Gearing and Temps Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagsy

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

just purchased an EXB and have a question about gearing. It’s currently running:

TP4050CM 2300kv motor
Max 6 esc
12t pinion
50t spur

I’ve only run one 4s pack (all I have currently) through it just to check it over. The run was only in my garden but used quite a lot of full throttle (purposely) and braking (set to 25% on esc). I got my temp gun out after about 15-20 mins and the temps were:

motor - 180 deg F
Esc - 120 deg F (not sure where to measure this but that’s the hottest part I could find!)
LiPo - 110 deg F

motor temp seems quite high but have heard the TP motors run hot. I have a couple of questions I’d appreciate some advice on:

Am I undergeared which is why the motor is too hot?

Would running 6s increase those temps much? Don’t want to fry the motor if I do run 6s!

For info, checked the mesh and it’s not too tight and I don’t have any fans on the motor currently.

any advice would be much appreciated.

TIA guys.

4ED4A66A-B54B-442D-8B45-44D9C83947ED.jpeg

Last edited:
I believe motor magnets start losing their attraction around 180 F. I’d definitely make some changes before running it again.

Smaller pinion. Motor heat sink and fan.

Hi guys,

just purchased an EXB and have a question about gearing. It’s currently running:

TP4050CM motor
Max 6 esc
12t pinion
50t spur

I’ve only run one 4s pack (all I have currently) through it just to check it over. The run was only in my garden but used quite a lot of full throttle (purposely) and braking (set to 25% on esc). I got my temp gun out after about 15-20 mins and the temps were:

motor - 180 deg F
Esc - 120 deg F (not sure where to measure this but that’s the hottest part I could find!)
LiPo - 110 deg F

motor temp seems quite high but have heard the TP motors run hot. I have a couple of questions I’d appreciate some advice on:

Am I undergeared which is why the motor is too hot?

Would running 6s increase those temps much? Don’t want to fry the motor if I do run 6s!

For info, checked the mesh and it’s not too tight and I don’t have any fans on the motor currently.

any advice would be much appreciated.

TIA guys.

View attachment 161739
What KV on the motor? That makes a huge difference. Also, the CM aren't great bashing motors.

I believe motor magnets start losing their attraction around 180 F. I’d definitely make some changes before running it again.

Smaller pinion. Motor heat sink and fan.
Thanks for that; heat sink and fan are at the top of my shopping list! I thought 180 deg F was the very max though, hence I stopped the run at that point.

the esc and battery are quite a bit cooler though and I thought the rule was:

hot motor + cool esc & batt = undergeared

Any chance I’m under geared and need a bigger pinion?!
What KV on the motor? That makes a huge difference. Also, the CM aren't great bashing motors.
Hi,

sorry, just added that to the post, it’s a 2300kv motor.

I have read they weren’t ideally suited to bashing but I did speak to TP power and they said it was suitable for off-road use up to 6s.

Last edited:
Just took the motor out to inspect it. the pinion had slid back towards the motor can (grub screw had come slightly loose) and there are some wear marks on the pinion. That probably won’t have helped!

Maybe the motor wasn’t seated/aligned correctly?

9FDCB597-AB57-4D68-9431-ACB26517063A.jpeg

Thanks for that; heat sink and fan are at the top of my shopping list! I thought 180 deg F was the very max though, hence I stopped the run at that point.

the esc and battery are quite a bit cooler though and I thought the rule was:

hot motor + cool esc & batt = undergeared

Any chance I’m under geared and need a bigger pinion?!

Hi,

sorry, just added that to the post, it’s a 2300kv motor.

I have read they weren’t ideally suited to bashing but I did speak to TP power and they said it was suitable for off-road use up to 6s.
Sure they CAN be used off roads, but they will run hot like you are saying. If that is a 12T pinion, you can’t really go down any more. You can only run smaller tires, slow it down on your throttle, or add lots of high powered fans. But my suggestion would be a cooler running motor. You can get a cheap 1600-1700kv motor that would run way cooler

Ok great, thanks.

