Typhon Frustration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notoriousone

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 6s
Today wasn’t very fun. I took the Limitless GT out for a run today. Spent a couple of hours going through the car last night prepping. My mistake was using GRP tires. I did two runs, the first one was relatively easy and it did a nice 128mph. I waited a minute then headed out for run two. I started farther back and got going, the car was running faster and straight, then the left rear S4 slick blew and threw the car into the curb hard. It bounced off the curb with the body and slid to a stop. Fortunately all electronics ok, except for my Garmin 401, the screen was broken. I also saw one of the front tires didn’t blow, but the edge came about 90% off the rim, there was hardly any glue there.
It’s frustrating crashing like this as these tires blow out inconsistently.. I’ve gone faster than 128mph on GRPs before and they handled it. What’s more, I had added glue and sanded flush the edges of these particular tires, and they were balanced as well.
It’s my own fault for running them I guess as these are known to blow, but there arent many options.
I’ve had blowouts with GRP’s and Hoons, and I’ve had BSR foams chunk during speedruns. GRP tires are supposed to be rated to 160mph aren’t they? Yea right.. the pic shows the blown GRP and the one with the separated edge, both happened today. Also a Silver hoon that came apart last week on a speedrun, again with almost no glue on the inside.
I know foams don’t blow so they are safer but they do chunk easily, I ran BSR before but the car literally had about 1/3 the traction of rubber tires so I tended not to use them. Now I need to figure out how I guess. When I first started speedrunning, at about 100mph I had crashes until I figured out how to keep the front end down, now in the 130’s tires seem to be the issue

EEB74C92-8E89-4D96-9674-319204207145.jpeg

That sucks bro. I’ve had some blow outs too. I’ve been having issues getting S7s down the road. I think I’m going back to S1s. They get chewed up fast but the grip more.

That sucks bro. I’ve had some blow outs too. I’ve been having issues getting S7s down the road. I think I’m going back to S1s. They get chewed up fast but the grip more.
I had great traction with the S4’s, and I’ve had great traction with all GRP tires I’ve used. My problem with these GRP’s is the “belt” they have is just crap. This is the tire that blew, all it consists of is the wheel, foam insert, and rubber. You can see there is some kind of carbon or Kevlar looking material embedded in the rubber. Thats not a belt. That’s what they need to improve the strength of in my opinion. After these past couple blowouts Ive had, for me GRP tires are the same as Hoons, great performing tires for anything you want to do as long as it’s under around 100mph ir so. I still like and will continue to use both GRP and Hoons, just not for speedruns

75527CAD-9044-481F-99EF-0F760590DDC2.jpeg

There is nothing more frustrating that the tires in this hobby.
I cannot use foams to save my life on 1/8 and 1/7 scale. I had tried the pink and purple BSRs and both were like driving on ice when you try anything over 50% throttle. I had been tempted to try traction compound like the drag guys use?

Tommy Unboxing & Review on YouTube recently posted a highly controversial video of a 1/8 on GRP S5's going 173mph. The actual speed likely isn't true for many reasons but you can check it out. One thing that is a takeaway is they ran fishing line over the GRPs then CA glue to hold them from ballooning. I think this concept needs to be investigated further and make GRPs the best option. I keep thinking of some sort of seamless steel band that could be installed and glued on.

His video Another NB4 testimonial also (says with no booster):

It sounds like you did your due diligence and these just failed prematurely which sucks because GRPs are supposed to be pretty solid. I guess they are solid until you start getting up in the triple digits and up range

Sorry about that man....I can feel that pain from here if that were my Infraction. Tires options for this rig seem to be an ongoing ??????

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back