Granite Fury BLS upgrade to Spektrum Smart system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skaxis

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
Hey gang, it's been some time since I last posted here. Apologies, there doesn't seem to be a Fury prefix and the system is forcing me to choose something.

A cross country move hindered my R/C activity quite a lot. I dug out my Fury BLS loaner to introduce the hobby to a few people. The last loan didn't go so well. The motor drive shaft slid forward enough that it slipped right out of the rear bearing. Naturally, this shredded the spur gear. I have never seen this type of failure before! It wasn't a junk motor either. I had issues with the stock motor and ESC back when I bought the truck and Arrma swapped me out with a new BLX ESC and a new motor but I never installed them. Instead, I went with a Castle Sidewinder 3 ESC and a Speed Passion Competition 3.0S 3500K brushless/sensorless motor. The combo has been a great performer, up until now.

IMG_0933.JPG

Since Speed Passion appears to be out of business :( and Castle doesn't seem to be offering 540 sized, brushless/sensorless motors I decided to give the new Spektrum Smart system a try. I bought the Firma 2S 85W ESC and the Firma 3300Kv brushless/sensorless motor from amain.com I also opted to get a 5000 mAh 50C Smart LiPo and S150 charger combo to make things a lot simpler for the never used an R/C before folks I tend to lend this rig out to. My hope is that it'll take all the guesswork out of using the truck so that they can fully enjoy the experience without any of the hassles.

The motor installed perfectly fine as one would expect. The smooth end cap makes for a cleaner install than the Speed Passion unit previously installed.

IMG_0951.JPG

The ESC is a bit bigger than the fanless Sidewinder I had in there but I'm pleased to report that the Spektrum ESC has tabs on either side which line-up perfectly with the mounting posts on the Fury's chassis.

IMG_0953.JPG

The power switch is intended to be screwed down to the chassis as well. The best option I could find was one of the side plate mounting holes that the BLS model doesn't actually use (unless you've added the plates as a hop-up that is.)

IMG_0954.JPG

I'm still using the stock Tx and Rx but I may complete the Smart system upgrade and get the transmitter/receiver as well. The feature I'll gain is a battery level indicator on the transmitter. I think new folks might find such a feature useful.

The only hitch in the entire upgrade is that the motor spins the wrong way. If I use the throttle channel reverse switch on the transmitter it will work in the correct direction but pulling the trigger uses the reverse track in the ESC thus providing only about 60% power. To remedy this problem I simply swapped the A and C wires on the motor. Now it spins in the correct direction with the transmitter throttle switch set to normal and it uses the ESC forward track so I get full power.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back