Fresh Outcast Job

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe8501

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
Finished this one up a couple hours ago for my bud @aametzger
She came out pretty nice. He wanted the entire body matte but I fought him on that one. I'd say it's an 8 out of 10

20201102_211602.jpg

20201102_211619.jpg

20201102_211628.jpg

20201102_211813.jpg

Great work as always @Gabe8501 !! Aren't you a funny guy regarding the Matte. lol :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Gabe was wanting me to do the hood scoop and the bed in matte and I stuck to my guns with gloss. I think he was right regarding the black part of the bed though, it might have looked better in matte black vs gloss, but regardless it turned out amazing! thanks Gabe!

Wondering how you mask the bed parts? I’ve been trying to fin a way to do that with a Kraton bed, but I’m not coming up with anything other than hand painting the mask, which I don’t think will work well or be much fun.

@jondilly1974 I just taped it. I tried to liquid maak and cut on the Kraton I did a couple of weeks ago but I absolutely have the worst hands lol... i may as well get Michael Meyers to cut the s*** lol
I don't have a good touch, the Kraton bed was a nightmare

Only pics I have of me prepping it

20201102_125404.jpg

20201102_140121.jpg

@jondilly1974 sharing is caring lol
When you prep yours keep me posted bud
One last question about timing of coats. Using rattle cans, would it be best to allow the first coat to completely dry before a second coat or is is best it’s still tacky for layer adhesion? I know in 1:1 paint you don’t want it to completely dry between coats.

@jondilly1974 Oh yeah. I'm fairly new to painting but from what I learned is a few light coats and then maybe come back with a heavier even coat after. Give all coats time to dry. I used a hairdryer (don't have a heat gun) after each coat. When I used rattlecans I let more time pass between coats. I'm so impatient I had to make myself stop and go do something for a bit between coats lol.

@jondilly1974 Oh yeah. I'm fairly new to painting but from what I learned is a few light coats and then maybe come back with a heavier even coat after. Give all coats time to dry. I used a hairdryer (don't have a heat gun) after each coat. When I used rattlecans I let more time pass between coats. I'm so impatient I had to make myself stop and go do something for a bit between coats lol.
I don’t have a problem waiting ? I just set a timer on my phone between coats. I have had issues with metallic paints swirling, so I wondered if I should have let the coats completely dry between them. Seems like 30mins wasn’t enough dry time and the first coat ran when I sprayed the second too soon. ??‍♂️??

@jondilly1974 I've used a metallic blue, metallic black, metallic red, metallic lime green, and a silver on the hind end of this cutie. Only time I had issues swirling was when I painted drunk lol (thanks to @MFM I sought out help and came to grips with my bad habit). I think the swirling came when I went too heavy on the initial coats. I would say just go with 3 real light coats. Apply some heat with a heat gun or hairdryer after each coat for a quick minute or so.

20200823_112050.jpg

@jondilly1974 I've used a metallic blue, metallic black, metallic red, metallic lime green, and a silver on the hind end of this cutie. Only time I had issues swirling was when I painted drunk lol (thanks to @MFM I sought out help and came to grips with my bad habit). I think the swirling came when I went too heavy on the initial coats. I would say just go with 3 real light coats. Apply some heat with a heat gun or hairdryer after each coat for a quick minute or so.

View attachment 107734
I usually have a fan running in the warmer months but now will be using an electric space heater to “bake” the coats. I just might make a go of it today. I have been going back and forth on my masking plans and am about to scrap them all and just go with a single color and send it. Every time I do some crazy scheme, I get mad at the results and wish I would have spent less time and effort. This would avoid all of that. ??‍♂️???

dude, love the color! Nice work.

I don’t have a problem waiting ? I just set a timer on my phone between coats. I have had issues with metallic paints swirling, so I wondered if I should have let the coats completely dry between them. Seems like 30mins wasn’t enough dry time and the first coat ran when I sprayed the second too soon. ??‍♂️??
When painting with rattle cans I’ve had the swirling problem too, for me... it was the metal flakes getting almost stuck together ?? ??‍♂️ The only way I was able to make the those go away was to make sure my van was warm and crazy well shaken. I use a blow dryer to get the can warm prior to painting. Also, I have like a box or some scrap cardboard handy to kind make sure my stream is steady before applying to the body. I think the key was to get the paint good n warm.. (not hot lol)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back