Kraton Front Diff Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travisf90

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Seem like the front diff has taken a dumb again this is the second time this has happened to me and im not sure why or whats going on im running 4s with smaller then stock size tires and still having problems any suggestions on whats going on ? the ring gear is fine but the pinion gets chewed up as you can see in my pictures

Attachments

• DSC_0272[1].JPG
    DSC_0272[1].JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_0271[1].JPG
    DSC_0271[1].JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 59
Things to check....diff isn't shimmed properly, one of the bearings is bad, the bulkhead is made a little off, you got a batch of weak gears (you can't see that), Your front diff is binding from the dog bones hitting into the diff cups, you need better grease, the ring gear is warped.

I can't think of anything else it could be.

If everything looks good....I would say...you got unlucky and got a bad gear. Yeah it can happen more than once.

My guess is...the ring and pinion isn't shimmed properly. I see this in a real vehicle rear.....the pinion just blows if something isn't shimmed proper.

Last edited:
Things to check....diff isn't shimmed properly, one of the bearings is bad, the bulkhead is made a little off, you got a batch of weak gears (you can't see that), Your front diff is binding from the dog bones hitting into the diff cups, you need better grease, the ring gear is warped.

I can't think of anything else it could be.

If everything looks good....I would say...you got unlucky and got a bad gear. Yeah it can happen more than once.

My guess is...the ring and pinion isn't shimmed properly. I see this in a real vehicle rear.....the pinion just blows if something isn't shimmed proper.

i bought this one new the entire unit and haven't had any issues until today the rear is fine im guessing something is shimmed right so ill get a new one and got from there. the bearings are good just replaced all of them about a week ago and rebuild both from and rear diffs all new oil in them so im not sure what happened

Just for the heck of it....make sure your front dog bones don't run fully into the diff outdrive cups. Check this on the down and up travel of the A-Arms. While the A-arm is going down...watch the pin on the dog bone. It should not push into the outdrive cups on the ends of the diff. There should be a little clearance. It could be the reason your front gears are blowing up. They could be taking a jolt from the dog bone. I mentioned this in another post a while back. Also....if you ride wheel stands in the street, try lifting off the throttle just before the front wheels want to touch back down. Could be jolting the front gears....Just a guess.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back