Notorious Gear Alignment Issue and noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harvey Rowland

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello,
So the Notorious has been getting a good caning and after a bit of an inspection last night i noticed the gears werent fully aligned and its only running on one edge of the gear. Is there a way to move the motor/gear a bit to line it up better?
i have also noticed the small gear seems to be stripping out the alloy housing a bit...Whats gone wrong here?
sorry this is probably grade 1 stuff but its my first decent rc car and ive never really done work on rc cars before.
Appreciate any help!

20200831_204702.jpg

20200831_204810.jpg

The smaller gear on the motor is called the pinion. There’s a set screw in the pinion. It’s meant for a 2mm sized Allen wrench. Loosen it, move the pinion so it’s centered, and tighten it down. I’d recommend using blue lock tite as well.

Pretty common issue, I always check the pinion on every car I get, sometimes they’re not that tight from the factory.

Looks like the pinion has moved back on the motor shaft, on my noto I literally was able to pull it off the shaft by hand straight out of the box, set it back in position and use red locktite to set it (24 hrs cure)
I use blue or orange on most ally yo ally but for anything driveline I use red

Had a look at giving the pinion gear adjustment a go and it seems i will have to remove the motor to get to the grub screw is that correct?
Arrrghhh im a bit scared but i assume its not rocket science to do ?

OK so i have adjusted my pinion gear to align with the main gear however when the car is going high speed now there is a serious banshee sound coming out of it. Have i meshed the gears to hard together? I have a video but cant seem to attach it.
I cant adjust the motor to find out cause the screw head has stripped out and i cant get it out :mad: why they use such small hex heads for something that has to be so tight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back