Typhon Frankenbuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshludden

Thai guy in Iowa
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Typhon 6s
Between mis-orders, take off parts & spares I think that I have another car in there somewhere. I'll see what kind of monstrosity that I can come up with? Wish me luck...

20220518_174158.jpg

SWB chassis, kraton arms/hubs, senton towers, typhon rear shocks up front, talion rear out back, 4s outcast tires, outcast wing.

dude buggy2.jpg

Justified!
Well I made some pretty good progress last night. Got all 3 diffs, motor & esc, Mojave A arms, typhon shock towers all installed. I put a spare typhon steering assembly on, but it doesn't seem to work quite right so I ordered a Mojave set from Jenny's. Also got some Mojave axles & a typhon battery tray/ receiver box. Went w/ an 18t pinion (smallest that I had) on a 46t spur & put 2x 40mm 28000 rpm fans-no heatsink- on the motor. Now just waiting for parts from Jenny's...

20220519_022246.jpg

20220519_022149.jpg

20220519_022056.jpg

20220519_022030.jpg

Screenshot_20220518-150303_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220519-083947_Shop.jpg

Well I made some pretty good progress last night. Got all 3 diffs, motor & esc, Mojave A arms, typhon shock towers all installed. I put a spare typhon steering assembly on, but it doesn't seem to work quite right so I ordered a Mojave set from Jenny's. Also got some Mojave axles & a typhon battery tray/ receiver box. Went w/ an 18t pinion (smallest that I had) on a 46t spur & put 2x 40mm 28000 rpm fans-no heatsink- on the motor. Now just waiting for parts from Jenny's...

View attachment 218542

View attachment 218543

View attachment 218544

View attachment 218545

View attachment 218546

View attachment 218547
Ok, I've hit a snag here. The only shocks that I have on hand are some pro-lines that I had bought for my 3s typhon. I think that I could get them to fit w/ some slight modifications but I'm not sure if they'll work properly in the end. With the typhon towers & Mojave A arms I just don't know what shocks to use? Do I need to get Mojave shocks or can I use typhon shocks? Or something else? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Ok, I've hit a snag here. The only shocks that I have on hand are some pro-lines that I had bought for my 3s typhon. I think that I could get them to fit w/ some slight modifications but I'm not sure if they'll work properly in the end. With the typhon towers & Mojave A arms I just don't know what shocks to use? Do I need to get Mojave shocks or can I use typhon shocks? Or something else? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
I think on my widened typhon with mojave arms I was still able to use the stock typhon shocks. There wasn’t a large difference in the distance. The talion/mojave fronts are close to the same size and talion rears will be a tad longer but May work well

I think on my widened typhon with mojave arms I was still able to use the stock typhon shocks. There wasn’t a large difference in the distance. The talion/mojave fronts are close to the same size and talion rears will be a tad longer but May work well
Ideally I would like to use typhon shocks because I already have a 6s Typhon (that I have lovingly been calling "the typhotank!") that's gonna be my all around basher/ jumper/ rock thrower/ cartwheeler- you know, giggle inducer. Would really like to keep some semblance of compatibility between the two. I'm starting to lean towards making this "thing" more of my street/parking lot basher/ drifter/ tire shredder.
BTW, when you used the Mojave arms did you have to get the Mojave steering assembly too. I haven't really been able to get the typhon assembly to travel both directions equally

Ideally I would like to use typhon shocks because I already have a 6s Typhon (that I have lovingly been calling "the typhotank!") that's gonna be my all around basher/ jumper/ rock thrower/ cartwheeler- you know, giggle inducer. Would really like to keep some semblance of compatibility between the two. I'm starting to lean towards making this "thing" more of my street/parking lot basher/ drifter/ tire shredder.
BTW, when you used the Mojave arms did you have to get the Mojave steering assembly too. I haven't really been able to get the typhon assembly to travel both directions equally
The only difference will be the turnbuckles. You can buy the whole thing on jennysrc and take them off or look for them on eBay. I wasn’t sure if you had typhon shocks already or not. With the 3/4s people using them on their rigs they have more than doubled in price. I have a street typhon and an off road typhon. The street one running the mojave arms. On the old swb chassis you had to trim the ears to get the droop screws to hit the tabs and not the plastic. On the newer chassis I think they are the same as the mojave.

6E2D8C72-B5C1-493B-916D-6A1ADE5B01B7.jpeg

The only difference will be the turnbuckles. You can buy the whole thing on jennysrc and take them off or look for them on eBay. I wasn’t sure if you had typhon shocks already or not. With the 3/4s people using them on their rigs they have more than doubled in price. I have a street typhon and an off road typhon. The street one running the mojave arms. On the old swb chassis you had to trim the ears to get the droop screws to hit the tabs and not the plastic. On the newer chassis I think they are the same as the mojave.

