Gear replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickybobby802

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Has anyone had any trouble with replacing the pinion gear on the motor. Because today I stripped the gear breaking and accelerating hard on grass. So I took the motor out and tried to remove the set screw and well it wouldn't budge. So I brought it to my dad who is a lead machinist and he literally had to cut away slowly at the gear until he got to the motor driveshaft. And then still had to shimmy the gear off needless to say it wasn't an easy task.

Attachments

• 14919526426131953803728.jpg
    14919526426131953803728.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 55
Do tried to make the screw hot to "unlock" the loctite?
Was the driveshaft of the motor little damaged in the area of the set screw?

Sometimes such issues like you´res can happens, the question is why it happens.
It is very difficult to judge that case without to check it visual.

Hi

The pinion gears that normally come with RTR RC's or most RC'S for that matter are usually made from a fused metal alloyed, not something gears should be made from. Add onto that the low qulity of the grub screws and you will end up with what happened to you. I would recommend getting a good quality pinion gear and grub screws, there a little bit more expensive but it's well worth it. Robinson Racing makes some good quality pinion gears.

Do tried to make the screw hot to "unlock" the loctite?
Was the driveshaft of the motor little damaged in the area of the set screw?

Sometimes such issues like you´res can happens, the question is why it happens.
It is very difficult to judge that case without to check it visual.
We did warm it up but not enough to damage the motor also like I said my dad is a lead machinist he deals with extracting stuck parts and metals I'm lucky he was able to safely remove the gear. I have purchased a new one. And I believe I will be a little less harsh on my outcast, but 6s is just so much fun

Many of us had to heat the grub screw with the tip of a soldering iron, in order to melt the red Loctite they use in the factory. Having a machinist for a dad, is going to make adding custom part to the car easier than normal.

Hi

The pinion gears that normally come with RTR RC's or most RC'S for that matter are usually made from a fused metal alloyed, not something gears should be made from. Add onto that the low qulity of the grub screws and you will end up with what happened to you. I would recommend getting a good quality pinion gear and grub screws, there a little bit more expensive but it's well worth it. Robinson Racing makes some good quality pinion gears.
Could you post a link with the Robinson racing pinion gears that will safely fit the outcast.

So I was just on that page too looking for a replacement pinion for the stock one I stripped recently and a stock replacement doesn't seem to be available anywhere until late May

The Robinson racing pinions are better than the stock ones from arrma and fit the Kraton? It looks the be the right specs but wondered if anyone's actually tried it.

They're not that expensive so worth a shot since I can't get a stock replacement for a while

Has anyone had any trouble with replacing the pinion gear on the motor. Because today I stripped the gear breaking and accelerating hard on grass. So I took the motor out and tried to remove the set screw and well it wouldn't budge. So I brought it to my dad who is a lead machinist and he literally had to cut away slowly at the gear until he got to the motor driveshaft. And then still had to shimmy the gear off needless to say it wasn't an easy task.
Arrma pinions suck,went to local hobby an got Robinson racing pinion,red locker,still holding. I heat Allen wrench red hot an hold it in bolt head for 20 second a few times heating down threw screw,than grab a cool Allen wrench an well loosen.if not Benz torch heat gear an pry an pull off.do it in my living room.lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back