Felony Functional parachute

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might try it but the first test today I went faster and it worked, I should have looked it over, but I didn’t. To be fair I didn’t think about the force on it at the threads. Gonna try overkill on the threads. If that don’t work then a spring.

Or some heavy duty rubber bands would work too...
Lighter in weight & can be packed in your holder a lot better and cheaper.

How about these ?

Screenshot_20221225-181955.png

Maybey it's a bad idea .just ignore it.lol
Didn't even realize people use these on rock crawlers

True, but if memory serves me correctly (which is always a question), those are plastic. I suspect that they might tear out under the high load of a 1/7 scale car.

They are about the same cost/sq-in anyway, 7/100ths of a penny. If you factor in the cost of replacing the plastic chutes, the nylon will be cheaper.
View attachment 263016

But I think your right, we need more chute than just one or two. In this Traxxas video they jump a Slash off the roof and deploy a parachute (two) for the landing. I think they are using 2x 54" SKLZ parachutes.
  • 54" X 54" chute provides approximately 15-30 lbs. of progressive resistance (depending on speed of user)
There are knock off chutes for about 1/2 the price.

View attachment 263018

I wonder how tightly we can pack them? Also it will add some weight to the car, the knock off says it ways 0.5 Kg (1.1 lbs).

This was from another thread and tearing out was an option. The references to the plastic/nylon chutes are for model rockets. The Traxxas team used some resistance parachutes. I was thinking one or two might be a good place to start. But they are pretty big.

Awesome!
Got to get some videos up showing the chutes in action!!

Question-
Why would you choose just one?

Shouldn't it be Both like on a real 1:1 dragster?
Just saw the 2nd question. Every time a dragster pulls the chute they actually do it under power. When I pull the chute and hit the brakes the car slows to a stop faster than the chute can open. When I pull the chute and hammer the brakes, the car would spin and tangle in the chute. That’s what I mean by you have to pick one. I honestly believe after running it so many times it can brake faster than the chute can be effective, at least below 100mph. But I am building up to the goal of 150mph. The chute I’m using is an 18” hand parachute that skydivers use to throw open their main chute. Super strong, and way too big to use two. But I might go to double 9” chutes when I get it working well.
This was from another thread and tearing out was an option. The references to the plastic/nylon chutes are for model rockets. The Traxxas team used some resistance parachutes. I was thinking one or two might be a good place to start. But they are pretty big.
So I actually started with those. Tore up immediately and didn’t seem like it’s viable. I’m using nylon chute that they use to open main parachutes in skydiving now. It’s 18” and it slows the car fast, but it broke the threads on the video. Tomorrow will be better video hopefully.

Just saw the 2nd question. Every time a dragster pulls the chute they actually do it under power. When I pull the chute and hit the brakes the car slows to a stop faster than the chute can open. When I pull the chute and hammer the brakes, the car would spin and tangle in the chute. That’s what I mean by you have to pick one. I honestly believe after running it so many times it can brake faster than the chute can be effective, at least below 100mph. But I am building up to the goal of 150mph. The chute I’m using is an 18” hand parachute that skydivers use to throw open their main chute. Super strong, and way too big to use two. But I might go to double 9” chutes when I get it working well.

So I actually started with those. Tore up immediately and didn’t seem like it’s viable. I’m using nylon chute that they use to open main parachutes in skydiving now. It’s 18” and it slows the car fast, but it broke the threads on the video. Tomorrow will be better video hopefully.

Okay.
I understand now.

& Not sure if you know..
But you could turn down your braking power to maybe 50% (from 62%) or even down to 38% or lower...

That's very interesting.. To repurpose actual drag chutes from sky drivers 👊

Tomorrow I’m gonna ask my wife to sew it crazy, and I’ll post test number 13. Oh crap, lucky number 13.
Awesome can't wait 👍

Kinda silly I had to post to YouTube to post here.
I didn't have to when I posted a video on here me using my 42" catamaran boat.i pressed on my vid and pressed share them chose what to use I then picked my Google photos and confirmed with my email then I posted the link to vid here and people saw it.i wasn't sure on how else to do it and I don't have a u tube account.either way glad you posted a vid for us to see thanks👍

Last edited:
Maybe try paracord? It's made for "para"chutes. I suspect the stuff on Amazon is not truely mil-spec 550 paracord, but it's probably good enough.
Bro… I’m an idiot. That’s what I’m gonna try. We used it in the Marines all the time and I feel stupid not thinking about it.
Okay.
I understand now.

& Not sure if you know..
But you could turn down your braking power to maybe 50% (from 62%) or even down to 38% or lower...

That's very interesting.. To repurpose actual drag chutes from sky drivers 👊
Yea they are on eBay for like $5 and they are stronger than the rocket chutes by a lot. The braking force I’m actually scared to turn down. I’m worried I’ll need it and not have it lol

Bro… I’m an idiot. That’s what I’m gonna try. We used it in the Marines all the time and I feel stupid not thinking about it.

Yea they are on eBay for like $5 and they are stronger than the rocket chutes by a lot. The braking force I’m actually scared to turn down. I’m worried I’ll need it and not have it lol

Another type of thread to use is compound bow serving thread ,it's rated up to 85lbs.
Super thin (like fishing string thin) and Very strong.

I think you need Two of those..
For Coolness factor And Redundancy 😆
Just ordered 3. Gonna try two but still use one bag if I can get the other one to work out. We will see in a few weeks when it comes on the mail.

7AFE76AD-F101-4701-BB9B-37994B138561.png

Another type of thread to use is compound bow serving thread ,it's rated up to 85lbs.
Super thin (like fishing string thin) and Very strong.
Soon I’m gonna have to do the castle conversion to keep testing this thing too.

My wife is sewing the chute to the ribbon that holds it now. Video coming in a few hours.

View attachment 265158
That's a very helpful wife you have .give her a big kiss when she's done.if I can only get my wife to clean up my RC cars and trucks and boats I'd be happy

That's a very helpful wife you have .give her a big kiss when she's done.if I can only get my wife to clean up my RC cars and trucks and boats I'd be happy
Yea I have to do the cleaning up the rcs, but she is amazing and was willing to help me stop talking about a bolt on parachute for and rc car 😂.

You might want to buy some vertical stabilizers (like the limitless rear wing). The back of that car was sliding all over the place.
I was thinking about it. Really I wanted to develop a recovery device for just in case before anything. The road is ice cold, and the tires were also cold, but I’m not on foams or anything special yet, just the chute. I don’t even begin to know how I will mount vertical stabilizers on the felony. And gonna need some castle power first too lol

You might want to buy some vertical stabilizers (like the limitless rear wing). The back of that car was sliding all over the place.

Perhaps some roof rails like in NASCAR
1672098774340.png

1672098801164.png

or one of those large central sharkfin like in F1

1672098943871.png

Could help give a bit more stability..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back