Front / Rear differential Talion/Kraton/Typhoon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwrdesign

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
  2. Vorteks
Hi!

Three questions regarding the differentials in the Talion/Kraton and probably Typhoon as well? (I have the Talion)

I took all the differentials a part, since I'm going to change the diff oil as well as assemble them again with some shims (team Durango). Took them apart for a few weeks ago and they've been sitting on paper since then, now when I'm about to assemble them again but I'm not sure which one that is the rear and which one that is the front one? The only differences I can see on them is that one of the spurs is milled on the inside. Do you guys know where that differential should be? In the front or on the back?

98df652c-3c4a-49f2-a280-c24606dca779.jpg

If I look at the amount of grease applied around the differentials inside the housings, and the amount of grease covering the "outside/back" of the spurs I would guess that the differential with the milled spurgear should be in the front. The exploded view for the differential doesn't show this difference?

Second question:

When I disassembled the differentials, the number of small shims doesn't really follow the drawings/instructions/exploaded view, or any logical at all. On the center differential there was two shims on all places except one, on one of the front/rear differentials there where one shim everywhere and on the other front/rear there where one shim on three places except one that had two...

Should I reassemble them like that, or follow the description?

The instructions has one exploded view for any differential, and that one says to use only one shim on each side.

20160520_082521.jpg

Third question:

Two of my dissembled diffs has the gasket/shim with part no AR310444 included, one has not.
Is that correct or has my kids been playing around with the parts? :D The exploded view includes the gasket in the differential.

Best Regards Patrik

EDIT:::: Found this video, so apparently two washers/shims on one side and one on the other side is recommended? That solved my second question :)

Last edited:
It depends not all have the same shimmed
You have to play it with feel
Smooth gears
When i did shimmed my talion
I made sure those gears have no play in and out but smooth gearmesh
[DOUBLEPOST=1463729813][/DOUBLEPOST]That rubber was covered with my shimmed then the diffs pins
Did you upgrade your diffs pins?

A bit embarrassing... the third question regarding the gasket....The gasket was stuck on the spur gear, which made it look like it was milled! LOL

So all questions solved! :)
[DOUBLEPOST=1463732534][/DOUBLEPOST]
It depends not all have the same shimmed
You have to play it with feel
Smooth gears
When i did shimmed my talion
I made sure those gears have no play in and out but smooth gearmesh
[DOUBLEPOST=1463729813][/DOUBLEPOST]That rubber was covered with my shimmed then the diffs pins
Did you upgrade your diffs pins?

Hi!

Ok, I'll assemble it like it was then... someone has made a decision that its ok. :)

Im not upgrading my diff pins, don't have time and tools atm to cut a drill. So the default ones will do!

Best Regards Patrik

Hello all I was wondering is the Kraton and Talion front and rear differential setup the exact same even the gears inside the diff case? If anyone can shed some light on that I would be very thankful I need to replace front one due to a accident involving a concrete street light base!! :/ Thank You ~K.M~

Hello all I was wondering is the Kraton and Talion front and rear differential setup the exact same even the gears inside the diff case? If anyone can shed some light on that I would be very thankful I need to replace front one due to a accident involving a concrete street light base!! :/ Thank You ~K.M~

Never mind everyone I figured answer out to my own question! But thanx anyway ~Kevin~

Mind sharing what you found out if they are the same?

Thanx
I found that kraton and talion are the same lol But now on hunt for a diff case or whole diff replacement for talion/kraton had a cheap new one on ebay missed out on it by about 5 mins Grrr!! I cracked the screw hole on 2 mounting screws on bottom of case so yeah wont b running again till find a replacement in a decent price range every where else I look is back orders!!

Last edited:
yeah it does suck I dunno where else to look LOL JRC was who had a new complete one for cheap but missed out on there deal I'm gonna try call there shop later when open and hope some good news that they will have one soon if not guess I'm still waiting either way!

LOL sell me the diff setup out of the talion ur crushing with urs in profile pic LMAO!!!

never heard of that one but do like the start of the rc man cave LOL gotta make myself one as well ... Good idea!

is hot racing just the diff inside or whole housing?

Yeah what I really need is the plastic case that encloses the diff. inside of it!! LOL I did not see anything like that by hot racing think I wasent clear on what I was looking for and got u confused my bad...

AR310427
Need that!

JTQXVZVW9W8RZQG926R9MEEJCTDGZYEEM8RVGQVTDDZE6BRAGG.jpg
GR3AANMV4JZEDAMZ4DVM8QPUB8E6NQ2QT9WTNB3TPB6DH243F2.jpg

Im ge5ting my house renovated so i need them outside my house haha

Just the half housing
You tranferr everything to the diff cups
20170429_152754.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back