I thought TP motors were quality, hence why I bought this exb but turns out it’s probably not the right choice really.

think I’ll sell it on and get something lower KV. I’d rather stick to 4s initially if possible as they are the lipos I have (and gear it up a bit), what would your suggestion be in terms of motor?

Ok great, thanks.

I thought TP motors were quality, hence why I bought this exb but turns out it’s probably not the right choice really.

think I’ll sell it on and get something lower KV. I’d rather stick to 4s initially if possible as they are the lipos I have (and gear it up a bit), what would your suggestion be in terms of motor?
TP are good motors, it's just the particular one you chose was not the best fit. Square peg, round hole.

As far as what I chose to put in my KEXB, I now have a MAX6 and Hobbystar 4092-1730kv (link below), but I don't have enough packs through it to fully endorse it. I bought this motor because many others here love it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HobbyStar-...30KV-1-8-RC-Monster-Truck-Truggy/172708923510

TP are good motors, it's just the particular one you chose was not the best fit. Square peg, round hole.

As far as what I chose to put in my KEXB, I now have a MAX6 and Hobbystar 4092-1730kv (link below), but I don't have enough packs through it to fully endorse it. I bought this motor because many others here love it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HobbyStar-...30KV-1-8-RC-Monster-Truck-Truggy/172708923510
Cheers for that. Motor was already fitted when I bought it but guess I should’ve read up more on the different models prior to buying 🤷🏽‍♂️

thanks for the link. I’m presuming you run 6s, what pinion and spur do you run with it?

thanks for your help.

Cheers for that. Motor was already fitted when I bought it but guess I should’ve read up more on the different models prior to buying 🤷🏽‍♂️

thanks for the link. I’m presuming you run 6s, what pinion and spur do you run with it?

thanks for your help.
I believe I am running an 18T on 6S.

If you wanted to run TP Power still, lower KV is one factor as mentioned 1700 is a good range for the heavier rigs like the EXB.
Also larger cans help dissipate more heat.

TP4070 or you could move up to a 56mm motor (1/5 scale).

Lots of threads on what people did in the build threads section that would probably be worth a read.

If you wanted to run TP Power still, lower KV is one factor as mentioned 1700 is a good range for the heavier rigs like the EXB.
Also larger cans help dissipate more heat.

TP4070 or you could move up to a 56mm motor (1/5 scale).

Lots of threads on what people did in the build threads section that would probably be worth a read.
Thanks for the advice. I do like the TP motors but, like you say, definitely need to go lower on the KV. Only thing is they are pretty expensive compared to some other brands so if the cheaper ones are just as suitable for KEXB bashing then might just stick with them.

I’m furiously scouring the forum for setups as we speak!

thanks again.

Thanks for the advice. I do like the TP motors but, like you say, definitely need to go lower on the KV. Only thing is they are pretty expensive compared to some other brands so if the cheaper ones are just as suitable for KEXB bashing then might just stick with them.

I’m furiously scouring the forum for setups as we speak!

thanks again.

Some cheaper motors can run within 5% difference of the TP Power performance. For a basher you wont notice that difference.
Only thing to watch out for is the bearings can be cheaper on some lower cost motors.

Some cheaper motors can run within 5% difference of the TP Power performance. For a basher you wont notice that difference.
Only thing to watch out for is the bearings can be cheaper on some lower cost motors.
Thanks for the tip. Are there any budget brands that always use higher quality bearings? Or is a bit luck of the draw?! 😬

Thanks for the tip. Are there any budget brands that always use higher quality bearings? Or is a bit luck of the draw?! 😬
Not sure on that, one guys experience may be different than another.
I think if you keep them clean and have a regular oil/grease cycle to keep them up they should last.

The best thing would be to take the cheap motor and install better bearings.

A good endorsement???!! 😇
I have seen nothing but issues with the 1717's lately. I wouldn't advise on those motors right now...
Pretty sure it’s because they are very commonly paired with an MMX8S. I plan on testing my 1717-1260 with a MAX6 here soon to see how it runs.

Pretty sure it’s because they are very commonly paired with an MMX8S. I plan on testing my 1717-1260 with a MAX6 here soon to see how it runs.
Good point although there was still the Kevlar wrap issues and motor shaft bending/soft allow issues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back