Typhon gearing on road

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBOB

Reaction score
I have a typhon 6s with a castle 2200kv castle monster x 6s esc gearing 22/46 with proline avengers hp soft belted wheels I also run the silver hoons wheels I would like a little more speed. any recommendation on what other size pinon gear I should try? I was also thinking about changing the center differential fluid to 500k and putting 60k in the front and 50k in the rear. will changing out the monster x 6s esc to a mmx8s esc improve the performance of the buggy? not looking to do speed running I mainly do a little street running/bashing up and down the street

I would say with that kv and gearing you have what you were looking for. Much more and it will mainly be a speed run car. Diff fluid is a personal choice but i'd recommend a EXB center diff.

I would say with that kv and gearing you have what you were looking for. Much more and it will mainly be a speed run car. Diff fluid is a personal choice but i'd recommend a EXB center diff.
with a exb center diff a 46t spur gear can not be used with a exb diff

Robison racing makes a 40t speed pinion an you can still use stock center diff..here's where you are currently

Screenshot_20221211-022749.jpg

40t spur an 30t pinion will get ya close to 100mph.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221211-023011.jpg
    Screenshot_20221211-023011.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 45
If you speed running why not put a spool and eliminate your center diff, then you can put whatever you want for a gear as you change motors and escs . You won’t be limited to anything as you keep progressing with higher speeds with a center spool . Just my thought

Going for a spool instead of a center diff is only good for going straight. When not speedrunning keep a diff...

Increase the pinionsize for more speed and only upgrade the esc when it's can't deal with the heat/amps. The motor is certainly capable of much higher gearing.

Going for a spool instead of a center diff is only good for going straight. When not speedrunning keep a diff...

Increase the pinionsize for more speed and only upgrade the esc when it's can't deal with the heat/amps. The motor is certainly capable of much higher gearing.
All I can remember about 1st times putting together an running a spool.😆😅🤣😂 what a complete disaster it was,didn't really know what I was doing an couldn't keep it together,gears,cups kept coming loss with a few runs that ended with zero brakes or cup came off,then shafts went flying an I just tore up a bunch of stuff...I'd always advise someone new to spools to try an stick with a 40t center diff long as possible,cause they very rarely come apart..lol .....I never had the patience to let loc-tite dry long enough an I also was useing cheap arrma spool parts instead to quality parts..live an learn in speed for sure

My vote is still exb center diff, best of all world for power transfer from my experience. And just run a monster pinion. You don't have to have a tiny Spur, you can also run a monster pinion and get the same effect lol. I still stick with his gearing originally stated compared to what he wishes this machine to do its already set lolol. He stated a little more. Ok stick with what you got and go up a tooth or two in pinion. Done!!

My vote is still exb center diff, best of all world for power transfer from my experience. And just run a monster pinion. You don't have to have a tiny Spur, you can also run a monster pinion and get the same effect lol. I still stick with his gearing originally stated compared to what he wishes this machine to do its already set lolol. He stated a little more. Ok stick with what you got and go up a tooth or two in pinion. Done!!
I thought about running a bigger pinion with a exb 50t spur gear but I think the biggest pinion gear I can run with a 50t spur gear is a 27t pinion with the stock motor mount
I thought about running a bigger pinion with a exb 50t spur gear but I think the biggest pinion gear I can run with a 50t spur gear is a 27t pinion with the stock motor mount
I will try maybe a 24t pinion and mabe a 26t pinion with the 46t spur gear first

Pretty sure that would be plenty 27t 50t is gonna cut that stock esc and then youll want a new esc as you stated u may do, and then prolly more gearing cause the new esc can handle it. Then you have turned it into a speed run car at that point, hahaha

If your just looking for 70mph from the 65mph ur at add a tooth or two to your pinion, cheap and done deal.

Pretty sure that would be plenty 27t 50t is gonna cut that stock esc and then youll want a new esc as you stated u may do, and then prolly more gearing cause the new esc can handle it. Then you have turned it into a speed run car at that point, hahaha
I currently have a castle monster x 6s esc in my typhon now I will see what kind of performance I get with changing a few pinion gears(24t 26t). if I do upgrade my esc I will be upgrading with a castle mmx8s esc
I currently have a castle monster x 6s esc in my typhon now I will see what kind of performance I get with changing a few pinion gears(24t 26t). if I do upgrade my esc I will be upgrading with a castle mmx8s esc
I don"t get down on the throttle hard all the time every now and then I do

If your just looking for 70mph from the 65mph ur at add a tooth or two to your pinion, cheap and done deal.
70 to 75 will be good enough for now

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back