Futaba 4pm mapping throttle limit to control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
I'm not sure if it's just me, but I have a hard time reading the futaba manuals.

I constantly change the throttle limit handing the radio over to my boys. I can't figure out a way to map the throttle limit to the knob so I would have instant access to that.

If I can't do that, is there anything else that people use the extra switches and knobs for?

As a side note, I was trying to figure out how to use the large handle button to make my own lap timer, but I can't seem to figure out how to use it that way. It says it has a lap mode, but I can't figure out how to make it do that.

2nd side note, I also have a 3pv and I have to say that adjusting the throttle limit on that radio for my boys is terrible. They can easily figure it out on the 4pm, but the 3pv they have to hand it to me and I don't like that menu system at all.

edit: 3rd side note LOL... I need to get a scratch protector for these radios and I can't seem to find one. Do people make their own or what do you do?

I would create an additional model memory for the same rig with the discrete settings you so desire at any given time. Most decent multi-model radios can do this. Will be much easier than trying to do it your way.
Futaba is known for hard to understand instructions. FWIW.

I have a 7PXR and I've done a fair bit of configuring and personalizing. I use the rotary to control the aux channel of my XLX2 which I have controlling max output (I find this a convenient feature when testing a new setup be it different gearing, motor, change in lipo cell count, etc. to ease into each new setup if that makes sense).

I set up some stuff in the conditions menu - the button on the grip toggles between condition 1 & 2. Condition 1 is normal operation (full power/full steering). Condition 2 is identical except i have the throttle rate set to zero. I use this for drag pulls. Pull up to the line, hold the button to activate condition 2, pull the trigger to full throttle, release the button to instantly go from 0-100%. I have a 3rd condition set for what I call "taxiing mode" where I have full steering but only 40% power which I use to taxi my ride to the speedrun starting point while reducing the likelihood of making an unwanted throttle error sending me off the course, then switch to a 4th condition which gives me 100% power but dual rate turned down to ~25% for the actual speed run and I use one button to turn my headlights on and off (I do most if not all my speedruns between 2-4am because daytime traffic simply does not have any breathing room whatsoever for sending a 100+mph missile down a road where everyone else is doing 30).

I also make full use of Castle's telemetry and a Futaba temp sensor for the motor (though this doesn't really have anything to do with the buttons per se). I haven't mastered the thing by a long shot (a lot of menu items pertain more or exclusively to fuel powered racers) but if I can help you figuring anything out let me know. I have a 4PV as well and I think the menu is similar enough to the 4PM that we can get it worked out.

Edit: sorry, I should have read the whole post. I'll have a look a little later at how to start/stop the timer. When you say you're changing the throttle limit when handing it to your progeny, what exactly is happening? Are you bumping one of the buttons on the cowling around the wheel (DT 1-4)? I would have expected the 4pm and 3pv to have similar menus but obviously they do not, judging by what you said. Now I'm wondering if the menu of my 4pv is closer to the 3pv or 4pm. I'll have a look at some manuals and get back to you on that when I have some clarity.

Edit 2: here's a screen protector for the 4pm: https://www.rc-tworks.com/products/ta-085-4pm-futaba-4pm-screen-protector

Last edited:
To change the to lower power for my son, I go to the section called "Endpoint" and then there is a THR for throttle. I can change this pretty fast. I'm not sure I have "conditions". I'll pull up a manual and look for that, though I've not run across it.

I like the idea of different model setups, though the kids are now used to being able to change the throttle stop by 1 percent and will say "hey dad, can you go up one on the speed".

I'm wondering if I should be using the ESC's torque limit feature. I have no idea how that works, but I do have the ESC's white wire connected to the receiver just because it was there to connect. Maybe I should try mapping the torque limit to channel 3 and controlling that way?

edit: Oh, and thanks for the link to the screen prot. :D

To change the to lower power for my son, I go to the section called "Endpoint" and then there is a THR for throttle. I can change this pretty fast. I'm not sure I have "conditions". I'll pull up a manual and look for that, though I've not run across it.

I like the idea of different model setups, though the kids are now used to being able to change the throttle stop by 1 percent and will say "hey dad, can you go up one on the speed".

I'm wondering if I should be using the ESC's torque limit feature. I have no idea how that works, but I do have the ESC's white wire connected to the receiver just because it was there to connect. Maybe I should try mapping the torque limit to channel 3 and controlling that way?

edit: Oh, and thanks for the link to the screen prot. :D
Glad I could be of assistance. I'm assuming you're using a CC ESC judging by your comment on torque limiting. Don't bother with that. While it can be interesting for drag racing, I find using an the aux channel to change the max power output much more useful for every day use. Torque limiting is more of a fine tuning thing. Power output is where the sledgehammer lies ;-)
I'd use that and map it to the DL-1 rotary control (see image) in the trim/dial menu and just leave the endpoint set to 100. Plug the aux connector into channel 3 and map DL-1 to channel 3 control. Don't forget to map the aux channel to power output in the Castle link software (sorry if I'm pointing out obvious things, I just like to be thorough and head possible future issues off at the pass). I hope this makes sense.

1652108265033.png

ya, that makes sense. I'll give that a try on the 4pm.

The 3pv doesn't have rotory dial, so if this works well, then I'll either have to upgrade that radio or figure out another way for that one. I think channel 3 on that radio is just a switch.

ya, that makes sense. I'll give that a try on the 4pm.

The 3pv doesn't have rotory dial, so if this works well, then I'll either have to upgrade that radio or figure out another way for that one. I think channel 3 on that radio is just a switch.
On the 3pv I think you should be able to map it to DT3 if I'm not totally off my rocker.

I'd like to use the 4pm to adjust throttle rate for drag racing. Use a curve to control initial hit (control tire spin) and apply full throttle at a predetermined point. Can it be done? I'm a 78 year old guy who's comprehension is slowing down! 😆

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back