Fried my ADS-15M servo today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
IMG_1252.JPG IMG_1253.JPG

Was running my Kraton today with my daughter and her Mega 4x4, best bash I have had so far and all of a sudden I lost throttle and my wheels went full lock to the right. Took off the body and my esc was blinking red, turned it off for a few seconds and back on. No blinking light, wheels centered and I had throttle again. Turned my wheels left, no problem, as soon as I turned them right they went full lock, esc started blinking again and my servo started smoking.

Took the servo out and could see a red light blinking inside the servo with smoke rolling out of the hole where the wires exit the housing. Got so hot it melted the side of the housing a bit.

Anyone ever had this?

On the bright side though I did get my diff shims today too.

IMG_1254.JPG

That could be, is was a little bit wet but nothing crazy. Honestly though, I would think a non waterproof servo could have handled the amount of moisture because I couldn't even see that anything was around the servo.

I never drove in water either but I do spray he truck after each run.

I’m new to rc trucks so don’t have any experience with this stuff. That being said I decided to go with known brands for parts (like the servo) so I hopefully don’t have to replace them again soon. Maybe that’s a good servo but for that price you can pay $25 more and get a savox 1210 which is widely used here. Couple more bucks and you can get the one I did 1283 which looks beastly from the specs.

I'm just going to upgrade it I guess. Did the 1283 drop in or did you need spacers and stuff?

I bought the hot racing servo mount which is taller then stock for some reason so yes it needs a spacer. I’m trying to find a longer screw to accommodate the spacer today. I just got the servo so haven’t run it yet.

Just real quick. I have a typhon and did an overhaul to my servo and servo mount. The hot racing mount is taller and did not require any shims. They made it so that the servo can be screwed directly to it and there for, even less flexing problems. I also went all out for a bad ass savox SB2274SG. The servo is waaaaay better than stock. One downfall is that it is not waterproof. A little liquid electrical tape and grease... it's now ready for full submerging. Totally recommend this servo for any 1/8 or 1/10 scale set up. Super fast response and tons of torque. Hope that helps...

BASH ON!

Just real quick. I have a typhon and did an overhaul to my servo and servo mount. The hot racing mount is taller and did not require any shims. They made it so that the servo can be screwed directly to it and there for, even less flexing problems. I also went all out for a bad ass savox SB2274SG. The servo is waaaaay better than stock. One downfall is that it is not waterproof. A little liquid electrical tape and grease... it's now ready for full submerging. Totally recommend this servo for any 1/8 or 1/10 scale set up. Super fast response and tons of torque. Hope that helps...

BASH ON!

I’m not using shims or the silver spacers either but still to tall. Are you using anexternal BEC or glitch buster?

Just a couple of runs but no extra goodies for it to work. It was just plug and play.

BASH ON!

Very true...that 1283 does look crazy!

Mongoose
20180217_074308.jpg
I put the savox sw1210 in mine with the proline trencher 3.8s. And the 1210 is water proof also is 7.4v capable. The 1210 has no problem at all turning the 3.8s. I have a v2 outcast and a v3 kraton and typbon. I put the 1210 in all of them and with the dboots sand scorpions that come on the kraton the servo is super fast turns on a dime. Also I didn' have to use any spacers to make the stock hornline up properly.

Took a spacer and shaving down the bolt head on the arm. I did hot racing servo mount so that affected it as well. I have the hot racing servo Horn/arm on the way to see how that fits. Added a glitchbuster for good measure. Big improvement.

Attachments

• F66181C2-2CD6-4B52-A21B-0B0632F8CF0E.jpeg
    F66181C2-2CD6-4B52-A21B-0B0632F8CF0E.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 191F91B3-F103-4AFE-8227-B3A0B2300EC6.jpeg
    191F91B3-F103-4AFE-8227-B3A0B2300EC6.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 56
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to take this Spektrum back and swap it for the 1210SG because like Outcast said it's 7.4V capable and this Spektrum isnt. I just wanted a drop in and didn't know if the Savox was or not.

Hey Bashers!
Burnt up my servo too...
Jumping some snow banks & doing wheelies all over...
Then came the gradual steering trouble...
Then total failure!

So when I smelled the burnt electric odor, I thought I burnt the motor.
But, everything still works but the steering...

So, I thank you guys for the post & the suggestions!
My LHS has an ADS-15M.
But I'll try find the spectrum 1210... I mean Savox...
(I have a good memory, I just can't remember where I put it...)
Have a good one all y'all!
RJP

Mongoose View attachment 16354 I put the savox sw1210 in mine with the proline trencher 3.8s. And the 1210 is water proof also is 7.4v capable. The 1210 has no problem at all turning the 3.8s. I have a v2 outcast and a v3 kraton and typbon. I put the 1210 in all of them and with the dboots sand scorpions that come on the kraton the servo is super fast turns on a dime. Also I didn' have to use any spacers to make the stock hornline up properly.

@Iamtheoutcast did you have to put spacers under the servo bracket? If I don't then my servo will be resting on the chassis. I have the stock servo mount.

No I didn't put any spacers under the servo. Mine does t sit on the chassis I have a v2 outcast I kno the servo bracket is different I'm pretty sure

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back