Kraton Front Diff Binding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungDrew

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Senton 3s
  5. Typhon 6s
Got a new EXB and while I’m waiting on parts to come in, I decide to check my diffs. I start at the front and I’m stuck. I first opened it up and topped it off and put it right back on the same way, then when I checked it... it’s hard to move by hand and binds a lil. I’ve partially taken it apart and put it back together again thinking something isn't seating right but I’ve no luck. I tightened all 4 screws down and its stiff, I can’t turn it by hand. I take it apart again but this time I leave out a star gasket, so theres just the 1 star and 1 circle and tighten down on the 4 screws and its a little better. I took it apart again and checked to see if the smooth side was facing down towards the spider gears, put it together and tighten down and the same thing. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? Thanks for reading.

Makes sense, I will give it a try. Thank you!

Nada. I must have watched Chris Doughty’s video like 50 times... I don’t get where I’m going wrong. I even did a dry build and same problem.

Are you leaving the main gasket off? If you leave it off it will bind. Try this, just finger tight the 4 cap screws. Then check for binding, if doesn’t bind, tighten a little more, if it binds, you need to add a gasket

Gasket is on. Its the plates I think, with just a star shim and circle one, its fine. I can turn by hand no binding or anything. But when I add the 3rd is when I'm screwed. I made sure the smooth side is down towards the gears and all. I tried the min effect lsd too... same thing... I'm just stumped here and it's so frustrating. Do I really need the 3 shims?

Flip the top lsd plate and try again. I just did this, could’ve sworn I put back exactly the way they came out. Was all smooth until tightened then it was locked solid. Somehow the top disk was flipped upside down and when I flipped it back over it was all good.

Dude! Rainger40, that was it! The first two plates were smooth side down and I flipped that last plate and it worked! I can still feel some resistance, but I can turn it by hand. Thank you guys for helping me through this headache!

Dude! Rainger40, that was it! The first two plates were smooth side down and I flipped that last plate and it worked! I can still feel some resistance, but I can turn it by hand. Thank you guys for helping me through this headache!
Glad to help!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back