General Drag car build questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1.21 Gigawatts

Reaction score
I am thinking about building a drag car. Nothing sanctioned; just for bragging rights on my street. ;) I started wondering what would make the best drag car.

Drag racing is about power to weight ratio and traction, so it seems to me that a light weight 4wd car would be ideal. Sure you can slam a huge motor in a Limitless and power it with an equally big batteries and esc and you wind up with a 13lb monster. Is that required though? What if you had a car that only weighs 2.4 lbs? I would think that it would be easier to get it to accelerate faster. Is it that simple, or is traction a limiting factor?

I have a couple of mostly unused LC Racing trucks (2.4 lbs with 3s battery). Can I turn one into a decent drag car or will it be too light to get the necessary traction? What would it take? I'm thinking a 2850 motor, Max 10 esc, heavy diff oil both front and rear, and wide foam drag slicks. Is it worth trying?

I would look at some the the new ready made drag cars for ideas and inspiration. My .02 , Losi dr10 and traxsux

Just informal "let's see who has the fastest car" with neighbors. No-rules drag racing; no set distance. I'm thinking that a light car would have the advantage if it can keep the wheels on the ground (which is my worry).
I would look at some the the new ready made drag cars for ideas and inspiration. My .02 , Losi dr10 and traxsux
I did, but they seem to be built for a specific rule set (2wd, 2s). This is for no rules, "run what you brung" street racing. A couple of my neighbors and I are in an informal competition for street bragging rights.

Last edited:
If your not following any rules... A Typhon 6 S with street tires will work just fine. Put a honker motor/esc in it and abuse your neighbors...

If your not following any rules... A Typhon 6 S with street tires will work just fine. Put a honker motor/esc in it and abuse your neighbors...
Yeah, but that would be too easy. Also, trying to find a use for something that I already have that I am no longer using. Hoping that a 2.4lb rc has an unfair advantage over on that weighs 5 or 6 times that.

My 3s Typhon already holds the current crown (beating the Maxx), but my neighbor went out and bought an E Revo which I suspect will be faster.

PFFT.. Crapsucks E-revo? Really?

You want to be the fastest with no rules on the street you need a 10th touring car with a 3500KV 540 can on 4s, tons of rear toe in and tons of front toe out. You'll drag all A$$ all day long..

PFFT.. Crapsucks E-revo? Really?

You want to be the fastest with no rules on the street you need a 10th touring car with a 3500KV 540 can on 4s, tons of rear toe in and tons of front toe out. You'll drag all A$$ all day long..
That's the kind of info that I am looking for and somewhat confirms my suspicion that a lightweight 4wd chassis is the way to go. My LC Racing is only 20mm shorter in wheelbase to a 1/10 road car, so maybe I will try to make it work.

Besides the toe settings noted above, what are the other secrets to get it to hook up without going sideways or airborne? What about tires? Is the widest that will fit applicable to 4wd? Gearing?

My fastest car so far 0-40 is tied between my stretched Typhon and my Infraction at 0.94s. My Infraction has done a 2.64s 188ft. I need to get back to working on that 188ft number. But to be honest, I haven’t seen anyone put up a better time yet so it’s hard to stay motivated.

That's the kind of info that I am looking for and somewhat confirms my suspicion that a lightweight 4wd chassis is the way to go. My LC Racing is only 20mm shorter in wheelbase to a 1/10 road car, so maybe I will try to make it work.

Besides the toe settings noted above, what are the other secrets to get it to hook up without going sideways or airborne? What about tires? Is the widest that will fit applicable to 4wd? Gearing?

The lighter you are with the most power and traction you can have, the faster you're gunna go. I would do the regular 10th scale rubber tires (lighter) and (balance them).. You will have to experiment with compounds for your street temperatures. I would also do a FPV Drone 4s pack with high C rating, much more compact and lighter. Since there are no rules, a steering GYRO will help you tremendously. Point A to point B is your goal, not the set up looks of it..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back