Futaba / castle 1717 / MMX8S

Rcproponent

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 8S, Kraton 6s, Notorious, Talion, Typhon 6s
Good evening everyone.

I am having issues with my new setup....

I have the futaba 3pV and Mmx8s with the new sensored 1717..

My issue is when I program everything and then go to drive it, I have 1/2 power in forward and full power in reverse. I can’t figure out how to manually program this. Do I have to get the castle link or is there some work around? I’ve looked through the instructions and I just can’t figure it out.

Spaz04

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 6s, Outcast 6s
Not sure if this will work or not but I think you could swap two motor wires then reverse channel 2 in your radio. Just a thought 🤔

Rcproponent

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Not sure if this will work or not but I think you could swap two motor wires then reverse channel 2 in your radio. Just a thought 🤔
Motor is sensored...

Rcproponent

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I had to buy the B-link to change the motor direction on my 2028 sensored combo.
That’s what I was afraid of... damn, that’s another $50+ shipping 🤦🏻‍♂️

jondilly1974

Speed running apprentice, 3D printing fool
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Granite, Kraton 6s, Typhon 6s, Typhon 3s
Ordered the link... now I wait... 🤦🏻‍♂️
You can program the ESC without the USB Link or a program card. Read your Drivers Ed cars for directions to program via beeps.

Rcproponent

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
You can program the ESC without the USB Link or a program card. Read your Drivers Ed cars for directions to program via beeps.
Wow... so after some very confusing stuff...

She’s up and going now. Maybe it’s those big trenchers or maybe I need to gear it up a bit more.. but I was expecting a little more out of this motor. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m running 6S a 16T Pinion with the big ol 3.8 trenchers. (Belted) might switch back to some backflips and a 20T. Temps stayed under 170 degrees. So I think I’ll add a fan, gear up to 20 and give that a try... then maybe I’ll give her a rip on 8S

Just an FYI to anyone using the futaba stuff, if you have your remote reversed like I did to make the car go the right way, you have to treat the throttle opposite for the programming portion. That was VERY confusing.. 🤦🏻‍♂️.. it over now. Lol

[email protected]

Reaction score
50% power means the radio is backwards. Reverse the channel on the radio. The LED on the ESC should be showing a Green LED when you are giving it gas and a Red LED when giving it brake/reverse. Default settings are 100% forward power, 50% reverse power.

Change the radio channel and reverse the motor in programming. Castle Link, B-Link, or read the manual and use Stick/Manual Programming with your radio.

Rcproponent

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
50% power means the radio is backwards. Reverse the channel on the radio. The LED on the ESC should be showing a Green LED when you are giving it gas and a Red LED when giving it brake/reverse. Default settings are 100% forward power, 50% reverse power.

Change the radio channel and reverse the motor in programming. Castle Link, B-Link, or read the manual and use Stick/Manual Programming with your radio.
Thank you for the reply Robert! I finally did end up figuring everything out. In the end it turns out that radio and esc need to be set reversed for it to work properly. I’ve discovered this is the truth for all the futaba setups I have. 👍🏻👍🏻 I appreciate the reply though, thank you!

Jimbobjr

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 8S, Kraton 6s, Outcast 6s, Talion, Typhon 6s

I don’t know how I didn’t know this. The whole reason I haven’t bought any castle esc’s is the programming. I have a MAC and do not need any other part of my life controlled by my phone. Thank you for this information, i wonder how many are like me and stay with hw because they never knew this...

jondilly1974

Speed running apprentice, 3D printing fool
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Granite, Kraton 6s, Typhon 6s, Typhon 3s
I don’t know how I didn’t know this. The whole reason I haven’t bought any castle esc’s is the programming. I have a MAC and do not need any other part of my life controlled by my phone. Thank you for this information, i wonder how many are like me and stay with hw because they never knew this...
I have both the USB link and the B Link so I’ve never needed to program with the beeps. I didn’t know until this question came up and I checked the manual. I figured there had to be a way to get into program mode without a Link or card.

Rcproponent

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I was one of those people. I’m also one of those people who is glad he got a castle.. lol.

Can’t wait to see the potential of this thing with a real pinion in her ;)
I have both the USB link and the B Link so I’ve never needed to program with the beeps. I didn’t know until this question came up and I checked the manual. I figured there had to be a way to get into program mode without a Link or card.
I appreciate the effort in helping me solve my problem. This right here shows how great this forum is, people taking time out of their days to help other people. (I try and do the same) and I appreciate the help bud🍻 You are the reason I got this figured out and didn’t have to buy a $50 part!

Much appreciated!

fpvmiller

Don't just bash...Mod!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Infraction, Limitless, Kraton 6s, Typhon 6s
What bec voltage are you set at for your mmx8s? I am now guilty of getting 2 and waiting for it in the mail. Right now my hw escs are all set to 7.4v bec and the mmx8s has 7.5v as an option. I also use the 3pv so your trials are now my cautions 😁 (y)

Rcproponent

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
What bec voltage are you set at for your mmx8s? I am now guilty of getting 2 and waiting for it in the mail. Right now my hw escs are all set to 7.4v bec and the mmx8s has 7.5v as an option. I also use the 3pv so your trials are now my cautions 😁 (y)
The bec voltage isn’t a manually programable option..Or at least one I can find. so now I have to order that $50 part anyways 🤦🏻‍♂️ Lol

fpvmiller

Don't just bash...Mod!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Infraction, Limitless, Kraton 6s, Typhon 6s
I got time to read the online manual :ROFLMAO:

Hammer Down

Never ever! pick it up by the handle
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
The coldest place on earth!! (Aka) Minnesota
Arrma RC's
Infraction, Limitless, Kraton 8S, Kraton 6s, Outcast 6s
now I have to order that $50 part anyways 🤦🏻‍♂️ Lol
The MMX8s comes with a coupon in the box for a free castle link or a programming card for $10. So if you have a pc all you need is the free castle link.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.