General discussions - FAST RC boat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming this is for your Rigger you want to build .If you're planing on 8s you'r going to have to go with a 1/4" flex , a piano wire drive or a solid drive shaft.

They have a gear driven transmission off of the output shaft of the turbine which connects to the flex shaft.
Yes for the rigger I'll be running 8s with a custom piano wire drive.
Found a guy that makes the whole setup with Delrin inserts in the tube to support the piano wire.

I am going to test the ESC out in my 42" deep vee just for fun and to make sure the ESC is good given their history 🔥

Yes for the rigger I'll be running 8s with a custom piano wire drive.
Found a guy that makes the whole setup with Delrin inserts in the tube to support the piano wire.

I am going to test the ESC out in my 42" deep vee just for fun and to make sure the ESC is good given their history 🔥
I think I know who you got it from . I have the same style wire drive for my 1/8th scale hydro I'm slowly working on. Are you modifying the ESC for water cooling. Saw a post over on OSE where someone is modifing THE CASTLE xlx2 for water cooling. Should be great when done.

Ran the 42" mono tonight.
I had modified the x447 prop by sharpening it to knife/razor spec and also changed it from 1.4 pitch to 1.6 pitch.
This resulted in around 8 more mph on 4s. (previous 4s was running 38 to 40 mph)

48 on GPS.PNG

I ran 6 back to back speed runs on it in under 1 minute and the XLX2 never even broke a sweat or turned on the fan.
Such valuable data. Clearly able to crank up the prop further.

6 runs 4s at 48 mph.PNG

Here you can see I went from 20% throttle to 100% within about 1.5 seconds and still was not hard on the ESC.

4s 48 mph x447 42 in mono.PNG

I only managed to do this today. Been a somewhat frustrating weekend with prop shaft coming loose one day and after replacing it this happened on the 2nd pack. No idea how, but possibly hit something underwater. Good thing this was a cheapo alu CNC prop.

20210912_235142.jpg

I only managed to do this today. Been a somewhat frustrating weekend with prop shaft coming loose one day and after replacing it this happened on the 2nd pack. No idea how, but possibly hit something underwater. Good thing this was a cheapo alu CNC prop.
Hopefully not another gator!

That is one of my biggest fears... loosing a prop or prop shaft during a run.
At least with 1/2 the prop there you can still limp it back to shore.

I believe it was a turtle but no bodies floating in the water, no idea, honestly.
I used my rescue tug for recovery, there is no limping back. The added vibration will break stuff quickly. Better safe than sorry.

The other friend broke his driveshaft and when we got it back onshore there was barely 1" of the ~20" shaft left in the tube. Almost lost it with a $50 prop on it. Use a cable saver, that $1 investment pays back quickly, it's a little inconvenient though.

View attachment 168860
Aluminum Prop? I've heard they can snap pretty easy.
My new Miss Geico got delivered last Thursday. Waiting on new Dashboata 1716 props to be delivered.
20210913_212752.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, alu cnc just for general mucking around.
Friend got the Miss Geico and it's going nice on stock props. Easily in the upper 60's on our small lake, he can't stay full throttle. Top was 67mph on this run.

Put a 60mm prop on the mono hull with 1.7 pitch.
Not to go faster but to load it up on amperage to see how it handles a high stress situation.

Only went 53 mph on 4s versus getting 48 mph with a 47mm prop. Ideally this prop should have gone 60+ but its a turd.

Anyway..... great stress test on the ESC and proved to me that it can handle the stress and the motor also stayed around ambient temps while being hit with 300+ amps.

several runs.JPG

53 mph m1760.JPG

53Capture.JPG

Is that a wrap or paint?
TeckWrap on Amazon.
Its not very durable and not easy to apply. I think that is the case for any Vinyl other than 3M brand most likely.

I hate wraps in general but I cannot achieve this color otherwise with paint and certainly not at this low cost.

Another day, another gator and another broken prop.
I must have given him a new haircut....🤦‍♂️
That bastard was easily 14ft long and was next to the shore. We saw him before and tried to stay out of his area, but he surfaced ~ 10 min after I lost my prop exactly where it happened. That's the second one now 😱

20211030_135048.jpg

Back