Futaba 3PV Signal Booster Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondilly1974

Speed running apprentice, motor Slayer 🤘
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon 3s
I have been working the last few days on a signal booster for my Futaba 3PV radio. I don't need this for general bashing as the stock radio range is about as far as I can see on a sunny day, which happens to be about 750ft. But doing speed runs, I will need a little more than that, so I bought a booster off eBay.

Here is a stock image of the 3PV radio. Notice the stock antenna nub on the front. This will be my mounting stud.

1586464245739.png

Here was my first design attempt

Futaba 3PV Booster Holder 1.0.png

B3DE0020-F599-4076-B0D1-71994B2ED8DF.jpeg

That would have worked fine, but I realized these get hot and need active cooling. So I reworked the design to add some HobbyStar 30mm fans.

Futaba 3PV Booster Holder 2.0.png

480A02E3-A373-4D95-AD52-1CCC61D2D524.jpeg

This printed well too, but I quickly realized the power wires were going to be a mess. I want this to be easy to remove for general bashing, so I need quick connects.

Now on to the current design. I added a power switch and LED indicator. I am also planning on using a PCB and JST-XH connectors for quick power connections.

Futaba 3PV Booster Holder 4.0.png

Futaba 3PV Booster Holder 4.0 (1).png

Here is a video of the design. This was completely created in TinkerCAD.

Nice work, designing in tinkercad is cumbersome but it definitely has a lot less of a learning curve than learning how to use 3D modeling software. I am continually impressed by people who can design moderately intricate parts in just tinkercad alone.

What is the signal booster you used??

Nice job. Interested to see to outcome

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112384832964

Above is the link to the booster. It’s just now coming together as I was waiting for the antenna cable and the LED. I should have results soon and will follow up when I have them.

Also impressed that you do this in Tinker CAD. You really need to switch over to Fusion 360!!! Your design time would easily be cut in half.
I tried man. I’m really quick in TC. I can make something like this in under 10 mins if I know what I want. It is the revisions that take more time because I just am unsure 100% what I want it to be like or something doesn’t fit perfect. Also when a print shrinks .01mm.

I tried man. I’m really quick in TC. I can make something like this in under 10 mins if I know what I want. It is the revisions that take more time because I just am unsure 100% what I want it to be like or something doesn’t fit perfect. Also when a print shrinks .01mm.

Wow I am impressed. Maybe ill have to give TC another try. I found it very difficult to use

this is really cool @jondilly1974 !! Whenever I do a speed run build I'll definitely have to try this! How far along are you?
Waiting for new LEDs to arrive. I guess the ones I bought were only 5V. The listing said up to 12V but they were mistaken. Should be here in the next few days and then I just have to solder the LED in and assemble.

how are you wiring it to the radio? Is it just to the antenna?
Yeah the radio has a wired internal antenna with a U.FL connector. The booster has an SMA connector. So I bought a U.FL to SMA cable on eBay to make the connection. The booster comes with the SMA cable that is intended to be soldered onto the board. But since my board had a socket, I figured this wouldn’t be the best way. Also, with my design, I can easily remove the whole setup and go back to stock.

Nice work.

You can use pretty much ANY LED by adjusting the value of a series resistor used with it. Since yours have a stated working voltage, the resistor (or a regulator) is in the package with the LED.

Nice work.

You can use pretty much ANY LED by adjusting the value of a series resistor used with it. Since yours have a stated working voltage, the resistor (or a regulator) is in the package with the LED.
Yeah I could make room for one, but wanted the easy button. Also the new one has stranded jacketed wire leads and the originals had solid bare wires. I think that will make it easier to fit too.

On my frsky tx I use the VAS_Shapeshifter for my 2.4 rigs. I also use the VAS shapeshifter on my 900mhz setup. I'm thinking I might try the shapeshifter on my t3pv if I start having range issues or just mod my 900mhz to it.

It’s ALIVE!!! All done. I did a quick test in my neighborhood and I quickly ran out of range with the power off to the booster, best guess is a few hundred feet. Turned the booster on and drove out of sight range before deciding to chase after it so I could turn around safely. ???

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back