W update.:cool:

^^^ Just curious why you gambled running the HW motor, supposedly risking an ESC fire, not knowing the wind type,
yet are afraid to test the TP motor??
Did I miss something? Are the TP motors amp hogs or something aside form the wind issue. What made you chance the HW motor?
You may be waiting a long time for any F/W update. Like I noticed many guys are. Leaving their ESC and motor in the box unused for months already.

I want both the MMX8S and the TP 4050 myself, and am passing on them for now, because of this. I don't want to buy them to leave them on the shelf waiting for the F/W update.:cool:
Figured incase I burn up a motor, I'd want the cheaper one to go 😂

It was a 50/50 gamble not knowing the motor wind on the Hobbywing, tried searching with no luck. 100% fact the TP is a D wind motor.

Hopefully the update comes instead of not at all. In any case, I'll need to buy a motor for the RC I snatched the motor from. I could always go with a wye motor wind under 2000kv to play it safe

Ty I see.
I want a TP 4050 with a MM8X. I thought you were more concerned with frying the MMX8X??:LOL:
I know TP's are a Delta wind. I am pretty sure the HW sensored are Wye. Last I checked. At least ,my Zerun sensored 4274 2250kv is Wye for sure.. Use on my Lim. But run that on a HW XR8 now. 6s
Which TP do you have? What kv? Is it a CM? Custom built version?
It has been said that TP's are least efficient out of all the very $High$ End motors, but doesn't matter for most considering the price? Or they are amp hogs compared to the rest? Are you familiar with that? I figured maybe that's why the possible issue with the MMX8S aside from the wind type. I don't like running higher than 2250'ish kv's in general above 6S. But many say the TP's can run well over 60k rpms easily all day, with good fans.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back