Notorious Front diff click/shimming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakeaowen15

Reaction score
My front end clicks when I brake/ hard accelerate. I took apart the diff box and spun it and it was making this sound(video link), is that sound normal and is it suppose to do that. Also I noticed that my pinion gear is very close to the crown without any shims behind it, is that too close?

680DF004-40BC-4B31-A57F-C91FF787B577.jpeg

Ok, what abt how close the pinion is to the crown?
You want the pinion as close to the ring gear as possible without any type of binding. Just like when you set your pinion up to a spur gear. Sometimes when you close up the diff case, it becomes tighter too, keep that in mind when shimming. If you install a shim and it gets tight already by simply putting the 2 diff halves together, now it could be even tighter of a mesh.

You want the pinion as close to the ring gear as possible without any type of binding. Just like when you set your pinion up to a spur gear. Sometimes when you close up the diff case, it becomes tighter too, keep that in mind when shimming. If you install a shim and it gets tight already by simply putting the 2 diff halves together, now it could be even tighter of a mesh.
What do you mean by binding? And does my pinion look to close to the crown? And to test how tight the mesh is I can hold both side of the diff outdrives tight, and spin the back to see how tight it is. I want to have the littlest about of movement while holding both outdrives and moving the what moves the pinion right?

What do you mean by binding? And does my pinion look to close to the crown? And to test how tight the mesh is I can hold both side of the diff outdrives tight, and spin the back to see how tight it is. I want to have the littlest about of movement while holding both outdrives and moving the what moves the pinion right?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back