Garage made shock towers, brace, support and wing setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are 6061. It is what I have on hand in the garage. It is extruded bar stock though which is generally stronger than sheet. Sheet is often annealed for easier workability in press work. 7075 would be ideal for the towers. If I bend them I would try 7075 but I’d have to buy the stock. No cnc’s here just older manual type. I have a Bridgeport mill, Southbend lathe, delta saw and an old belt sander. There’s a pic of my Bridgeport up on the 1st post.
I work for 3M Corp. Superbrasives division where I run several cnc machining centers. They are very strict about using their equipment and material for personal use. I thought about opening a job shop years ago but found it easier just to work for someone else. Just too lazy I guess. I have done a fair amount of side work at home but if there’s overtime at work I make far more money there...
it’s a shame not more young people get into machine work, I learned in high school and them trade school. It’s easier on the body then many of the trades and the pay and demand can be very good. We have openings for machinist and tool and die makers almost constantly. There are two openings right now...we had a guy retire yesterday so his job will be up too.
Our ceo was walking the plant the other day and asked me where people learn to do machine work these days. I told him the only place I know is maybe prison. (they may just play video games there now). Everyone thinks manufacturing is dead in America but it isn’t. Also many service oriented machine jobs connected to public transportation, power plants, and medical that no one thinks of. Instead of spending 120,000$ on a bs in whatever and not find work. Young people could do better and spend a couple years in a free apprentice ship and make 80,000$/year when they’re done at age 21 or so. Not a bad deal...sorry about all these words that have nothing to do with rc cars.

This is awesome dude I’m impressed with how nice your parts are off the manual. I’m a cnc machinist as well, mainly a programmer who sets up the machines for operators. I wish I was that good on the manual Bridgeport!! I’m currently working on programs for shock towers. Unfortunately my shop is strict with machine use for personal things as well but I can get away with modeling and writing programs at my computer. I wish I had a cnc in my garage haha I’d be cranking out parts for myself and anyone who wanted em. You did a hell of a job on them parts man good $hit. If you ever get a cnc in your garage there let me know I’ll send ya programs !!

This is awesome dude I’m impressed with how nice your parts are off the manual. I’m a cnc machinist as well, mainly a programmer who sets up the machines for operators. I wish I was that good on the manual Bridgeport!! I’m currently working on programs for shock towers. Unfortunately my shop is strict with machine use for personal things as well but I can get away with modeling and writing programs at my computer. I wish I had a cnc in my garage haha I’d be cranking out parts for myself and anyone who wanted em. You did a hell of a job on them parts man good $hit. If you ever get a cnc in your garage there let me know I’ll send ya programs !!
You’re a machinist too, cool. (@Camaroboy383 and @Mr.Duke are as well as a couple others here) We are dinosaurs...sometimes I feel like a one of the last brontosaurus saying “where did everybody go”. I run turning 2 and 3 axis turning centers (Mazak and Hardinge) and mills (Haas) now and then. Mostly program at the machine and some at a pc with an old program called partmaker. I’ve had mastercam training but don’t have the support on night shift to really learn it.
I really like manual machining which I did for the first ten years of work in a tool room at a razor blade factory. Still use them at my job now and then, mainly fixturing or tooling though. Much of the manual skill has been replaced by programming skill. I’m not one of those old guys complaining about it. Programming takes great skill, order operations, the right tools and solid setup are still key to long lasting tooling and high production.
I thought about having a cnc mill in the garage. It would be nice but $ and having space and electric is a bit of a problem. I passed on a little benchtop enco cnc at a high school auction one time which would have been perfect for rc parts in small batches. It went for peanuts. The enterprising ship has sailed for me, lazy fun garage time is what I like. Btw, if you ever need to use my mill or lathe let me know. They are not the best but good for rc stuff but not NASA or Rolex...
Jim

You’re a machinist too, cool. (@Camaroboy383 and @Mr.Duke are as well as a couple others here) We are dinosaurs...sometimes I feel like a one of the last brontosaurus saying “where did everybody go”. I run turning 2 and 3 axis turning centers (Mazak and Hardinge) and mills (Haas) now and then. Mostly program at the machine and some at a pc with an old program called partmaker. I’ve had mastercam training but don’t have the support on night shift to really learn it.
I really like manual machining which I did for the first ten years of work in a tool room at a razor blade factory. Still use them at my job now and then, mainly fixturing or tooling though. Much of the manual skill has been replaced by programming skill. I’m not one of those old guys complaining about it. Programming takes great skill, order operations, the right tools and solid setup are still key to long lasting tooling and high production.
I thought about having a cnc mill in the garage. It would be nice but $ and having space and electric is a bit of a problem. I passed on a little benchtop enco cnc at a high school auction one time which would have been perfect for rc parts in small batches. It went for peanuts. The enterprising ship has sailed for me, lazy fun garage time is what I like. Btw, if you ever need to use my mill or lathe let me know. They are not the best but good for rc stuff but not NASA or Rolex...
Jim

Awesome! Yeah i program using mastercam and powermill which is by Autodesk. Ive got a dinosaur of a mazak, a few Harding 3 axis mills and a 5 axis hurco which is really fun. Programming and cnc has definitely taken over the machining world, I wish I had the skill some of the older guys have on the surface grinders and Bridgeport’s and stuff. It’s a lost art unfortunately. I’ve been in the machining trade for about 8 years now so basically as soon as I stated I was using mastercam and cimco edit. I used to run some kitamura my centers for a aviation company. Never got the chance to hone any manual skills. I use our manual clausing lathes regularly but just for simple stuff. It’s great being able to apply my skills as a machinist to my RC and Firearms hobby’s! I appreciate that offer! I’m in the Philadelphia suburbs, not sure where you are but likely far away haha.

Funny you mention firearms. I remember a time when we’d bring guns in to work on all the time and no one even questioned it or cared.
Buddy, you have some awesome skills there. You can pretty much work anywhere you want.
Love the Hurcos. Used run run a couple of those years ago. They were around before the Mazak s and came up with an easy system for conversational programming. Everyone thinks it was Mazak but it was the American company Hurco. I could never talk our company into them, Haas all the way.
Jim

Funny you mention firearms. I remember a time when we’d bring guns in to work on all the time and no one even questioned it or cared.
Buddy, you have some awesome skills there. You can pretty much work anywhere you want.
Love the Hurcos. Used run run a couple of those years ago. They were around before the Mazak s and came up with an easy system for conversational programming. Everyone thinks it was Mazak but it was the American company Hurco. I could never talk our company into them, Haas all the way.
Jim

I conceal carry and luckily my boss is a 2A supporter so I’m aloud, encouraged even, to carry at work ?? Now I just need to learn gun smithing so I can tinker with em here. I’ve milled out 80% lowers here, my boss let me do that haha since I did a few for him. Yeah my fiancé wants to move to South Carolina, I’ve been thinking about hitting up Mitch at M2C racing see if he’s got a job opening for me ? the hurcos are so different with their control, I think companies try to stick with fanuc or Mazatrol. Was hard to convince our owner to buy a hurco. I went to training for them just so he’d buy it

Hey guys!! I’m also a Cnc machinist & since we got a new supervisor the personal perks of doing your side projects is a big no -no!! Hate to say this but my era of machinists( might be urs too) are be replaced by know it all youngsters who only know about quick change tooling a.k.a keep replacing tool til u get ur result...they couldn’t trouble shoot their way out of a bag 🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back