Kraton Front differential housing issues.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingofanna

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey, first post in the forum. I've had my Kraton for about 5 months and it's awesome. At one point I had to replace the housing for my front diff because I cracked it before I got a front bumper. Over time, taking the diff housing apart, I've noticed that I can't tighter the screws down and they spin in the hole (stripped). Now when I drive on 6s the power eventually loosens the halves a little causing the input drive to not make good contact with the spur. I'm currently trying a little loctite in the hole and some plumbers tape to try to tighten them down. Also I cranked the sway bar down as tight as possible to hold it together. I know I should just get a new housing but what is to prevent it from happening again? I don't use my drill on plastic parts. Also, in a related isssue, I'm not wild about the brace for the tbone bumper attaching to the plastic diff housing. I think the force from that may have stripped the holes for the top screws on the housing.

I haven't had the issue you are having but don't use lock tight on plastic. People say it makes plastic brittle. The only thing I can think of is you must be over tightening the screws.

Tighten until you feel resistance the just give a 1/4 more of a turn. Thats all it needs. At this point i would use a slightly bigger screw or buy new diff housing.

Yep, Bigger screw is the best bet. If you look on Ebay, you can find the Entire gear boxes with the differential, bearings and the cups, for like $35. Then you have a spare differential sitting around, for when that finally goes.

Hey, first post in the forum. I've had my Kraton for about 5 months and it's awesome. At one point I had to replace the housing for my front diff because I cracked it before I got a front bumper. Over time, taking the diff housing apart, I've noticed that I can't tighter the screws down and they spin in the hole (stripped). Now when I drive on 6s the power eventually loosens the halves a little causing the input drive to not make good contact with the spur. I'm currently trying a little loctite in the hole and some plumbers tape to try to tighten them down. Also I cranked the sway bar down as tight as possible to hold it together. I know I should just get a new housing but what is to prevent it from happening again? I don't use my drill on plastic parts. Also, in a related isssue, I'm not wild about the brace for the tbone bumper attaching to the plastic diff housing. I think the force from that may have stripped the holes for the top screws on the housing.
Yep been through a few same deal. I don't like attaching anything to that gearbox case. I use the Tbone typhon bumper it only attaches to the underside. Someone has to make aluminium CNC ones, they would be mad !!! GKA made one but for some reason it didn't work

Yeah I was ready for the CNC housings but oh well. I probably over tightened at some point. I went ahead and ordered a new one along with some silicone diff fluid, it's getting time for that too.

I put the black rubberized crazy glue on the screws and just send them in not too tight. I do that often on all RC's

I used a slightly bigger screw with a wider thread that gripped well, after I stripped the stock ones I can post a pic tonight !?

So, I just got a Kraton 6S V4, and am having the same problem. I bought mine from a guy on ebay, who had installed a big T-bone bumper. The truck was brand new and not run. But after mild jumps one of the screws under the diff case keeps backing out. I don't want to mess with a new diff case already, and want instead to try to fix it with some kind of chemical - what is this black glue stuff? What about Shoe Goo? Thanks...

Last edited:
(Old thread I know) But here's a tip for stripped plastic threads. Cut the a length from the tip off a small zip tie (the thinner piece for getting it started), drop that in the hole and then refit your screw - just don't overtighten again. Can be easier to get the new screw started if you leave the plastic a bit long sticking out the hole then trim once the screw is started.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back