Kraton Fully Sent. An EXB carnage thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABabyEater

Kult of Speed
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Limitless
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Nero
  7. Raider
  8. Senton 3s
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
  11. Vorteks
Now that the build is finally complete, it is time to catalog the many disintegrations and evaporations that will inevitably come with a Castle 2028.

1st run: disaster.

About half throttle, likely close to 55mph, started to lift and lose traction, and pivoted to lead with on tire. The leading tire hit the chalk rainbow on the road, lost all traction (turns out chalk is quite slippy), diffed out, and the front right tire went full potato. Literally torqued the dog bone through the output cup, seized the wheel, and launched the EXB well over 100ft into a ditch.

IMG_20200917_204942866.jpg

Luckily, I still have 2 brand new output cups from the center diff I pulled out.

Time to get back to wrenching...

Good crazy, that’s some power!

A 1717 would probably have been overkill, but my LHS had the sensored 2028 at the same price. Figured why not, I can always just gear it lower of I have too much torque. Well at a 50T pinion on a 37T spur, I still had way too much torque. Installed the biggest I can fit (55T pinion), so we'll see how that changes things. I really do have to get my B•Link up and running to change setting on the fly. Hopefully that'll help.

A 1717 would probably have been overkill, but my LHS had the sensored 2028 at the same price. Figured why not, I can always just gear it lower of I have too much torque. Well at a 50T pinion on a 37T spur, I still had way too much torque. Installed the biggest I can fit (55T pinion), so we'll see how that changes things. I really do have to get my B•Link up and running to change setting on the fly. Hopefully that'll help.
The 1717 is a joke compared to your 2028 ?. That's insane that you managed to fit it in there. Looking forward to future videos with this beast?

You know there’s power settings in the ESC, you don’t have to put a large pizza sized pinion on there ??✌?✌?

Honestly I wouldn't want all that weight. But it is definitely a fun build. Just remember that there is only so much usable power you can have in these things (unless you are speed running).

Honestly I wouldn't want all that weight. But it is definitely a fun build. Just remember that there is only so much usable power you can have in these things (unless you are speed running).

Oh I know. It's more because I could, not because I should. No one should. At least the parts can be stripped for other cars in the future!

Just got off the phone with Castle. Looks like my B•Link.is DOA. Still acts as a passthrough, but I can't tune it. Effectively dead in the water. I can run it without, but I'm not sure it is a good idea.

Now that the build is finally complete, it is time to catalog the many disintegrations and evaporations that will inevitably come with a Castle 2028.

1st run: disaster.

About half throttle, likely close to 55mph, started to lift and lose traction, and pivoted to lead with on tire. The leading tire hit the chalk rainbow on the road, lost all traction (turns out chalk is quite slippy), diffed out, and the front right tire went full potato. Literally torqued the dog bone through the output cup, seized the wheel, and launched the EXB well over 100ft into a ditch.

View attachment 100423

Luckily, I still have 2 brand new output cups from the center diff I pulled out.

Time to get back to wrenching...
Damn Rainbows! Always causing trouble?

It runs! Or rather... ran...

More carnage. This thing is a monster. First landing at 15-20% throttle blew out the hub on one of my Raids.

IMG_20201019_185900262.jpg

Threw a wheel nut due to sudden lack of tension on the threads and subsequently launched the mangled wheel.

Oh well, snagged a new nut, slapped the sucker back on, and off we went! It still drove ok, a little bouncy on the newly non-concentric hub. That is, until an awkward bounce mid departure from a ramp caused a harsh landing with a loud crunch on the very same wheel.

Sheared a screw on the tail mount (going to be fun extracting it from the aluminum diff case) and cleanly snapped a Tekno end. Speaking of which, has anyone come to a consensus on if the EXB ends or the Tekno ends are tougher?

IMG_20201019_185832699.jpg
IMG_20201019_185845062.jpg

All said and done geared 55:34 the 2028 did amazingly, never cogged, never a lack of torque, and blindingly fast. In medium grass it acted no different than asphalt. No fans on the motor, not sure if I will need them. 100°F or so. Definitely will have to tweak the brake (break) setting higher.

Oh, and as a final thought, no diff carnage. Nothing feels or sounds at all amiss as of yet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back