Outcast Gearing and/or speed issue 🤔

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BashingBrian

#ArrmaAddict #RCwhore
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast EXB
  5. Talion EXB
  6. Typhon 6s
So, I finally got some free time to test the Outcast 8s 😁 didn't have a 25T as suggested but had a 26T..
Bit disappointed to be honest....
My setup currently is Max5, TpPower 5660 1054kv, 26T/47T
I used the usual SkyRC gps to measure the speed and it only managed 44mph, that was on a flat paved road 😩 so it's now slower that stock..!!

Trying to understand where to go next, change spur or pinion or both..!!

How do you judge the max RPM of a motor if you have no telemetry to look at ??

Would I be right in saying if you under gear you could exceed the max RPM ??

IMG_1253.PNG

Motor temp..!!
I know D wind's run hotter but this is a bit much I think vs the ESC and batteries temps ??
( this was after only around 5-7 minutes of bashing around, full speed pass or two and some jumps.!! )

IMG_1254.jpeg

ESC temp..

IMG_1255.jpeg

Battery temp..

IMG_1256.jpeg

Curious what sort of top speeds you's guy's are getting in your Outcasts and the temps ??
Any tips or help greatly appreciated 👍🏼

Last edited:
Very surprised at the motor temp. Seems very high for such a low speed. Was this after a full pack of speed laps?

Very surprised at the motor temp. Seems very high for such a low speed. Was this after a full pack of speed laps?
Maybe my reasoning if way off, but I experienced more or less the same. I expected higher motor temps when I increased pinion on my DR8. I ran 4s and the stock pinion of 12T and decreased to 11T to lower temps. It still ran hot and than I thought “maybe it’s because I’m running a lot with full throttle and with higher rpm‘s“. I changed to 16T (I thought F-it don’t wanna go up 1T at a time, takes to long 😂) and it ran much cooler, even on 19T pretty cool.
Although it may feel illogical, try to gear up first and see what happens. You’ve got a serious power plant in your car😜

Maybe my reasoning if way off, but I experienced more or less the same. I expected higher motor temps when I increased pinion on my DR8. I ran 4s and the stock pinion of 12T and decreased to 11T to lower temps. It still ran hot and than I thought “maybe it’s because I’m running a lot with full throttle and with higher rpm‘s“. I changed to 16T (I thought F-it don’t wanna go up 1T at a time, takes to long 😂) and it ran much cooler, even on 19T pretty cool.
Although it may feel illogical, try to gear up first and see what happens. You’ve got a serious power plant in your car😜
I guess I can see higher RPMs being more responsible for motor heat than higher demand at lower RPMs.

I could see 45 mph ball park speeds being a similar load to a 60-70mph Infraction.
I think 120-150 F is reasonable for moving a 30+ lbs RC truck at a pretty brisk pace. (appears to be no fan or heatsink on the motor?)

You went down by 200KV so you lost some RPMs there versus stock. Ideally lover KV and 10mph slower should run cooler all things else remaining the same.

What sort of temps did it run in stock trim?

Looks like Ambient Temps are around 80-85 F ?

I was thinking the exact same thing too, so I've already swapped to a 28T and will give it another try later in the week..👍🏼
I guess I can see higher RPMs being more responsible for motor heat than higher demand at lower RPMs.
This is what I was thinking, if only HW had telemetry 😉

I could see 45 mph ball park speeds being a similar load to a 60-70mph Infraction.
I think 120-150 F is reasonable for moving a 30+ lbs RC truck at a pretty brisk pace. (appears to be no fan or heatsink on the motor?)

You went down by 200KV so you lost some RPMs there versus stock. Ideally lover KV and 10mph slower should run cooler all things else remaining the same.

What sort of temps did it run in stock trim?

Looks like Ambient Temps are around 80-85 F ?
Yeah, the plan with this build was not to use extra fans..🤔 ambient temp today was around 68F when I was out..
Can't remember the temps on stock setup as it had a fan fitted and I never took any pics for reference 😩

Last edited:
Managed to get out this morning with the 28T pinion, I pretty much did the same as before, bit of bashing with a couple of speed passes.
I got a whole 1mph more top speed 🤣🤣🤣 but the temps were much better as you can see below.
@Sandracer_NL called it right, I went up a pinion size and temps went down 👍🏼 my plan was to go up again to a 30T later today and......... well go look at the "what did you break today" thread 😉😩🤣

IMG_1316.jpeg
IMG_1317.jpeg
IMG_1319.jpeg
IMG_1320.jpeg

Got an extra 1 mph..!! 🤣🤣🤣

IMG_1315.PNG

One week later....
Got out today, this time 30/47T and the results were pretty much the same as last time when running the 28T.. 🤔
Exact same speed 😩 but it didn't feel as good as the 28T for some reason...
I think I need a larger space to wind it up for a true top speed as I run out of space and have to hit the brakes..!!

