Full scale toys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fahd

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Posted a short video of my full-scale baby in another thread and figured I would start a new thread dedicated to our large scale bashers!

This is my 1986 Mustang GT, built for 1/8 mile racing. The list of mods is massive, but here are a few:
- MSD Pro Billet Distributor
- MSD 6AL Ignition
- Superior axles, Detroit locker
- Ford GT40 (3 bar) heads
- Ford GT40 tubular intake
- BBK 70mm TB and EGR plate
- Pro Flow 75mm MAF
- BBK Cold Air
- Northern aluminum radiator, Flex-a-lite fan w/thermostat
- Full subframe connectors (welded in) and driveshaft loop
- Ford Motorsport aluminum driveshaft
- BBK shorties
- Flowmaster Super 40's (cut and modified), 3 inch to dumps
- Hurst shifter
on and on and on

She's a real female dog to drive on the road because it's made for 1/8th mile, straight line rides, but it's still fun as hell!

20140622_122810.jpg

Always stored in a garage and started periodically throughout the winter:

Messing around, taking my brother for a ride (watching the speedometer in this video is cool, haha):

Had to go out and start her today. Dying for spring to finally arrive:

Nice ride, what does it run at the strip?

I have a 1969 Chevrolet Caprice Kingwood Estate Wagon that is built up for the strip also. We run in the mid 6s at the 1/8th and the mid 10s in the 1/4. Managed to run a 10.412s @ 126.77mph, the car is street legal with a full interior, and weighs in at 5,200 lbs. Here are some of the build specs, like Fahd's post we have really done to much to this car to list it all here so I will just hit the highlights.

Block: Big Block Chevy bored and strocked to 540
Crank: Callies 4.25-inch-stroke
Rods: .385-inch Eagle H-beam
Pistons: 10.4:1 JE
Cam: Comp hydraulic roller cam with 238/242 duration at 0.050 and 0.580/0.590 lift
Carb: 1000-cfm Holley
Intake: Edelbrock Victor Jr
Nitrous: Nitrous Supply Halo Plate system jetted to 400 hp
Transmission: Hughes Extreme Duty Street/Strip series 4L80E
Rear End: Moser 9" with 4.88:1 for the strip

Managed to get it featured in Car Craft magazine back in 2014.
www.hotrod.com/articles/1969-chevy-kingswood-estate-grandmas-ranch-car/

The engine make about 650hp and 750lb-ft on it's own. We also push another 400hp from the Nitrous system. All in the car makes 1000+hp to the rear wheels when it is all working right. Here are some pictures and a couple video's of the car. I didn't manage to get a the Dyno display on the video because I was not wearing any ear protection and we were running the car with open headers at the time. Now I have race mufflers on it, but it's not really any quieter. Moral of the story is don't stand next to an open header car on a dyno without ear plugs in. If you are wearing headphone you might want to turn down the volume before you watch that video.

69_Chevy_Wagon_01.JPG 69_Chevy_Wagon_02.JPG 69_Chevy_Wagon_03.JPG 69_Chevy_Wagon_04.JPG 69_Chevy_Wagon_05.JPG 69_Chevy_Wagon_06.jpg 69_Chevy_Wagon_07.jpg 69_Chevy_Wagon_08.jpg

Wagon Dyno Test

Wagon Burnout

Nice ride, @chevyrumble. It's always cool to see someone build something that isn't just the same old thing. (Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, etc.) Much respect for keeping the old wagon alive!

I can't remember what mine ran at the local drag strip. Unfortunately (very few will admit this), mine is bought not built. I was in the process of building a '78 F150 4x4 (resto from the frame up) and a '64 Rambler American 2 door (302/C4 swap from I6) and got tired of working on them. I was dying to drive something, so I put them both on Craigslist and offered everything I had for a Mustang that was "close to road ready." The first response I got was from the guy with this Mustang, and I didn't think he was serious. He drove it to my house that weekend, and I could hear him a LONG ways off. haha When he pulled into my driveway and got out, I told him I didn't even have to look at it. The trade was good in my book if he wanted my truck/car/parts. He took me for a ride and holy poop...I couldn't believe it. He left saying he had to think about it, then called me back that night and said he would trade.

Here in Maine we have a big Mustang-only cruise that ends at the drag strip where there are races, a car show, barrel races, burnout contests, etc. I tried taking mine down the track, but the tires spin for 300+ feet, no matter what I do. (Even starting in second. Running 4.30's with a five speed.) I don't have any slicks and had to run street tires. My times weren't great, but I ended up 6th place. I kept the slips but they're in storage with the car, in the console.

2004 Superformance MKIII
Windsor based 427 small block, 600hp
MMR PT900 5 speed trans
2400 lbs wet

I believe we have taken it to every race track in Michigan. High 10's at the drag strip on drag radials which is enough to walk right past plenty of cars that can pull their front tires.