View attachment 218719
Sorry but I'm gonna bombard you w/ questions about your process a little bit. That's the typhon w/ mojave arms?☝ How much width did it add? Did you use mojave hubs as well? I have both Kraton-from my yet to be started truggy conversion-& mojave hubs (waiting for Jenny's) so I could use either, correct? Also, would I also need to get mojave sway bars as well? Thank you so much for your input, I've kinda been banging my head against the wall trying to figure some of this out. Any way you could maybe take some pics both front & rear without the wheels on? Thanks again man, really appreciate the knowledge 👊👍

Sorry but I'm gonna bombard you w/ questions about your process a little bit. That's the typhon w/ mojave arms?☝ How much width did it add? Did you use mojave hubs as well? I have both Kraton-from my yet to be started truggy conversion-& mojave hubs (waiting for Jenny's) so I could use either, correct? Also, would I also need to get mojave sway bars as well? Thank you so much for your input, I've kinda been banging my head against the wall trying to figure some of this out. Any way you could maybe take some pics both front & rear without the wheels on? Thanks again man, really appreciate the knowledge 👊👍
The distance from pivot point to the shock mount on the typhon and mojave arms is the same so yer shock choice will be more affected by yer towers.

Mojave arms will add 38mm overall width from yer typhon ones, kraton hubs'll add another 24mm overall. Had to figure all this oot masel tae keep tyres tucked under a body on a long since forgotten build!

Sway bars ah think ye've two different widths depending on yer arm choice and three different diameter/thickness tae choose from.

Yer well on yer way noo tho Josh!

You can see if your sway bars will reach or not, I don’t think I changed mine. As far as hubs mine are still on the typhon hubs which are the same as the mojave and I believe talion. If you go kraton you need the stub axles and hex as well

The distance from pivot point to the shock mount on the typhon and mojave arms is the same so yer shock choice will be more affected by yer towers.

Mojave arms will add 38mm overall width from yer typhon ones, kraton hubs'll add another 24mm overall. Had to figure all this oot masel tae keep tyres tucked under a body on a long since forgotten build!

Sway bars ah think ye've two different widths depending on yer arm choice and three different diameter/thickness tae choose from.

Yer well on yer way noo tho Josh!
Thanks for the solid info!! Guess I'm gonna need a few more pieces. Jenny's is gonna get more of my $$🤨🤣

If yer frankenbuild is purely for the street Josh ye could try infraction/limitless towers and shocks. Ye'll likely pick up a full set cheaper than a pair of typhon shocks. Ah built a mojave on these but canning it cause its only right on rear felony tyres. Likely become a stretched typhon thing to open up tyre choices.
Justified! Again!

Good morning all, hope this finds you well. After another late night of wrenching I made some more progress on this build. I was able to get both suspension arms 90% done (I think). I ended up using the typhon steering hubs that I installed m2c pillow balls retainers in the front. All mojave arms f/r. Got the front drive shaft & mojave axles in as well. I also used the typhon hubs in the rear & installed the rear drive shaft & mojave rear axles. This is where I ran into a seemingly serious issue. @ full suspension travel the ends of the axles come almost completely out of the cups on either end. The front axles fit perfectly w/ hardly any side to side movements, but the rear axles slide back & forth like a half an inch. Really am not sure what went wrong, but it just seems like they're too short? Is there any way to remedy this or do I need to get longer rear axles? These are the ones I got from Jenny's & the fronts fit perfectly so I'm confused. Maybe I didn't put something together correctly? It was 3am so I guess I'll check it again when I get home from work, hopefully w/ a clearer mind!! I'll post pics @ the bottom, hopefully someone here can help. Now I just need sway bars & shocks and to get the heart/brain all dialed in...

20220523_214800.jpg

20220523_225123.jpg

20220523_225155.jpg

20220524_002001.jpg

20220524_002020.jpg

20220524_002047.jpg

20220524_024027.jpg

20220524_023923.jpg

20220524_023835.jpg

20220524_003359.jpg

20220524_024612.jpg

20220524_024727.jpg

20220524_024759.jpg

@WoodiE could you please move this to a build thread? Thank you

Mojave and typhon hubs are the same ah'm sure Josh. Have you set the droop screws at all? Those rear arms look fully extended, fit yer shocks and adjust the droop screws see what like then. Ye've no mixed up the typhon and mojave rear shafts? Late nite spannerin, these things happen! What with the whisky, beer, green or whatever! 😉

Mojave and typhon hubs are the same ah'm sure Josh. Have you set the droop screws at all? Those rear arms look fully extended, fit yer shocks and adjust the droop screws see what like then. Ye've no mixed up the typhon and mojave rear shafts? Late nite spannerin, these things happen! What with the whisky, beer, green or whatever! 😉
How's about all three?!!!!🤣 I have some m2c droop screws already in there, but I don't have the shocks yet. Hopefully today🤞
When get those on I hope that will remedy everything! Thanks again for the info 🤜

Yep i'd screw your droop screws in so it don't extend so far down.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back