FYI Castle XLX2 & Mamba Monster X8S service advisory statement released.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering if the MMX8S and/or XLX2 was responsible for blowing my Leopard and TP motors? I also blew a 1717, which shouldn’t fit this bulletin.
I am changing your name to motor slayer lol

Posted this in the other thread, this is the combo catching fire on the second run.
Seen a video with a castle 1100kV doing the same though. That one is sold as a combo.
This isn't the end of it is my guess.
Granted, that could be an isolated incident but I seriously doubt it. There are other factors in play as well.

The Leopard and 1717 both spun off their kevlar wraps. The TP 4050-CM 2300kv got demagnetized, they think due to heat. That was after swapping to the XLX2. Didn't have an issue with the MMX8S that I know of.

I guess I need to get out and make some hits soon. Weather is quite cold, but it can't be any worse than running foams, am I right? 😂🤦‍♂️
Maybe there is something different with the XLX2 versus the MMX8s, but both were mentioned in this notice to the customers....

You and I both need to learn how to drive on foams. :dead:

Just wait a few weeks for the firmware release.

For what it is worth, I have been running the TP 4050 3840kv d-wind very hard (over 400 amps) and have had zero issues.
I am supposed to be one of the lucky ones. Before these ESC cremation started, I just tested on bench a tp4050-cm 3200kv 6s 80000rpm with a MMX8s.
I honestly did not pull the trigger to the limit, but I tested some smooth accelerations/decelerations and except a slight heat on the motor the esc was pretty chilled. I did not have time to install on my limitless and test it under load, but I guess it's better to wait the firmware update. I don't wanna challange the fate a second time. By the way, i am a bit afraid that with this update they will start introducing some limitations over the power erogation, but maybe is the best way. This is just a conjecture of mine, nothing really proved.

So it's a D-wind motor compatibility issue that can trigger the burning lottery. I am guessing the kv advise is mostly a precaution as basically all 2000+kv motors on higher voltage are D-winds. I am glad to hear it can/will be solved by a firmware update. It means the one i currently have in shipping should have no hardware quality issues and I just needs to wait a little before it can be exposed to them mighty D-wind motors safely. The shipping will still take some time, so with a little of luck the firmware will be ready when it arrives.

Until now, I didn't publicly mention what happened with my early bird XLX2. I experienced the issue as described in the second part. A busbars misalignment apparently. I contacted castle and received excellent support. Shipped it back for investigation. As the publication says the issue has been addressed in subsequent manufacturing runs. So it should remain a rare case given the production volume isn't that large (yet)

My second XLX2 arrived today, (whiles my replacement for my early bird is still in shipping). A C28006 (12/20) It arrived early because it evaded customs apparently. So i saved 80€ on VAT and import tax :love: Seems like Covid and brexit do have some good sides

As i have no Y-wind motors at hand, I'll have to keep it on the shelf till the new firmware is released. It's too cold and wet here now anyways...

I am supposed to be one of the lucky ones. Before these ESC cremation started, I just tested on bench a tp4050-cm 3200kv 6s 80000rpm with a MMX8s.
I honestly did not pull the trigger to the limit, but I tested some smooth accelerations/decelerations and except a slight heat on the motor the esc was pretty chilled. I did not have time to install on my limitless and test it under load, but I guess it's better to wait the firmware update. I don't wanna challange the fate a second time. By the way, i am a bit afraid that with this update they will start introducing some limitations over the power erogation, but maybe is the best way. This is just a conjecture of mine, nothing really proved.
That was my thought as well. I hope they don't implement current limitations. All I run are MMX8S and WYE wound motors under 1800 kv so I will not update until the changes have been confirmed.

I sent my XLX2 in for the service inspection last Friday and got notice today that it tested with no issues. It should arrive by Saturday. If you're on the fence about using the service request, just do it. The turnaround is relatively quick.
SmartSelect_20210114-121047_Drive.jpg

I found a Y-wind 1900kv motor in one of my boats, so i decided not to wait for the new XLX2 firmware. Opened up the box and linked the C28006 to my pc. Castle's test scenario was still on the log:

castle test scenario.JPG

It haven seen some power and rpm made me confident to plug it in and calibrate the radio. Drove it a cautious minute on the driveway. All seems fine.

The estimated availability for this firmware is the end of January 2021.

I don't want sound impatient, but maybe i am...
I think that's fair enough, :D;)
...I mean they did say "estimated" but still I'd be a little impatient too if I'd spent a lot of money on an ESC that I couldn't even run in my RC without an update that I'm waiting on.

