Front/rear diffs same oil wt. for AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calabiyau

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Very new to changing diff oil weights.

I’ve read all the charts that give you benefits of lighter or heavier wts, in front/rear diffs.

My question is that for general running around bashing (not track) why wouldn’t you want equal wt. oil in the front and rear diffs so power goes equally to both, thereby giving you a more awd performance?

Probably over thinking it

awd is in the center diff... start out with 100 and go to 150 then 200 until you get that you like...

Very new to changing diff oil weights.

I’ve read all the charts that give you benefits of lighter or heavier wts, in front/rear diffs.

My question is that for general running around bashing (not track) why wouldn’t you want equal wt. oil in the front and rear diffs so power goes equally to both, thereby giving you a more awd performance?

Probably over thinking it
The oil in the front and rear control the amount of power going from the left side of the diff and the right side. Like Dutch said, center is what control power between front wheels and rear wheels.

The oil in the front and rear control the amount of power going from the left side of the diff and the right side. Like Dutch said, center is what control power between front wheels and rear wheels.

do you know where that oil weight chart is? i think woodie made it... said what the oils did in front rear and center?

I run 100/500/100 in my outcast and like it on 4S with trencher 3.8's. Works well for skate park bashing without unloading a lot to the front tires on hard acceleration, but still enough give to unload some of the power on off kilter landings. The heavier in front/rear also makes it so it doesn't totally unload when on two wheels and helps it track straight when doing long wheelies.

Not great if you care about handling in dirt/loose stuff. Would probably want 30/250/50 or something closer to that.

I run 100/500/100 in my outcast and like it on 4S with trencher 3.8's. Works well for skate park bashing without unloading a lot to the front tires on hard acceleration, but still enough give to unload some of the power on off kilter landings. The heavier in front/rear also makes it so it doesn't totally unload when on two wheels and helps it track straight when doing long wheelies.

Not great if you care about handling in dirt/loose stuff. Would probably want 30/250/50 or something closer to that.

ive never heard of running 100 in the front and back... i could see what you mean though.... more control when not on all 4

I’ve read this. But still working on comprehension ?

ive never heard of running 100 in the front and back... i could see what you mean though.... more control when not on all 4
I run in grass and skate parks. I had 50k on the front/rear of my savage x and flux. When I got the outcast, I wanted it heavier as when I last worked on the savage diffs, all I had on hand was 50k. So, when I got the outcast, I had 500k/100k in the mail and if I ever crack the diffs back open on my savage's, they will also get 100k.

If I ran in dirt or sand, I'd probably run a bit lighter so they turned better, but as it is, any real negative that heavy oil would cause with steering is kind of negated by the high traction surfaces I run on.

I run 100/500/60 wt and really dig the change...it’s more like a real all wheel drive car now 30%-70%......not a 4x4 truck. 50%-50%... you can really hammer into turns and slide it into and push it around a corner instead of doing donuts in the middle of a turn. First pick is 5 min out of the box...second pic is after diff fluid change.

Attachments

• 0338DCA0-1E69-46EA-994C-FAB29E64B208.png
    0338DCA0-1E69-46EA-994C-FAB29E64B208.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
  • 22C841FB-5DCF-499D-8A3D-AD8990DEDABA.jpeg
    22C841FB-5DCF-499D-8A3D-AD8990DEDABA.jpeg
    527.8 KB · Views: 48
Opened my center diff first time and it was filled with black sludge and with what seemed like not much of it. This is a pretty new Kraton too. Less than 10 runs/packs in.

Guess I was expecting it to be more oily so I could just pour it out and replace it but had to dissemble it to get it all out. Not hard at all, just wasn’t expecting it

Last edited:
Opened my center diff first time and it was filled with black sludge and with what seemed like not much of it. This is a pretty new Kraton too. Less than 10 runs/packs in.

Guess I was expecting it to be more oily so I could just pour it out and replace it but had to dissemble it to get it all out. No hard at all, just wasn’t expecting it
Sounds about right lol very little in mine as well.

I haven't changed mine yet but I bought 50 for the front and 500 for the centre and 30 for the rear I also bought 125 so I could thin out the 500 I would personally go with 50/300/30 just switch the front from 50 to 30 if you want more handing the oil from the factory is pretty thin I think 10/100/10 so jumping to much at once imo isn't a good idea take your time and find what's right for you

I run the following and have been happy with the characteristics:

60/200/30k front/center/rear in my Kraton build.

100/500/100k front/center/rear in my senton build.

Not sure what to do yet with my typhon gt8 conversion :unsure:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back