IMG_1408.PNG
IMG_1409.jpeg
IMG_1410.jpeg
IMG_1411.jpeg

Till next time....

Yeah need a larger area to wind it out. Im doing over 50mph offroad with 29/47. Gearing to low or to high will make the motor hotter.

Last edited:
I’m running the leopard 58113 1050kv with 34/39 gearing, it’s scary fast. Motor temps are around 130 bashing around but I do have diy dual fans on the motor and 1 larger fan on the max 5. Maybe try changing out the spur to a 39 and keep the 30 pinion.

Last edited:
Gave it another try today, much bigger space and was able to max out the top speed..!!
Still on 30/47 and all temps were good 👍🏼 It was wet today though, so I think to be honest I could have gone maybe a few more mph's if it was dry..

IMG_1541.PNG

P.S. having an Outcast 8s wizz past you at 51mph is pretty scary..!!🤣🤣🤣

Yeah 30 pounds, with you in control of it is scary:ROFLMAO:
The fastest 8s rig I saw was around 100mph. Using Foams though and differnt electrics. Innovation RC.
The Kraton is longer and has better directional stability at those speeds. IMO.

So today I got out with the O8s and decided to try the 39T spur with with 29T pinion.!!
Basically did 50mph easily, so pretty much the same speed as before 🤔

Ended up breaking a rear arm and forgot to take any pics of speeds and temps 😩🤪

It never got too hot but I can't for the life of me remember what the temps were, so I'll give it another go and this time remember the photos..!!
The gearing on the O8s really puzzles me 🤣🤣🤣 how can it be the same speed with 29/39 as 30/47..!!

It still won't do standing backflips....

Last edited:
So today I got out with the O8s and decided to try the 39T spur with with 29T pinion.!!

It never got too hot but I can't for the life of me remember what the temps were, so I'll give it another go and this time remember the photos..!!
The gearing on the O8s really puzzles me 🤣🤣🤣 how can it be the same speed with 29/39 as 30/47..!!

I'm running 30/39 xlx2 & hobbystar 980kv. It's my sweet spot for sure. I have the skyrc fan and the stocker on the xlx2. No issues with heat, although it's 105 where I am right now so I can't say if it'll overheat or not. I usually run in the morning or dusk in the summer.

Trenchers will make you backflip really easy. It's damn scary actually lol. I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a 2nd set for the o8s.

I'm running 30/39 xlx2 & hobbystar 980kv. It's my sweet spot for sure. I have the skyrc fan and the stocker on the xlx2. No issues with heat, although it's 105 where I am right now so I can't say if it'll overheat or not. I usually run in the morning or dusk in the summer.
How has that gearing been holding up for you. I have a TP 5670 1010kv on order and going to putting it into my Outcast 8s. Sounds like 30t has been working well?

How has that gearing been holding up for you. I have a TP 5670 1010kv on order and going to putting it into my Outcast 8s. Sounds like 30t has been working well?
It's been good. I haven't run it in a few weeks due to house and family duties, plus it's been wet. Since the last time I ran it I ended up getting a radical bash bar and all diff housings are metal along with the diff cases. Swapped back to stock arrma rear arms and kept my rpms up front. Went with the m2c heavy duty outdrives
aswell. Fully weighted with my gens 8000s amd lockup Xs came out to an even 37lbs. The 980kv at 30/39 is all good.

I use 29/39 on my 1100kv 2028 k8s and it's not bad at all. You'll probably like 30/39. I do plan on going up to 31/39 or so too as I don't like how slow my k8s feels in comparison to my XRT's lol. My outcast is 36/47 on 1070kv and it's not bad either. I'm actually tempted to put in the 39t spur and drop pinion for a lil more speed. Maybe I should just be happy with my cool temps and call it a day though? :ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back