Fury BLX Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, got the new parts, also got some new shock oil and diff oil.

Fury is a great car to work on once you get to know it :)
Trying to get to the diff for the first time was kinda hard, lol
Got 300/350/400/450cst shock oils and 7500cst diff oil
Going to give it a nice overhaul and clean this weekend.

I do have to say, Arrma parts are pretty cheap, thats a big plus :D

Cracked the diff open today, Arrma sure can improve their technique on how to properly fill a diff, LOL!
A big chunk of fat brown grease on one side of the diff and nothing on the other side.
Properly filling it will make a huge improvement I think :)

Cracked the diff open today, Arrma sure can improve their technique on how to properly fill a diff, LOL!
A big chunk of fat brown grease on one side of the diff and nothing on the other side.
Properly filling it will make a huge improvement I think :)

You have the plastic (composite) diff, which they did not fill with silicon oil, but grease indeed.
The original metal one (2011 & 2013 version) was properly factory filled with 10,000 cps silicon oil.

Yep, filled the plastic diff with 7500cps diff oil instead of that chunk of "grease" and it feels 100 times better.
Now on to the refill of the shocks, I hate that, never get them right the first time... :p

The rest of the Fury is back together, and I'll try it with the new diff and shock oil somewhere next week probably.

I wonder how long your diff will hold...
I too run 7000 cps diff oil in all three of my Fury's.

Now on to the refill of the shocks, I hate that, never get them right the first time...

You will never be able to fill them properly, since any compensation for the reduced shock volume when pressed in is missing in the stock shocks.
A membrane or piggy bag needs to be used. They are simply not available from Arrna itself.

Well, got everything back up and running now.
The shocks feel somewhat smoother, it will have to do until I get myself some better shocks with a membrane :)

I think it's too bad Arrma doesn't recognize the shock problems of these models at all as they have no intention of changing them or producing upgrades...

Got some more runs on the Fury lately...
The body definitely needs some air holes, with big jumps it is waaaaay to light, the wind litteraly blows it away.
This has caused me do have a hard landing upside-down, breaking the rear body mount.
The rest of the vehicle, including the a-arms have held up great.

Even the shocks did their work great when jumping 4-5m high and 6+m far.

Will do sometime, went there again today, but totally forgot to take some pictures/film it.
It is on an BMX track, but a lot of landings are really bad, first I thought it was the wind catching under the body so I made some holes in the rear.
But the truck just has a bad aspect of flipping backwards in air on higher jumps, even when fully braking.
Causing it to land on the rear bumper or even on the roof.
Broke the rear body mount again because of this, snapped it clean off the the parts where it mounts in.
Also tried a few jumps without body, but it still kept flipping backwards...
So, I'm probably not jumping it higher than around 1m anymore :p

It is on an BMX track, but a lot of landings are really bad, first I thought it was the wind catching under the body so I made some holes in the rear.

But the truck just has a bad aspect of flipping backwards in air on higher jumps, even when fully braking.

Causing it to land on the rear bumper or even on the roof.

That's because the stock Fury body (well, maybe the 2017 version is better, I don't know TBH) has horrible aerodynamics for jumping. You need to open up holes in the front, not the rear. You'd think they'd get that bit right considering Arrma is a basher-centric brand. Pick up a ProLine Flo-Tek body if you want to completely change the jumping characteristics of the Fury. IMHO the Toyota Tundra is the best looking of the bunch but if you're really going to launch it, the original Flo-Tek with all the vent holes opened is probably your best choice.

If you want to increase the life of the body (at the sacrifice of a little added weight) get yourself a nice vinyl wrap for it. AMR Racing makes a number of options for the Flo-Tek (among other bodies). All you do is paint bomb the shell black and apply the wrap. If you go this route I suggest using a hair dryer to aid in application. Warm vinyl is much easier to manipulate around corners. I've done 2 bodies so far and I'm only now getting the hang of it.