My neighbor got a GT350R last summer. He is a lot of fun to torment! :cool:

115-1536_IMG.JPG
04_18_2009 (1727) web.jpg
115-1569_IMG.JPG
T&T 5-4-050019_edited.JPG
10_09_2015 (12791) web.jpg

427 is my goal. Love the 351W, and strokers just plain sound mean.

I have a 1969 Chevrolet Caprice Kingwood Estate Wagon that is built up for the strip also. We run in the mid 6s at the 1/8th and the mid 10s in the 1/4. Managed to run a 10.412s @ 126.77mph, the car is street legal with a full interior, and weighs in at 5,200 lbs. Here are some of the build specs, like Fahd's post we have really done to much to this car to list it all here so I will just hit the highlights.

Cam: Comp hydraulic roller cam with 238/242 duration at 0.050 and 0.580/0.590 lift

The engine make about 650hp and 750lb-ft on it's own. We also push another 400hp from the Nitrous system. All in the car makes 1000+hp to the rear wheels when it is all working right. Here are some pictures and a couple video's of the car. I didn't manage to get a the Dyno display on the video because I was not wearing any ear protection and we were running the car with open headers at the time. Now I have race mufflers on it, but it's not really any quieter. Moral of the story is don't stand next to an open header car on a dyno without ear plugs in. If you are wearing headphone you might want to turn down the volume before you watch that video.

View attachment 9158 View attachment 9159 View attachment 9160 View attachment 9161 View attachment 9162 View attachment 9163 View attachment 9164 View attachment 9165

Wagon Dyno Test

Wagon Burnout
Wow that's insane!

I posted some pics in “what did you buy today” but figured I’d get it over in the right spot.
Here’s my 1986 Mustang (yeah somebody before me switched the nose). Maybe someday I’ll get it back to a four-eye.
It’s pretty much stock except for some air intake and exhaust work.
My cousin bought it in 2008, and only put 2000 miles on it in 10 years. He believed it to have only 75k when he bought it, and the way the motor runs, it may be true. He got it through somebody he knew, but it very well could be 177k right now. Either way, it’s mine now! Lol

Just as with RC - the wrenching is the fun part, so we’ll see where this build goes.
036CBB70-79EC-4E31-97E7-5D5C349C5B35.jpeg
0CB14F44-3E87-4FF2-BB86-07C74C4D1120.jpeg

View attachment 9158 View attachment 9159 View attachment 9160 View attachment 9161 View attachment 9162 View attachment 9163 View attachment 9164 View attachment 9165

Wagon Dyno Test

Wagon Burnout

Being a wagon probably helps keeps rear wheels planted I bet. Nice car! What was the original block?

Fox body is second only to the 68 fastback IMO. I had a 89 fox body gt and a 2006 gt. Loved both cars when i had them. Nice 5.0 by the way.

Thanks man. I’m partial to the 65-66’s myself, but anything in my price range needed way too much work. Had an ‘86 GT 20 years ago, so when this one popped up I had to jump on it.
I just wish it would warm up a little in the NE, or I have to figure out some heat for the garage! Definitely fun little cars to work on!

Being a wagon probably helps keeps rear wheels planted I bet. Nice car! What was the original block?

When my grandparents bought it original in 1969 it had a 327 v8. My grandmother gave it to me for my 16th birthday it was a running fully functional car at the time. Growing up I always worked on the family cars with my dad and he has always been into performance and muscle cars. So as soon as the we got the wagon home it went into a shop and we had a small block 400 crate motor put into it. I drove it as a daily driver for high school. In high school I managed to blow up the 400 twice the 2nd time the block was cracked and not salvageable. We had found a new mechanic, who was a race engine builder and was working on the car with us so we had him build us another small block 400 that made about 500hp. Along with the newly built engine we also had him put NOS on the car and we started going to test-n-tune and open track days at some of the local drag strips around Orange County and San Diego. While I was in college I didn't drive the car that much except in the summers when we would take it out to go racing. My mechanic kept telling us that if we really wanted to make the car run good a the drag strip we had to put a big block in it. We always had a lot of problems getting the small block to run good with the NOS and eventually we did finally pull it out and put in the big block 540 that is in it now. The block is actually a 502 that is bored and stroked out to 540. The motor by itself makes about 650hp and we currently have the NOS jetted to add another 400hp. At 5200 lbs it is a heavy beast that has never been put on a diet, it still has a full interior and working AC. With the big block we actually have had some traction issues. We run what the Street Outlaws would call a small tire, Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial P295/65R15. At 10" wide it is the largest tire we can fit under the stock wheel wells and fenders without having to cut up the car, but that part of what make it fun. You have to figure out how to make your car run the way you want it to. As you can see in a few of my pictures above when we make it hookup the car leave hard and will pull the front tires off the ground 6-10". I even had it come up about 2 foot one time when we were still figuring out the tune. It's an interesting feeling when you have a heavy wagon with a giant hood and all of a sudden you can see the track, the finish line, the walls, or even the score boards because all you are looking at it a giant hood up in the air. Fortunately I was able to get it to come back down softly without doing any damage and finish the run, but it was definitely one pass at the drag strip I will never forget.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back