Gearing for 6s - Castle 1515 non sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cordell12

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Running a Arrma Kraton and currently geared with a 17T pinion and stock Spur gear, with 4s and a Castle 1515 2200kv motor (non sensored). I want to move to 6s soon and am worried my motor will get too hot the way I am set up right now. Motor temps currently will hit just below 160 Fahrenheit on 4s, this is running it hard on both street and off road. My castle motor has a single fan from Castle no heat sinks on the motor. I live in Texas, so heat will be a issue in a few months. I see only two choices here, they are...

A. Change pinion - Will I lose top end speed? I want to move to 6s to be faster than what I am currently.

B. Sell the Castle and buy a lower kv motor, like a Leopard. Though I would rather not spring for a new motor if I don't have to.

Any ideas? Please explain, Thanks.

Last edited:
bought a Yeah Racing Twin Tornado Fan system for the Castle motor this morning, still don't think this will be enough for the Texas heat

In my use of the castle 2200kv with a MMX I found that the motor gets hot on grass/ dirt with anything above a 14 pinion. I put in a 2000kv motor from an Old Nero I have and that thing flies, faster and cooler than the 2200kv castle motor.

Maybe you will have a better experience, I just couldn't find the power increase I expected with that motor on my Kraton without having heat issues.

In my use of the castle 2200kv with a MMX I found that the motor gets hot on grass/ dirt with anything above a 14 pinion. I put in a 2000kv motor from an Old Nero I have and that thing flies, faster and cooler than the 2200kv castle motor.

Maybe you will have a better experience, I just couldn't find the power increase I expected with that motor on my Kraton without having heat issues.

Is your experience with 6s or 4s? I have yet to GPS my speed but I pass my son's Nero 6s with a1480kv 4092 Leopard in it. He takes me off the line but after 70ft I leave him in the dust, and that me on 4s. I know Nero is much heavier, so prob isn't the best comparison.

I would love to help but I don't know what vehicles your running... it could be that I'm a dumb dumb but I don't see anything but a Nero mentioned.

Btw. Going from 4s to 6s is a pretty good jump in power. Lose a tooth or two on your pinion and your still probably going to get plenty of extra speed. Just temp it every now and then to see where your at. Either that or move on up here to Seattle. We have plenty of cold weather to help keep temps down...

I would love to help but I don't know what vehicles your running... it could be that I'm a dumb dumb but I don't see anything but a Nero mentioned.

My bad...It is a Kraton. I edited the first post ;)

Btw. Going from 4s to 6s is a pretty good jump in power. Lose a tooth or two on your pinion and your still probably going to get plenty of extra speed. Just temp it every now and then to see where your at. Either that or move on up here to Seattle. We have plenty of cold weather to help keep temps down...

So if I want to gear that high, or higher I'll need a lower KV motor? Guess it is time to brush up on motors :confused:

Last edited:
Yep. Time to brush up on motors... what kind of motor for what your doing is important. I run a tekin set up when its dry and just doing really super smooth runs. It is meant for more technical running. When I'm out just beating the crap out of it and impressing my nephews with "driving on water". I just run the stock waterproof, still totally fun o.e.m. esc motor get up. Btw, I have a Typhon with a truggy motor. It's rad.

That's the thing, I want a crazy fast all around basher/flat surface speed demon! I am hoping these Yeah Racing Tornado Twin fans with heat sink will enable me to keep my 1515 castle and allow me to run 6s with a 16T pinion. I don't have the stock esc or motor so I'm kind of stuck in being able to swap out like you. Wishing I did have it now though, bought my Kraton used for $280 shipped. Came with tons of upgrades, well worth it for sure.

My son uses two 3s batteries for his Nero. Just bought a 2-Male XT-90 to 1-Female XT-90 series adaptor and will give 6s a run on the castle 1515 :D

Top will be off, temp gun in hand, and will have the new fan system on it first. Pinion will be 17T :eek::eek::eek:

@Toiletpimp

Bought a Battery series connector, ran my sons two 3s Venom batteries the other day on my Castle 1515. My Katon was flying, I must've hit 70 mph with that 17T pinion! I made stops to temp the motor and 140 is the hottest I seen, seems strange as I've seen it hit near 160 on 4s. From a stand still I mashed the throttle and did backflips LOL. I was also quite impressed how straight the Kraton drove at this speed. Steering was touchy, but it stayed rather straight the whole time. About halfway into the run I threw a diff cup off the rear Input Shaft, lost a dogbone/driveshaft from center to rear diffs. Almost wish I had not done this, now I want 6s batteries LOL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back