Ah the front not the back... :D
Those vinyl wraps look great! Thanks for the tip on those

I don't intend on launching it that much anymore, the latest Fury BLX just can't handle it...
Bad landing: almost every time something breaks
Good landing: the first few are fine, but then the shocks will pop open at some time

But until now, I really haven't had a vehicle break as much as the Fury BLX.... :(

It appears some of the parts are good quality and some are bad quality, even if you get the same part #...
Broke a few a-arms in a row, and the last set has held up great so far.

The other thing I kept breaking was the rear body mount, snapped clean of the chassis.
Swapped that out for the rear body mount & bumper from the 2015 Fury and will see how those hold up.
Also looks a lot better imho.
With the new (2016) bodymount setup all forces are on that one small bodymount as nothing is able to flex and it will break immediately, with the old (2015) bodymount setup more parts are able to flex thus forces are split over multiple parts.

Well, it's still in one piece :p

Also finally got my proline beadlocks in, so I could mount the Caliber tires
Got some runtime on it, a difference of day and night.
No more spinning out in the corners, and finally it accelerates in a perfectly straight line, sometimes even with wheelies.

Only thing I can't do with these tires is street running, they will probaly wear out within 1 or 2 lipo packs :p

Sooo, long time no post...

The rear body mount and bumper from the older model Fury are holding up great.
But now the parts below it are cracking.
It looks to me that the 2016 and newer BLX models use a different kind of plastic which appear to break much faster.
And I don't even ride it that hard anymore as everytime I drive it I have €20-30 in damage.

Damage list so far after around 20 times driving the Fury...
- 3x front a-arms, after 3 breakages the latest set hold up fine so far, might order RPM as spares
- 3x rear body mount, switched to 2015 model rear body mount and bumper set, no more issues
- 2x front body mount support, bad landing on the nose causes the parts where you screw the bumper in to crack, no solution found yet
- 2x rear body mount support, still using a cracked version right now, seems to hold up
- 1x spur/pinion cover, pretty hard plastic, small hit on the edge causes it to split
- 2x nerf bar

For now it has 2 broken parts, will replace them in the coming week...
- rear body mount support
- spur/pinion cover

Last edited:
Sooo, long time no post...

The rear body mount and bumper from the older model Fury are holding up great.
But now the parts below it are cracking.
It looks to me that the 2016 and newer BLX models use a different kind of plastic which appear to break much faster.
And I don't even ride it that hard anymore as everytime I drive it I have €20-30 in damage.

Damage list so far after around 20 times driving the Fury...
- 3x front a-arms, after 3 breakages the latest set hold up fine so far, might order RPM as spares
- 3x rear body mount, switched to 2015 model rear body mount and bumper set, no more issues
- 2x front body mount support, bad landing on the nose causes the parts where you screw the bumper in to crack, no solution found yet
- 2x rear body mount support, still using a cracked version right now, seems to hold up
- 1x spur/pinion cover, pretty hard plastic, small hit on the edge causes it to split
- 2x nerf bar

For now it has 2 broken parts, will replace them in the coming week...
- rear body mount support
- spur/pinion cover

I'm late to this thread, but I wanted to say that I appreciated your long-term review of the 2016 Fury BLX. I have had a similar experience to yours with my Granite BLX. I haven't broken as much as you have, but I have had to replace the transmission and several A-arms from what I would consider to be lighter-than-average bashing. It just seems like these 2WD BLX models don't have the sufficient strength to handle the power that the BLX system puts out.

I almost think the ECX vehicles are a better buy at this price range.

A some time ago I took it out for a run, and again broke some parts in the rear.

That was it with Arrma for me, repaired the Fury and sold it...

I'm thinking of doing the same with the Granite BLX, and taking the electronics (which are pretty decent) and putting them into an old Pro-line Pro MT roller.

Arrma's 1/8 scale cars are fantastic though!

Why did they stop equipping the aluminum side reinforcements for the new blx??? kinda sad tbh - for a blx it should be standard IMO

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back