Futaba servos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sludog

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
I'm looking to pick up a radio and receiver this week. Leaning more towards Futaba over Spektrum at the moment. Probably a Futaba 3pv or T4pm or 4pv radio. Seems Futaba has quite a few different receivers that can be bundled with the radios. There are lots of variations of the 304 receiver and 334 and so on. My question is what are the difference of the servos in the same group and is it a big difference between the 304 and 334 receivers.
Not a racer so only need for 1/8 scale bashing with trucks and buggies.

I'm looking to pick up a radio and receiver this week. Leaning more towards Futaba over Spektrum at the moment. Probably a Futaba 3pv or T4pm or 4pv radio. Seems Futaba has quite a few different receivers that can be bundled with the radios. There are lots of variations of the 304 receiver and 334 and so on. My question is what are the difference of the servos in the same group and is it a big difference between the 304 and 334 receivers.
Not a racer so only need for 1/8 scale bashing with trucks and buggies.
The internal antenna version of the 304 (R304SB-E) is working great in all my rigs. I have the R304SB in my speed runner for the extra range. The only downside to the 3PV is it is kind of dated, and has limited range on cheap rechargeable AA batteries, but otherwise works well. I would highly recommend a 2S lipo for powering the transmitter.

I'm gonna explain this as best as I can...Futaba is a confusing at first with their protocols meaning, FHSS, T-FHSS and T-FHSS SR. FHSS, is their generic reciever, it's slow...no telemetry. However, without it, wouldnt see T-FHSS or the T-FHSS SR...
Futaba is using an FHSS keep that in my mind because, T-FHSS "T" stands for telemetry. T-FHSS has a faster speed (communication speed between reciever and the transmitter is faster compared to FHSS reciever). The T-FHSS SR, eventhough it supports telemetry, you sacrifice the SR mode (Super Response)...if you want SR mode, you wont have telemetry. The 304 receiver is a T-FHSS receiver without SR (hence no SR on receiver labeling). 304 receiver is a 4 channel receiver. The 334SB reciever supports both SR and the T-FHSS...Anytime you see "E" in the receiver name, it means it has an internal antenna or E for electric antenna...
Hope this helps...

Remember, if you don't know already...the 4PM replaced the 4PV and the 4PLS...4PM is a 4 channel radio that supports SR. It has the same capabilities as the 7PX without the bells and whistles and -3 channels...the 3pv is a 3 channel radio.

What are you wanting to achieve or purpose to switch to futaba??

I'm gonna explain this as best as I can...Futaba is a confusing at first with their protocols meaning, FHSS, T-FHSS and T-FHSS SR. FHSS, is their generic reciever, it's slow...no telemetry. However, without it, wouldnt see T-FHSS or the T-FHSS SR...
Futaba is using an FHSS keep that in my mind because, T-FHSS "T" stands for telemetry. T-FHSS has a faster speed (communication speed between reciever and the transmitter is faster compared to FHSS reciever). The T-FHSS SR, eventhough it supports telemetry, you sacrifice the SR mode (Super Response)...if you want SR mode, you wont have telemetry. The 304 receiver is a T-FHSS receiver without SR (hence no SR on receiver labeling). 304 receiver is a 4 channel receiver. The 334SB reciever supports both SR and the T-FHSS...Anytime you see "E" in the receiver name, it means it has an internal antenna or E for electric antenna...
Hope this helps...
Wow that was an awesome example and very informative. How long have you worked in Futaba sales?:p
No seriously, do you have a Futaba radio? Which radio and receiver would you recommend for bashing? Im leaning towards the T4PM just because it should be more future ready than the 3PV and less money than the 4PV.
Remember, if you don't know already...the 4PM replaced the 4PV and the 4PLS...4PM is a 4 channel radio that supports SR. It has the same capabilities as the 7PX without the bells and whistles and -3 channels...the 3pv is a 3 channel radio.

What are you wanting to achieve or purpose to switch to futaba??
I just finished building a Tekno Mt410 truck and need a new radio. Figured I could start there and then add my Arrma's down the line if needed.

4pk is cool too if you don't mind shopping for a used radio on eBay.

I have the 3pv and it was so very light and just solid. I now have a 3PM also used off eBay and it's not as nice, but I wanted the FASST protocol for range over 1200 ft.

I'm currently using/have the 4PM. I use it on my Nitro with the R334SB receiver. Can't use the R334SB-E because of the Nitro fuel. I also have the Reflex 14T with the R304SB-E receiver. Just ordered the 3PV for the 4S Kraton. The only reason why I ordered the 3PV is to have my 5 yo kid drive the Kraton and not to use my 4PM. Lol

If you not looking for cheap and a good quality radio, I would go for the 4PM. If it's just bashing and not worry about telemetry or the speed, I would try and find an older used version like an 4PLS or 4PV. The 3PV is old and outdated. With the 4PV or 4PLS, I would not buy a use unit that cost more than a new one (4PM) unless, if it came with an extra receiver and what receiver it is...

I forgot to mention this in my earlier posts...I personally hate/dislike spektrum not because of being spektrum but, their menu screen and layout for adjustments suck. That's my opinion, other people has no problems with spektrum menu however....what I do like about spektrum that Futaba doesn't do, futabas receivers are not waterproof....so keep that in mind

I'm currently using/have the 4PM. I use it on my Nitro with the R334SB receiver. Can't use the R334SB-E because of the Nitro fuel. I also have the Reflex 14T with the R304SB-E receiver. Just ordered the 3PV for the 4S Kraton. The only reason why I ordered the 3PV is to have my 5 yo kid drive the Kraton and not to use my 4PM. Lol

If you not looking for cheap and a good quality radio, I would go for the 4PM. If it's just bashing and not worry about telemetry or the speed, I would try and find an older used version like an 4PLS or 4PV. The 3PV is old and outdated. With the 4PV or 4PLS, I would not buy a use unit that cost more than a new one (4PM) unless, if it came with an extra receiver and what receiver it is...

I forgot to mention this in my earlier posts...I personally hate/dislike spektrum not because of being spektrum but, their menu screen and layout for adjustments suck. That's my opinion, other people has no problems with spektrum menu however....what I do like about spektrum that Futaba doesn't do, futabas receivers are not waterproof....so keep that in mind
Great info, thanks. I just picked up a slightly used Futaba 4PM with a 304 receiver for $165 on eBay. Also in the process bought a like new Tekno 410.2 buggy from the same guy for $350. Now I need to get a 2s racing lipo battery and receiver for the buggy.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back