Kraton Full. Send. - an EXB Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More progress tonight!

View attachment 93941

Finished setting the new hub carrier bearings, as well as setting M2C pillow ball retainers.

View attachment 93942

With the 2028 putting out so much power, I figured the lest flex in the alignment of the spur, the better. An aluminum mount should help.

View attachment 93943

Spool time!

View attachment 93944

50T Pinion and a 36T Spur. Hopefully the 2028 will put out the torque needed... Rumor has it some people are putting 2028s in Arrma 1/8 scale cars at 1:2 gearing, so we'll see.

View attachment 93946

I had to grind down the shroud over the stupidly large pinion to make it fit in the car, but it does now fit!

View attachment 93947

And since there was some interest last night, what I finished off the night with. I am more of a Rye guy, and local is even better.

I will likely have to put the build on hold until the M2C diff output shafts are back in stock, as well as the wire sleeve I ordered to show up, but I do have a few smaller things I can upgrade at the moment - shock upgrades, droop screws, etc.
And I thought the 1717 was overkill ?

@ABabyEater, probably by far the nicest build I've seen. (y) (y) (y):cool:

edit: Did you use shims in your hubs behind the outer bearings to dial out some axel slop (end play)? (TKR1222 shims)

Last edited:
Did you use shims in your hubs behind the outer bearings to dial out some axel slop (end play)? (TKR1222 shims)

Not yet! I am going to pull the entire bulkheads and will likely shim them then. Thanks for already doing the legwork and finding the part number!

Does the bearing kit include bearings to replace the steering bushings or do I need to get those separately?
Sorry for the late reply. Yes it does.

yeah I’ll see how the ss holds up. I never run in water but there is moisture around. I find a lot of the bearings like hubs seem to have a tiny bit of brown rust residue so maybe the stainless will help. Good to know they aren’t faster and still need to be maintained

Good news! I finally received the last of the shims I have been waiting for! I should be able to make some good progress and update the build thread over the next couple of evenings. Hopefully tonight I will be shimming the hubs, as well as the total rear end rebuild.

It looks like I may have spoken too soon. Some developments have come about tonight that are leading me to put the exb project on indefinite hold. Don't worry! It is nothing bad! In fact, quite the opposite. @Pat_ranch has been very generous, and an amazing friend, to let me use his garage with him as work space. As with many garages, things have started to pile up, and the great project that is cleaning and reorganizing has begun. I more than likely will not be working on anything beyond small maintenance and part replacement on my other vehicles until the garage finished. That means no more exb for now, but I will be back!

Ok, a little (or a lot) of both. The Felony is incredible. Probably the most fun RTR car I have ever had. Anyways, back to EXB

IMG_20200829_200251326.jpg

Tried making new pins out of McMaster Carr 2.25mm drill stock. It didn't fit...

IMG_20200829_202854437.jpg

Ended up using stock Arrma pins on the spool assembly. M2C output cups, Hot Racing spool assembly, Hot Racing 36T spur, Arrma pins, Fast Eddy's ceramic bearings, Tekno 1222 shims.

IMG_20200829_203903248.jpg

IMG_20200829_203915707.jpg

It all worked pretty well sitting between the Hot Racing center diff carrier, and PPS motor mount, but there was a significant amount of play that had to be shimmed out.

IMG_20200829_204836589.jpg

I always find it awfully convenient that the 6S line modularizes down to the front, center, and rear assemblies.

I broke down the rear diff, and reshimmed it, there are tons of guides so I won't bother going through this process step by step until I inevitably nuke it. Reassembled with Hot Racing bulkhead, and center brace mount, TBone rear bumper, tried the TBone tail mount, but it didn't fit, so I used the original tail mount and plan on adding the 6S wheelie bar. I may have forgotten to take pics of the completed assembly, as I was a bit too excited having finally gotten back to working on the EXB.

IMG_20200829_211421308.jpg

Interesting note: the outer input shaft bearing on the HR bulkheads is larger than stock, and I wasn't able to Fast Eddy it with what I have on hand. For reference, it takes a 5x13x4mm bearing.

IMG_20200907_183050922.jpg

Tearing down and rebuilding the front diff, I put in a Hot Racing bulkhead as well. Both diffs are running Sun/round plate/star/star, with the abrasive sides touching. 50k in the front, 30k in the rear.

IMG_20200907_195616718.jpg

IMG_20200907_195621843.jpg

Fully reassembled front, featuring Scorched Parts center brace, Hot Racing brace ends, Hot Racing ends, M2C droop screws all around, TBone bumpers. I ended up only upgrading the rear front lower hinge pin hanger to aluminum, as the rest were used for either bumper mounts or had steel inserts. As far as I'm concerned, Steel > Aluminum.

Next up are shocks, transitioning over to M2C emulsion caps, as well as Tekno ends.
Electronics will likely come last.

Last edited:
I'll be updating the last bits of the build part of this thread soon. Shocks, electronics, etc. Finished about 11:30 last night, so first run will have to be today after work, maybe tomorrow.

Ok, here we go.

IMG_20200912_193836358.jpg

Tore down and rebuilt the shocks. Not bad coming straight off the car. Started the more standard 7mm shock ends.

IMG_20200912_200600833.jpg

Torn down, cleaned up, and ready to reassemble. M2C zrs full setup, Tekno ends, and new HPI pivot balls.

IMG_20200912_211625523.jpg

Reassembled and ready to go. Filled as per the instructional video straight from M2C with TLR40wt oil. Probably going to push it up to 90-100wt. Fully assembled it slaps the chassis from only about 2ft, and the Trenchers are so heavy and squishy, that they rebound way fast.

IMG_20200912_225146732.jpg

Picked up a Kill Mode cap pack just in case, but since I am not speed running the EXB, I likely won't be using it.

Soldered up the MMX8S with EC5 connectors, setup for 2 batteries, and with an inline splice and connector ends sealed and heat shrinked over, in case I decide to use the ESC for speedruns in the future.

IMG_20200916_223757395.jpg

IMG_20200916_223746302.jpg

After some basic adjustments to the ESC/transmitter, it was time for a (catastrophic) first run.

About half throttle, likely close to 55mph, started to lift and lose traction, and pivoted to lead with on tire. The leading tire hit the chalk rainbow on the road, lost all traction (turns out chalk is quite slippy), diffed out, and the front right tire went full potato. Literally torqued the dog bone through the output cup, seized the wheel, and launched the EXB well over 100ft into a ditch.

Carnage.

IMG_20200917_204942866.jpg

The diff grease isn't even dirty.

@Mitchell looper Help! I've crashed and I can't turn left!

Ok, here we go.

View attachment 100377
Tore down and rebuilt the shocks. Not bad coming straight off the car. Started the more standard 7mm shock ends.

View attachment 100378
Torn down, cleaned up, and ready to reassemble. M2C zrs full setup, Tekno ends, and new HPI pivot balls.

View attachment 100379
Reassembled and ready to go. Filled as per the instructional video straight from M2C with TLR40wt oil. Probably going to push it up to 90-100wt. Fully assembled it slaps the chassis from only about 2ft, and the Trenchers are so heavy and squishy, that they rebound way fast.

View attachment 100380
Picked up a Kill Mode cap pack just in case, but since I am not speed running the EXB, I likely won't be using it.

Soldered up the MMX8S with EC5 connectors, setup for 2 batteries, and with an inline splice and connector ends sealed and heat shrinked over, in case I decide to use the ESC for speedruns in the future.

View attachment 100381
View attachment 100383
Hard to believe that 2020 still leaves room for a bigger can ??‍♂️

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back