Outcast Gear swap snafu

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaatus

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
I was in the process of finally putting things back together and since it was the first time I had my outcast 6S really stripped down, I decided to swap the “speed” gear in while I was putting a few other things in as well. And of course, as luck would have it, I managed to strip the darn grub screw while in the process. The question is, anyone have a pro tip for how to deal with this before I go get a new set of easy outs? (God I’m sick of losing stuff...) the screw is still nice and tight. Am I Stuck?

I was in the process of finally putting things back together and since it was the first time I had my outcast 6S really stripped down, I decided to swap the “speed” gear in while I was putting a few other things in as well. And of course, as luck would have it, I managed to strip the darn grub screw while in the process. The question is, anyone have a pro tip for how to deal with this before I go get a new set of easy outs? (God I’m sick of losing stuff...) the screw is still nice and tight. Am I Stuck?
I don't no if it's a pro tip. But I got like square or star shape bit and pound it in there nice and tight and try turning it out. And of course put some heat on it. Or you might have to drill it. Or Dremel it best of luck

I don't no if it's a pro tip. But I got like square or star shape bit and pound it in there nice and tight and try turning it out. And of course put some heat on it. Or you might have to drill it. Or Dremel it best of luck
I think drilling may end up being the answer. I had no idea those little buggers were made with such cheap crappy metal. It’s just all wallowed out. I’m going to attempt to heat it up nice and warm and then cram a slightly bigger torx bit down in there with a pair of channel locks and see if that does anything.

I think drilling may end up being the answer. I had no idea those little buggers were made with such cheap crappy metal. It’s just all wallowed out. I’m going to attempt to heat it up nice and warm and then cram a slightly bigger torx bit down in there with a pair of channel locks and see if that does anything.
Yup that's what I try do first drilling my last option.

Try tapping in an sae fractional size Allen that’s just a little bigger than the metric size.
I also like those square tapered extractors.
And a little heat of course.
I tried everything. I’m boned... I can’t get what’s left of the screw out without mucking up the output shaft of the motor, so it looks like I get to buy an new frigging motor now. I swear when it rains, it pours...

I tried everything. I’m boned... I can’t get what’s left of the screw out without mucking up the output shaft of the motor, so it looks like I get to buy an new frigging motor now. I swear when it rains, it pours...
If you do booger it up a little you may still be able to use it. Good time to go ahead and upgrade the power too! hahahaha

I wouldn’t give up.
Get a good quality new drill bit just a little smaller then the threads. Maybe 5/32
Go slow. Do you have a dental pick or something similar? One you get it weakened you might be able to use it to work it out.

I wouldn’t give up.
Get a good quality new drill bit just a little smaller then the threads. Maybe 5/32
Go slow. Do you have a dental pick or something similar? One you get it weakened you might be able to use it to work it out.
Unfortunately, I did try those things. I’m going to try one last trick and see if a mini gear puller can get it off. But if not, I’m seriously considering the upgrade route. I like that spektrum set with the built in Telemetry. But I don’t know if it’s just a gimmick or worth it.

Back