General discussions - FAST RC boat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are cheaper recovery versions. Tube, pool noodle motor with prop and tupperware container, diy.
Seriouy thinking about an Alligator head but you need some power and speed.
Trying to avoid the 'need boat to recover boat' issue. Adds at least $150 and so on. Sonicwake needs additional $300 from what I know, which is arguably little.
All of a sudden it's $1k and hasn't even gotten into the water yet.

Boats aren’t any cheaper that’s for sure😂

951D1FD7-187F-48E3-91B4-34A1ADA02577.jpeg

651EFB1A-6EE1-402A-8F0D-7D2A185659DE.jpeg

Just do not be tempted to work on any props containing beryllium i.e. polishing, sharpening etc. That is potentially lethal, no joke. The dust is worse than mercury and asbestos combined. Safe to handle otherwise, it's the fine dust that is a silent killer. Frequently in use on boat props.

Just do not be tempted to work on any props containing beryllium i.e. polishing, sharpening etc. That is potentially lethal, no joke. The dust is worse than mercury and asbestos combined. Safe to handle otherwise, it's the fine dust that is a silent killer. Frequently in use on boat props.
That is good to know, thanks for the heads up!
I think I'll probably invest in SS props at some point for the extra durability.

That is one of those hidden dangers, by all means there is a reason they are around, and typically it's a brass/beryllium mix. Vendor would know.
You can buy them polished, i.e. leave that to the pros. SS, composite etc that is a science by itself and not educated enough just yet.

Need a summer hobby in FL, and we have plenty of lakes, issue with 'rescue' swimming is just the small reality of gators and snakes. Every body of water has at least one gator, that is just a fact. A lot of folks with little dogs learn quickly, especially after just having moved to FL.

$449 for a recovery tool!?
We are looking at getting a Kayak... Walmart has one for $198.00
You can usually find them used on Craigslist for cheap. Most people that buy camping/sports gear never use them.

Attachments

• F4CE1705-C479-45FE-BF50-5BA50E9E132F.jpeg
    F4CE1705-C479-45FE-BF50-5BA50E9E132F.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 62
Big shout out to @Speed/267 who graciously donated some boat parts to me!
I am continually amazed by the members of this forum :love:

I started cleaning up this ol' boat on Saturday in preparation of the conversion to electric. Ends up the boat is 41" long. I had thought was around 37"....

Removed the old school stuffing tube out of the bottom as I will be converting to a stinger setup. Also removed the wood from the bottom, which was epoxied in and had to be removed fully with a Dremel tool.

Rear Capture.JPG

inside Capture.JPG

Cutting 1 Capture.JPG

hole 1 Capture.JPG

cleaned up Capture.JPG

gel coat crack Capture.JPG

There are some cracks on the outside which are only cosmetic. Several layers of fiberglass behind it with no cracks.
Something to keep an eye on once it hits the water.

Once the new parts come in I'll mock up the layout and can fiberglass all the holes. (It will add a little strength too.)

Also as a side note I found this pond in a new neighborhood that is exactly 1/4 mile.
Should work great for testing boats (easy recovery) and even speed runs possibly. Due to the high banks it is well shielded from the wind.

Speed run spot Capture.JPG

I had to get out of the boat hobby years ago. The dreaded paddle of shame (recovery) out weighed my funness. Too fast wrong hull and too much air🤣. Oh yeah i slapped a dock post once so i gave it up. It is alot of fun and i do get to watch at the lake which is 50 yrds from me.

I had to get out of the boat hobby years ago. The dreaded paddle of shame (recovery) out weighed my funness. Too fast wrong hull and too much air🤣. Oh yeah i slapped a dock post once so i gave it up. It is alot of fun and i do get to watch at the lake which is 50 yrds from me.

I was thinking there would be less crashing, given there are so few obstacles out in the water :ROFLMAO:

Yep same here, but found out every wave can be an obstacle :facepalm:
This was part of my thinking for using the 41" hull that should take the waves on a little better and building this boat for a top speed around 30mph max.
We do have several ponds available also that are calm water even on windy days.

The rigger that I plan to build next.... that will be a different story. I am shooting for 120+ mph speeds on that one.

This was part of my thinking for using the 41" hull that should take the waves on a little better and building this boat for a top speed around 30mph max.
We do have several ponds available also that are calm water even on windy days.

The rigger that I plan to build next.... that will be a different story. I am shooting for 120+ mph speeds on that one.
Are you looking at a zipp for your rigger?

Are you looking at a zipp for your rigger?
No I am mentally ill and have to build things up to be the most extreme possible.
Looking at building my own for ultra high speeds using an XLX2 on 8s:

1624987103186.png

Back