Hopefully won't be too much longer for you and everyone else who's waiting on the update.

Firmware update is available now for the XLX2 in case you haven't heard.

Statement from Castle;

Castle Creations

*𝗜𝗠𝗣𝗢𝗥𝗧𝗔𝗡𝗧 𝗨𝗣𝗗𝗔𝗧𝗘 𝗡𝗢𝗪 𝗔𝗩𝗔𝗜𝗟𝗔𝗕𝗟𝗘*
We do recommend all Mamba XLX2 ESCs be updated. The ability to update via your Castle B-Link Adapter with Android or Apple iOS will be available by end of day.
Please note that the firmware update for the Mamba Monster X 8S that will allow the use of D-wind motors as well as motors greater than 2000kv, is forthcoming.

Click here: https://home.castlecreations.com/download-castle-link

EDIT DATE: 2/09/2021

FIRMWARE UPDATE FOR MAMBA XLX2 IS AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD.

We recommend all Mamba XLX2 ESCs be updated. The ability to update via your Castle B-Link Adapter with Android or Apple iOS will be available by end of day.

Please note that the firmware update for the Mamba Monster X 8S that will allow the use of D-wind motors as well as motors greater than 2000kv, is forthcoming.
--------------

Did I miss anything or MMX8s firmware update is still under process?
Ok that it's not a worldwide emergency, that covid has priority on everything and that apocalypse is closer, but 2 months to fix a firmware that is probably not necessary like it was on xlx2, in my opinion is getting ridiculous. Many people did not experience fire on MMX8s like on the big bro, by the way castle creation specified that they fried some in their tests. So... do we have to wait they release the MMX16s to fix it?

You're capable of making your own decisions. You don't have to wait for anything. I have (5) MMX8S escs and I run whatever the hell i want on them and have had no issues. I have no intention of updating my firmware either when it is available. Im banking on them crippling something. I regularly and I do mean regularly pull over 380amps with a few of my MMX8S escs. I also don't run d-wind motors. I knew the difference between the two when I first started running brushless motors and other than different kv ratings, the way they are made and the demands they put on esc clearly seemed very off putting. The firmware will be available when it is available.

You're capable of making your own decisions. You don't have to wait for anything.
I am perfectly aware about that, and I have chosen to wait. I got my reasons.
I have (5) MMX8S escs and I run whatever the hell i want on them and have had no issues. I have no intention of updating my firmware either when it is available. Im banking on them crippling something. I regularly and I do mean regularly pull over 380amps with a few of my MMX8S escs. I also don't run d-wind motors. I knew the difference between the two when I first started running brushless motors and other than different kv ratings, the way they are made and the demands they put on esc clearly seemed very off putting.
All right, good for you. I run d-wind motors instead and over 2000kv. Two more reasons not to ignore their service advisory. Someone else, probably most of the people in here, dealed successfully with these kind of motors and MMX8s, but until you don't know there could be a potential issue, you just don't care and run. If it is clearly stated by the factory, would you risk? Up to you for sure. I wouldn't.

The firmware will be available when it is available.
Yeah dude, but you have to deal with "time" if you wanna stay in business.

I don't have a mmx8s, but I'd take the MMX8S service advisory with some grain of salt. The mmx8s was released much earlier than the xlx2 and the internet isnt filled with video's of them burning up like the xlx2 did on the old firmware.

When Castle put the advisory out they didn't have the solution yet and the mmx8s does share much of the same architecture. They eventually solved it on the xlx2 firmware and probably didn't deem it necessary/urgent for the mmx8s. I agree they should clarify though

I don't have a mmx8s, but I'd take the MMX8S service advisory with some grain of salt. The mmx8s was released much earlier than the xlx2 and the internet isnt filled with video's of them burning up like the xlx2 did on the old firmware.

When Castle put the advisory out they didn't have the solution yet and the mmx8s does share much of the same architecture. They eventually solved it on the xlx2 firmware and probably didn't deem it necessary/urgent for the mmx8s. I agree they should clarify though
Guys, I convene with all of you when you say that the product is reliable because has been widely tested even with high kv d-wind motors and in very extreme conditions. Probably if all this mess did not happen for the xlx2, we would not stay here to discuss either. By the way I don't think the factory put an advisory just to damage their name and say there is a problem when instead it's all right. So yes, I agree with you when you say that at least they should clarify, hopefully within this year.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back