Kraton Germans go for higher KV?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ment for off-road. Until recently HW had only one “basher” (non sensoren) off-road combo for 1/8 according to their own product sheets: the max8 and 2200kv motor. Because a lot of people judged is as too light (runs hot) and went for the Max 6/4985 combo which is technically a 1/6 scale combo.
I would expect HW to fill the gap and come up with a 42xxx 1800 kv -ish motor. Instead the new HW systems have even higher KV’s.
If you can’t find a particular HW kv motor you’ll have to settle for a different brand motor in that kv. Manufacturers have many clever ways of marketing products intended to target a specific demographic. Companies compete against each other like this which is why you’ll see identical merchandise from sigh different companies. Spektrum has a 150amp esc/2050kv combo…. Hobby wing comes out with a 150amp esc/2600kv combo, why?., everybody wants to upgrade at some point and HW wants to be that easy gateway to your hobby endeavors. It’s an identical replacement with better performance and at a decent price. They can afford to do this because sales prove there’s a demand for it. TP Motors happens to make a wide variety of kv selections and it’s because people are buying them and speed running them., they are D wound motors and serve a different purpose than Y wound. HW would be taking a chance to compete against them.
A heavier motor can handle more amperage as it can get rid of the heat better, it has more magnet weight inside and more coil weight. It does not have to work as hard to get the same wattage as a lighter motor. If you take a 1650 kv Hobbywing on 6s and adjust your speed via pinion to 80 km/h and compare it to the stock motor 2050kv on 6s with speed adjusted to 80 km/h via pinion, you'll find the stock motor needs a fan, the 1650KV does not. Typical Kraton or Mojave setup. Why? Because the 1650 kv motor is a lot heavier, can handle more power without getting so hot.

If you take two motors , same weight (400 gram) but different KV and adjust the speed in both identical trucks via pinion to 80 km/h you will find that the motor with the higher KV, running at the same speed (80km(h) will not be as hot.

So in summer you want the 50% heavier motor as it can dissipate heat better.

The problem with high running KV motors is when it will run fine on a 18T pinion but will get too hot on a 19T pinion. On a heavier low KV motor the difference in heat between one tooth is not as drastic.

So comparing motors in RC cars makes more sense when you adjust to the same end speed via pinion. (Or spur and tire diameter). Because that will draw similar amperage. The heavier motor will stay cooler.

Now compare a 500 gram motor at 2000KV at 100km/h in a Kraton with a 1000 gram motor at 2000KV in a Kraton. The heavy motor will stay cool, the lighter motor may get damaged. (Now that is theoretical as you will have trouble finding a 1000 gram motor with 2000KV.) So that is where the compromise comes in with a Hobbywing 1650 KV ca.600 gram motor compared to the 2050KV stock 6s ca.400 gram motor. The 1650KV motor needs a bigger pinion to reach the same speed as a stock Kraton. Adjusted to the same stock 6s Kraton speed (via pinion) it will stay cooler.

This all makes sense when comparing an unsensored motor with another unsensored motor.
That is the most profound thing I’ve ever heard 😐

TP Motors happens to make a wide variety of kv selections and it’s because people are buying them and speed running them., they are D wound motors and serve a different purpose than Y wound. HW would be taking a chance to compete against them.
Now this is getting technical..!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Don't think it's representative. Same physics over here.

The Max 8 combo is 189 EUR.
The Max 6 combo is 239 EUR.
Seems a lot of sellers push the Max 8 combo.

Or maybe we just go on the Autobahn without speed limits if we want speed while you guys put it in your rc cars. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
You might be right! My track days are behind me and I finally quit buying performance cars I couldn’t really exploit here in the U.S. without going to prison. As I age, my Ducati feels like a torture rack as well, and I’m probably going to sell it. And that’s for the best. I very seldom go out on that bike without hitting 100+ without even thinking about it. I’m now living vicariously through the RC hobby.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back